Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello, 7 days ago I added 17 lbs of Clorox Cya pool stabilizer. I have a 27,500 gal Salt Water pool. Goal is 75 ppm. I tested it twice a day and never saw a change in readings. The filter presure is up 3 lbs. What should I do next?

What are your full test readings? Specifically FC and CC. CYA is testing 0 after 7 days following adding 17lbs, to be sure I read correctly?

I just moved into this home with a pool. It is salt water and sand filter. I have test strips but doesn't tell me too much. I have a 7 test strip arriving today. The current reading is 0 TC, ph 6.8, ta 70, ch 300, cya 0.

My sand filter has been running 24x7 since the pool store tested my water 8 days ago and my water was cloudy. I wi see is the cya I added got logged in the sand fter and it did not get contact with the water to dissolve

Now the water is pretty clear, not crystal clear. I havent taken a water sample back to the pool store. I can update when I get the 7 test strip results tonight.

Son,

Welcome to TFP!

Pool stores have notoriously unreliable test results. Please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry . I strongly advise you adopt TFP methods. They are used by thousands, work great since based on sound science and are designed to be easy to use by home owners. They also rely on big box store chemicals so it's very inexpensive. Also we don't sell anything so you can trust our advice is straight up. If you want to go this way get a recommended test kit asap. We recommend two different brands. I like the TF 100 and have been using mine for 6 years. Test Kits Compared . Also, stay out of pool stores 'till you understand pools better. Many people end up here after they end up with an expensive mess from pool store advice... not saying they're all bad but problem is you don't know until its too late.

I hope this is helpful!

Chris

PS sorry to say test strips are as bad as pool stores... I have never been able to detect any CYA with test strips and I've been taking care of my pool 6 years with TFP methods. Dirt cheap and sparkling pool 100% of the time.

Something is wrong with your tests, or you did something wrong... :scratch:

You are spot on that 17 lbs of CYA will get you from zero to 75 ppm of CYA in your water...

Logic says that after 7 days that CYA should be well mixed with the water.

We call test strips, "guess" strips, but as bad as they are, they should have shown something...

How did you add the CYA?

What kind of filter do you have?

Did you backwash the filter since adding the CYA?

Do you have brand new water? If not, what made you decide to suddenly increase your CYA from zero to 75 ppm??

What is the current status of your pool water? Clear, cloudy, or green???

Sorry for all the questions, but things are just not adding up for me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Either your pool is converting the CYA to ammonia or the test strips are showing 0 when it’s not.

You need a good test kit to know.

My CYA was 120 and the test strips said 20ish which is what they said when it was probably around 0. Don't think they ever changed :(
Then I found this group and got the tf100 and tossed the strips..

I do use strips to see if my Chlorine level is good enough sometimes but never for a value.

Okay so I have ordered the tf100 xl test kit. My FC and total Chlorine is still 0 even though I keep adding chlorine. Looks like I'll need accurate readings, get pH (currently 6.8) to 7.2 and then SLAM. Agreeded?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay so I have ordered the tf100 xl test kit. My FC and total Chlorine is still 0 even though I keep adding chlorine. Looks like I'll need accurate readings, get pH (currently 6.8) to 7.2 and then SLAM. Agreeded?
Good job with the test kit on the way!
Don't do anything except adding liquid chlorine for FC/5 every day
There is a chance the chlorine is so high, it is bleaching out the test strips...

Son,

As Splash suggested just keep adding 5 ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day 'till your test kit arrives. While waiting please fill in your signature. Here's how. It's important as it gets you responses quicker and lets our volunteer experts use their time more efficiently. Also read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and ask any questions you may have no matter how small. The better you understand the easier it will be to get up to speed. Don't do anything else until you post a complete set of test results. Test strips are just so unreliable that you don't really know anything from them. We never guess we just react to reliable test results. So we really have no idea what your next move will be 'till we know your test results. We've seen people with your test strip results and then actual is way better or way worse. Just no way to tell.

What does your pool look like now?

Chris

Okay I'll add 5ppm chlorine until the test kit arrives. My pool is mostly clear, not as clear as it was 3 weeks ago though. There is something black that settles to the bottom edges of the pool, when I vacuum it gets sitrred up but will settle down there again later. Is it algae?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.