2023 Bleach Prices

Purchased liquid chlorine 2.5gallons about two weeks ago and I was the first of the season. Girl starts to ring me up at $13 each and the young man with her walks away and comes back and says we raised the prices this year and proceeded to change her price sheet at the register, now $18. I told him "who asked you, go away" (I was kidding with him).

• Wow
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Stopped in the local hardware store the other day n saw 10% for $8.99 a gallon.

This is from Home Depot today. Buying 4 individual gallons cheaper than the 4 pack….weird.

View attachment 468080
They don't sell singles anymore. Pool store has (i think) 12.5% at 4 for $30 ($10 more than last year) and its now cheaper than the 81oz hdx bleach...

*sigh*

At least the pool store prices are so overboard they don't have to raise them as much to keep making profits.

Inflation- big businesses saying screw you because workers started getting pay increases. Love all the companies raising prices because of inflation and somehow also making record profits...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
it's more cost effective to go with a swg?
I ran the #s for 16k gallons yesterday and it was slightly in favor of SWG for a full PB install. For a DIY install it was very favorable for SWG. The replacement cells which wouldn't need a controller or install costs were a little over 3X cheaper than $5 chlorine. The savings increases with pool volume, or still saves long term on smaller pools. You just won't see it until the 2nd cell @ $5 bleach.

Reactions: Golfer2000
I have two houses now in Arizona, and in the colder area where I don't have a pool I can get pool chemicals at Wal-Mart. Not in Tucson where we don't actually close pools. Off season, and they have to close them at 4500'. Just odd. Probably a better managed Wally as the ones in Tucson are decidedly ghetto.

So I haul gallons of stuff back on every weekend lately. The same tends to go for acid, but substitute in Home Depot for Wally on that one...

I have had to do that because my Universal 40 right now is toast. I have to replace a control board which I have but haven't done yet (lost an element on the LCD), and very likely the cell, which is disappointing as my pool is only 14.5K gal or so, and the cell and control board lasted only 2.5 years. I guess I'll get a new cell for it, but 2.5 years isn't the four promised.... $5.47 a gallon is the price but you can get 2x for $10 something so that is what I have been doing... relatively fresh too...

Having a pool is getting to be prohibitively expensive and it's not being used like everyone promised when I stopped saying no to building it... Sigh...

I have to be honest and say if I had to do it again I would have instead chosen a RJ instead of the Universal too but the Universal being "very similar" to the T-15 Hayward matched the rest of the equipment, so that is why I decided on it. I've had to fix something on all of the Hayward equipment at least once so far too so I should have known....

I have a lot of work to do on the pool in the spring... a day's worth of cleaning and sweeping.. probably new filter cartridges if I can afford them... a new cell for the Universal 40, repair of the innards of the Universal 40, water change to get the CH down from about 700 now... Maybe add a water softener outside inline since I don't want to add in borates to the pool since the dogs drink out of it no matter what I do...My detached hot tub is still disassembled from the element change as I was the only one using it and I have a medical reason currently that I can't use either... I can sure maintain all of it though....
I'm in Tucson too and E-Konomy is charging $9.40 a gallon of 12.5%, I just spent over $80 on f&^%ing pool bleach. Walmart is $5.47 for a gallon of 10% at the moment so I will be using them instead from now on. Every Spring the palo verde flowers fill the pool and the pool turns green unless someone is out there three days skimming every hour. The pool can't handle all the flowers. I started the shock and that's likely where most of this $80 is going. I cannot believe how ridiculous bleach prices are!!!

I'm switching to Walmar bleach because E-Konomy is selling 12.5% for $9.40 a gallon and I cannot keep that up, especially with the massive flower dumps we have from some of the native trees in Tucson (need to shock every time that happens). I've heard a lot of bad things about getting liquid bleach from Walmart such as they don't know how to store it, what's on the shelf is old, etc , etc. Any thoughts? It's $5.47 a gallon for 10% there right now (and less expensive bought in singles oddly, as someone in the thread noted) and I think I'm going to have to go with them from now on if I don't want to drain the pool.

I'm in Tucson too and E-Konomy is charging $9.40 a gallon of 12.5%, I just spent over $80 on f&^%ing pool bleach. Walmart is $5.47 for a gallon of 10% at the moment so I will be using them instead from now on. Every Spring the palo verde flowers fill the pool and the pool turns green unless someone is out there three days skimming every hour. The pool can't handle all the flowers. I started the shock and that's likely where most of this $80 is going. I cannot believe how ridiculous bleach prices are!!!
Do you use PoolMath app? There is a bleach calculator that standardizes the cost with varying % concentration.
So 12.5% at $9.40 is $0.588/oz and 10% at $5.47 is $0.427/oz. So WalMart is clearly cheaper.

You may want to run your FC at the high end of the range for your specific CYA. This will help offset the effects of the flowers falling in the pool. My guess you are running on the minimum FC requirements and anything additional such as the flowers will cause algae to grow. Please Review the chart for levels using liquid chlorine.
FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: proavia and Newdude
I'm switching to Walmar bleach because E-Konomy is selling 12.5% for $9.40 a gallon and I cannot keep that up, especially with the massive flower dumps we have from some of the native trees in Tucson (need to shock every time that happens). I've heard a lot of bad things about getting liquid bleach from Walmart such as they don't know how to store it, what's on the shelf is old, etc , etc. Any thoughts? It's $5.47 a gallon for 10% there right now (and less expensive bought in singles oddly, as someone in the thread noted) and I think I'm going to have to go with them from now on if I don't want to drain the pool.

I just opened the pool. I guess I am looking at $9/gallon for 10% chlorine; maybe $8 if I get lucky. Just a few years ago, I used to buy the Home Depot brand for that price for a case of 3! (My father-in-law would say "Old man Used is dead.")

Does anyone have any better ideas in the mid-Atlantic area? I guess if it gets really bad I can price out the SWG route, but then I am buying salt, so ...

I see that "Arctic White Bleach" is $2/gallon at Big Lots. Apparently they recently took the bleach concentration off the label (not a good sign). Has anyone calculated what it might be from usage? I may buy some and see how it goes. I can probably just throw in a whole gallon when needed. For all I know, it might be 2% or even worse, so maybe a total waste of time.

Walmart has been best for most areas at mid $5s. They have 10% pool essentials chlorinating liquid in the outdoor garden area. Lowes has the same brand, also outside but it's been in the $7s most areas.

Reactions: Decoy205
Walmart has been best for most areas at mid $5s. They have 10% pool essentials chlorinating liquid in the outdoor garden area. Lowes has the same brand, also outside but it's been in the $7s most areas.
Unless you're near a Menards, Farm and Fleet, or Woodman's. Then it's still $4-5/gal for 12.5%.

I'm so spoiled for LC

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.