2016 bleach prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy 6% gallons for $1.77 but see everyone buying higher percentages. Is it for convenience of higher concentration or am I missing something?

The higher concentration means less bleach needed to add to maintain FC levels. See the Pool math chart. If you had, for instance 12% concentration, your bleach added would be 1/2 the amount needed to maintain FC levels. So if the price of that 12% bleach was double the 6% price, it is costing you the same because you are adding 1/2 the amount. Did that make sense?

What brand was the 6% for $1.77? Do you have the Walmart DCPI number?

It was the walmart brand. Sorry I do not have that available but next time I go I can find that information for you.

The higher concentration means less bleach needed to add to maintain FC levels. See the Pool math chart. If you had, for instance 12% concentration, your bleach added would be 1/2 the amount needed to maintain FC levels. So if the price of that 12% bleach was double the 6% price, it is costing you the same because you are adding 1/2 the amount. Did that make sense?

I understand that part. I just thought I was overlooking something because everyone was buying the higher percentage bleach but I think I just stumbled upon a decently priced bleach at 6%.

Since Walmart raised price of their 1 gal. 10% Chlorine to $3.67 I am considering buying somewhere else.
I can get 2.5 gal. refillable/exchange Chlorine much cheaper but have concerns.

Pool Stores have 12% 2.5 gal. for around $5.00 but are about 10 miles from my home.
Ace Hardware has 10% 2.5 gal. for $3.00 and is a 3 mile trip and won't try to sell me anything else.

Didn't get details of how the pool stores handle their chlorine and how fresh but they store containers inside.

Ace Hardware stores the containers outside in front of store and I asked where the bulk tank is and it's outside in back.

Do you think these are really a bargain or will I be getting half life chlorine?
Anyone have good results with these refillable sources of chlorine?

Best way to buy might be to find out when the bulk chlorine is delivered to the tore and when they fill the 2.5 gal. containers.

I have had good luck at Ollie's all year with Austin's pool "shock" its 12 or 12.5% for $2.49 a gallon. Just picked up 4 more today. So far so good on freshness this year. A couple bottles last year were old.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the Walmart bleach is 128oz 6% for $1.77, that's 0.23/oz, which is a great deal. The 128oz 10% is now 3.64, which is 0.284/oz.
Agreed. Will have to see if I can find that 6%. Should degrade slower too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The local Fry's (aka Kroger elsewhere) has Kemtek 10% LC @ 2 gallons for $4.99 right now. Date code here was 16147. Not the newest, but it's stored indoors at room temperature.

This stuff is still $4.99 here. The date code today was 16211 which is less than two weeks old. They must really be moving the inventory.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

All the places around here quit selling the 12% stuff anymore... ugh... guess they don't realize it is still summer.... down to 10% at wal mart for 3.60 a gallon, or 8% at costco for 3.33 a gallon... need to buy a place out in the beginning, and let them restock it, so i can get more near the end...

I'm starting to not have any luck with finding any Wal Mart Chlorinating liquid anymore - and as mentioned they raised the price too. What I am now finding is all old stuff (16-070) and I've elected to go back to Equate brand 8.25% Bummer...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.