2023 Bleach Prices

Anyone else finding themselves unable to pay for liquid chlorine due to price gouging or supply issues? I don't know what to do. I cannot afford $17 a gallon for chlorine when I use over a quart a night. Walmart appears to be permanently out of stock. What are people in lower income brackets doing? Draining your pool? I honestly don't know what to do.

I'd been getting LC from Walmart this summer until this week when it was out of stock in ALL stores. The swimming pool supplies like Leslies are $9 a gallon of 10% before tax, E-Konomy is $16 a gallon of 12.5%. At this point I'm seriously considering draining the pool. I cannot afford to keep it chlorinated. This is insane. Any suggestions?
Salt water chlorine generator for daily chlorination

Reactions: proavia
I'd been getting LC from Walmart this summer until this week when it was out of stock in ALL stores. The swimming pool supplies like Leslies are $9 a gallon of 10% before tax, E-Konomy is $16 a gallon of 12.5%. At this point I'm seriously considering draining the pool. I cannot afford to keep it chlorinated. This is insane. Any suggestions?
The TFP herd seems to be moving to the SWG pastures. I'll look at that next year, this year I'm going to focused on getting it covered and closed.

Was there a run on these supplies or something? Where I live, it's worse right now than in 2020. There isn't an explanation that I've found. Mostly crickets.

Because of LC out of stock in Walmart I stopped by my local pinch a penny and was pretty surprised how much cheaper their LC is now compared to last time I was there in February. Their 2.5 Gallon 10.5% chlorine refill is $7.45. Will buy from them for now. The only problem is the jugs aren't easy to handle due to the size.

If you drain the pool, you will ruin the plaster/pebble tec and it will cost 1000's to fix it.

Call around to janitorial supplies, pressure washing companies and possibly large animal feed & supply stores or local dairies to see if they have chlorine that they will sell you.

Any chance you know someone who has an account at SCP that is willing to add you to their cash account?
Last I heard it was about $22 for 4 gallons of HASA 12.5% chlorine in refillable jugs.

Barring that, install a SWG.

The TFP herd seems to be moving to the SWG pastures. I'll look at that next year, this year I'm going to focused on getting this sumbich covered and closed. Screw this.

Was there a run on these supplies or something? Where I live, it's worse right now than in 2020. There isn't an explanation that I've found. Mostly crickets.
Well, the TFP herd has more money than I do apparently. I cannot afford thousands of dollars to install and maintain a saltwater generator

If you drain the pool, you will ruin the plaster/pebble tec and it will cost 1000's to fix it.

Call around to janitorial supplies, pressure washing companies and possibly large animal feed & supply stores or local dairies to see if they have chlorine that they will sell you.

Any chance you know someone who has an account at SCP that is willing to add you to their cash account?
Last I heard it was about $22 for 4 gallons of HASA 12.5% chlorine in refillable jugs.

Barring that, install a SWG.
I don't know what SCP is and I don't have thousands to spend on a saltwater generator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know what SCP is and I don't have thousands to spend on a saltwater generator.
SCP is a pool supply wholesaler.
Spend 1000's on a SWG or spend the same amount on liquid chlorine in 2-4 years.
In the end, a SWG is cheaper.

Do you have automation?

If you are the least bit handy, you can self install a SWG.
A Circupool RJ45+ SWG would work well for your 15,000 gallons pool.

Well, the TFP herd has more money than I do apparently. I cannot afford thousands of dollars to install and maintain a saltwater generator
For your sized pool you can get a budget 40k gal model for under $900 if you install yourself
These are some recommended ones that folks have had good experiences with.

Pureline Crystal Pure Salt System, PL7700, Universal Pool Salt Chlorination System, Includes Control Panel, Salt Cell, 40,000 Gallon Amazon.com

Or hunt up a Hasa dealer for bulk chlorine
It says there are 4 in your area

SCP is a pool supply wholesaler.
Spend 1000's on a SWG or spend the same amount on liquid chlorine in 2-4 years.
In the end, a SWG is cheaper.

Do you have automation?

If you are the least bit handy, you can self install a SWG.
A Circupool RJ45+ SWG would work well for your 15,000 gallons pool.
I’m disabled , I realize most here are pretty privileged but I’m not I cannot afford saltwater generator no matter how much chastising I get

For your sized pool you can get a budget 40k gal model for under $900 if you install yourself
These are some recommended ones that folks have had good experiences with.

Pureline Crystal Pure Salt System, PL7700, Universal Pool Salt Chlorination System, Includes Control Panel, Salt Cell, 40,000 Gallon Amazon.com

Or hunt up a Hasa dealer for bulk chlorine
It says there are 4 in your area
I’m in an electric wheelchair, I can’t install pool equipment

Reactions: Mdragger88
Maybe folks would be less assertive about insisting I buy a salt water generator if they understand I’m in an electric wheelchair, I use a lift to be put into pool for therapy. i CANNOT magically come up with money for a saltwater generator no matter how much I am chastised for not doing so. I came here asking for help. Trying to find what people are doing to source liquid bleach with a legitimate concern I can’t keep the pool up with inflated bleach prices and so far all I’ve gotten is criticism for not installing a saltwater generator with money I don’t have and physical ability I don’t have. Maybe try to be a bit more compassionate with me?

@Swim138 I am sorry if you feel you are being chastised for not buying a SWG. I do not see it that way at all. The ask was for what others are doing about the high price of liquid chlorine. There have been some very good answers with different places to look to see if they have some in your area. Baring finding an "out of the box store" such as a janitorial supply store in your area the next thing would be getting a SWG. Now we know that is out of your current budget. The replies about the SWG were done before knowing your budget limits. Please know no one here means to chastise anyone else. The goal is to answer the question with solutions. I wish you great luck finding a cheaper source of chlorine in your area using some of the ideas given above. Please do let us know what you end up finding in your area. It might help someone else.

Kim TFP MOD

I can’t keep the pool up with inflated bleach prices and so far all I’ve gotten is criticism for not installing a saltwater generator with money I don’t have and physical ability I don’t have. Maybe try to be a bit more compassionate with me?
Sorry, we didn't know. We couldn't have known. But now we know. :)

Outside of the box is where to go. Check local cleaning companies such as an office cleaning company. Servepro comes to mind but maybe also window cleaners. Or carwashes. Alls it takes is one willing to sell you wholesale bleach on the side.

No one is trying to chastise - the current economic environment is such that a swcg is currently the cheapest way to chlorinate a pool long term albeit that you must pay for the years if chlorine it will produce upfront.
That’s just the math of it. 5-7 seasons worth of chlorine for the price of 1.5 -2 seasons with liquid chlorine at current prices.
Obviously that’s not a today fix.
If higher % pool chlorine is not available any unadulterated sodium hypochlorite (household bleach) will work. No splashless, flavored,scented, or fabric conditioners (cloromax)
It’s just a little harder to find & usually lower strength so you need more.
Plain cloralen or great value found at Walmart/aldi/dollar general or other generic brands are the best bet.

'Disinfectant bleach' in the cleaning aisle should be additive free (always check both sides of the label anyway for scents / splashless / technologies) and may be reasonably priced for 6% also.

I put in my monthly order with Walmart to get 12 gallons delivered and they sent me an email an hour later saying I was refunded. WM is completely out in our area too. The price was decent at just under $6 per gallon but the convenience of having 12 jugs dropped off on my front porch the next day was making me spoiled. I still have 7-8 gallons left which could possibly last me until we are done with the pool early October. The SWCG is looking more and more attractive when spring gets near.... Maybe trichlor will make a comeback???

I was spending about $75 per month from May-Sept on bleach jugs, which comes to $360 per year. I would use a lot less in April and Oct when the water is colder so let's round that up to $400. You can't use the SWCG in winter so those other 5 months don't matter. I'm going to say the cost of salt would be equivalent in value to the time/effort to buying bleach jugs and manually dosing so that's a wash. It would take me 3 years for the SWCG to pay for itself. Maybe a no-interest credit card will help spread out the costs?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.