simple pool heater automation

Jan 30, 2018
Hamburg, NY
If you have a simple one speed pump and a natural gas heater. How do you automate the heater to shut off before the pump to cool it down? My pump is on an old fashioned wall time dial but, i want to run the pump for at least 10-15 minutes after the heater goes off to cool it. Other than that I don't need any other automation. I run my pump from 11pm - 5am daily or when I swim in it. I would prefer not to spend a fortune just to get my heater to kick off before my pump. I have a basic single speed pump and a Jandy natural gas heater that was new last year. The pool is an indoor pool.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Kevin

As ps0303 said you'll need a fireman's switch (I have one). I have an intermatic timer (old school). But double check the install manual instructions for your heater. A friend of mine has a Hayward and it doesn't need a fireman's switch due to how it's built (it says the heat dissipates very quickly). It specifically says cooling isn't needed. If your manual doesn't speak to not needing it I'd assume you need it.

Thanks! I have an old intermatic clock timer and a Jandy natural gas pool/spa heater. I'll check the manual on the heater but, I believe it requires post heat run time on the pump to cool it down. I'll check my timer to see if it came with the Fireman's switch, some of them do.

thanks again. this forum is great.

Kevin

So I looked at my intermatic and, there it is. (See below) Looks like it came with a firemans switch. I'll test it to make sure it works if I can. Also, no where in my Jandy Pro Series JXi manual does it say a post heater shut down pump run requirement or time frame for it. So I'm thinking it's not required on this heater anyway. Thanks again everyone.
IMG_6642.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.