Need some guidance!

Didnt get to test pool until around 9 last night.. but I vacuum'd and brushed.. it was a cloudy green this morning it was like a cloudy greenish blue... maybe more blue than green.

@ 9P
FC - 7.5
CC - 1

@10P
FC - 13
CC - 1.5

@ 6:15A this morning
FC - 7.5
CC - 0.5 (!)
Added Liquid Chlorine to bring back up to 12 before I came to work.

CC - 0.5 means the process is working? It made me feel good because I could of took it like there is less chlorine killing bacteria - less bacteria now? I hope so!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 81031This is what it probably looks like now, but a little more cloudy white.. not as much dead algae on the steps.

I DO see progress! It is treading towards blue now!!! Keep it up! You are correct about the cc of .05 is a good thing. That means most of the yuck is dead. Don't back off now! You are winning the algae war!

Kim:kim:

Okay so huge difference since Thursday in water color... clarity still lacking.

Today @ 6:30 AM

FC - 11
CC - 0.5

There is ZERO visible algae that I can SEE. Water color is a beautiful blue, but visibility is about 10 inches deep. I can see a shadow of my vacuum and brush, so that is good. Can see the outline of all 4 steps. I think it is almost over! I vacuumed on friday, saturday, and sunday and brushed too obviously.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 81268View attachment 81269 This was on Saturday. I think it has gotten a little clearer. Any advice on improving clarity?

Okay so huge difference since Thursday in water color... clarity still lacking.

Today @ 6:30 AM

FC - 11
CC - 0.5

There is ZERO visible algae that I can SEE. Water color is a beautiful blue, but visibility is about 10 inches deep. I can see a shadow of my vacuum and brush, so that is good. Can see the outline of all 4 steps. I think it is almost over! I vacuumed on friday, saturday, and sunday and brushed too obviously.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 81268View attachment 81269 This was on Saturday. I think it has gotten a little clearer. Any advice on improving clarity?
First, open a can of POP. That's pool owner patience.

Second: remember what you're looking at is not terribly different than a huge CYA view tube. Look how close together the lines are at high numbers. Same here. You might have removed 3/4 the debris already, but it looks like you hardly did anything

Third: now you might want to beg a can full of DE from a neighbor and try adding that to your sand filter. Just do it when you'll be home to watch the pressure gauge.

I was sitting reading and looking at the top pic thinking "how do I tell them they have a little to go yet?" THEN I saw the second pic! Good progress!!!! SWEET! If that is a sand filter now might be a good time to add some DE to it to help it catch the fine stuff. Here is a link: Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter Make sure you can be there to "babysit" it just in case the pressure shoots up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you filter pressure goes up to 20% over you clean pressure OR if it shoots up fast when you add the DE. That will tell you your filter does not like that much. We had one filter that liked 2 tablespoons (small filter) and another one that liked 2 cups so find out what your filter likes by trial and error.

If the rain is hard enough it pushes my pH up some so that is and if you have to drain some water you would want to check on your FC. Other than that you are good. IF it is not lighting it is fun to swim in the pool while it is raining.

OKay so tested last night around 11 PM

FC - 6 (from 12 @ 6AM that morning)
CC - 0.5 (same as @ 6AM that morning)

Added LC to put FC to 12 ppm

This morning @ 6:30 AM
FC - 10
CC - 0.5

I did add DE last night to raise 1 PSI.. this morning it had raise 3 more PSI so I backwashed.. water looked about the same. Will add more DE when I get home.

OKay so I tested the water last night..

I didnt add LC all day yesterday to see how much it would hold... so this was at 10PM last night.. last time I added LC was on 6/25/18 at 11PM

FC - 8
CC - 0 (stayed clear)
Added more LC and checked it 30 min later and it was at 12 ppm.

To me this is really exciting since CC had never been 0 before this time.. I made a huge mistake by oversleeping and having to rush to work this morning... wanted to try a OCLT but I guess its too late for that.

The water is like a light blue, still kind of cloudy.. I can KIND OF see the bottom in the shallow end.. can see more of the walls, added more DE last night to the sand filter too.

Here is the unfortunate thing though - We are leaving for vacation in 3 days.. will be gone a week and the people that would be capable of treating the pool is going with us, so here are a few questions..

Using PoolMath.. could I throw some pucks in the skimmer to keep some chlorine in the pool until we get back AS LONG as it does not raise my CYA too high?
Can I cover the pool with the solar cover all week? Do I need to cover 3\4 of the way so the CC can burn off? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.