Is this an ok submersible water pump to buy?

It is pretty low powered. Depending on lift and how long of a hose you run to move the waste water to were you want it it could barely move any water.

I would recommend looking for at least a 1/4 hp or better, a 1/3 hp.

Careful when buying submersible pumps. Many of them claim to be submersible pumps when they are not, ie, you can’t actually submerge them, while others, if you read the fine print, say that they are designed to “remove water” or they are “Dewatering pumps”. Often times if you look carefully enough, they’ll say something in the fine print like - “Has not been tested in swimming pools or spas.” That is a dead give away that the pump is not designed for submerged, continuous use.

I had a cheap 1/4 HP submersible that I used a lot to move water. When I started submerging it in my pool, I found that it would occasionally trip the GFCI outlet it was on. I later found out that it’s not really designed for continuous, submerged draining applications. True submersible pumps have to be designed with specially sealed enclosures and special motor wire insulation to be considered “submersible”. So I now have a much more beefy 3/4 HP pump with a 2” discharge that is designed for submerged applications.

Just a warning.

Notice how your image in the first post says it’s designed for “swimming pool covers, ponds, basements...”. That’s an indication that you’re not supposed to submerge it past the the electrical connector...

Also be cautious and check the feet or platform if you have vinyl.

I have vinyl and that one I listed has very sharp posts.
I don't put it on the pool floor though, it just goes in the skimmer to drain
off excess rain water during the winter.

I bought this one from Harbor Freight Tools:

3/4 HP Submersible Utility Pump Stainless Steel Construction 4400 GPH

I have a lift of 9' in my pool, I just used a 3/4" garden hose 150' long when all the factors were added up I was only pumping 600 to 800 GPH, it got the job done, but I would suggest springing for the largest diameter hose the pump can take (in this case 2"), and use the least length possible. It will greatly reduce the pumping time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Matt, I saw that after I posted and read some of the instructions on some of the recommendations. I am guessing that it is ok to drain my pool with my pump as long as I don't go below the skimmer line. Here in florida during a heavy rain my pool can fill up fast and I just drain it down to an acceptable level. The first time owning a pool after a heavy rain I went out to check the pool levels and equipment and noticed the filter spewing out water from the sides, the water level had risen to the top of the skimmer line. So from then on I keep a look out every time we get a heavy rain. My family think I am nuts keeping watch, but if I don't things happen. I mainly want a sub pump in case I need it for any reason.

No wall drain port in a pool in Florida?!?!? That should be illegal.

If you’re handy with plumbing you can just cut in a Tee right after the pump discharge and install a brass (or plastic) spigot. That way, you can drain the pool using the pool pump (as long as you don’t drain down below the skimmer).

Matt, the way my pool is set up to drain is to turn valves from the pipe lines connected from the pump to the filter and you drain the water before it reaches the filter. It was plumbed underneath my pool equipment deck to the side yard. I have no idea if I have a drain port in my pool. When I became the owner of this 20+ years old pool I had a guy from a local pool store come out and show me how to operate it. Still learning. How would I recognize a drain port if I had one?

If you had an overflow wall drain, it would something like this -

3221082C-2921-4898-94AC-DFC38A84446F.jpeg

They’re usually located somewhere at the tile line. Their purpose is to passively control the water level in the pool by letting excess water drain away.

Thanks Matt, no, definitely don't have that. I think my pool was a cheap one for an inground.

There are pros and cons to having one but in a place like FL where heavy rain is a given, they make more sense than not.

You should be able to find a small, 1/4HP submersible pump that easily fits in the skimmer. If all you’re doing is moving an inch or two of water, there’s no need for anything larger.

Careful when buying submersible pumps. Many of them claim to be submersible pumps when they are not, ie, you can’t actually submerge them, while others, if you read the fine print, say that they are designed to “remove water” or they are “Dewatering pumps”. Often times if you look carefully enough, they’ll say something in the fine print like - “Has not been tested in swimming pools or spas.” That is a dead give away that the pump is not designed for submerged, continuous use.

I had a cheap 1/4 HP submersible that I used a lot to move water. When I started submerging it in my pool, I found that it would occasionally trip the GFCI outlet it was on. I later found out that it’s not really designed for continuous, submerged draining applications. True submersible pumps have to be designed with specially sealed enclosures and special motor wire insulation to be considered “submersible”. So I now have a much more beefy 3/4 HP pump with a 2” discharge that is designed for submerged applications.

Just a warning.

can u post up the one u have? i get the gfci kick with mine in the winter when mixing fc.

thanks!
jimi

can u post up the one u have? i get the gfci kick with mine in the winter when mixing fc.

thanks!
jimi

This -

Watershed Innovations 3000GPH Hydrapump 120V ¾ Hp 3000 Gph Clean/Dirty Submersible Water Pump Includes Float Switch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5ANYDH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_WkmDBbVTWWAFJ

I also bought a bunch of 1” PVC pipe with various couplings as I plan to hard pipe it up to the deck and run it through a flow meter I have then out to some old 1-1/2” DWV pipe. I have to do some strategic pool draining in the coming days....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.