Need some guidance!

Jun 12, 2018
Corbin, Kentucky
First off, a huge thanks to the people who contributed to Pool School. After 3 years of struggling to keep the pool clear, and spending a ton of money, I decided to do my own research on balancing and keeping the pool clear. I feel after finding this site it was a good decision to dive in and educate myself on how to take care of our pool.

So, here is the current situation and I was just really needing some guidance/reassurance on our pool.

22,000 GAL
Vinyl Liner
Gets direct sun for 10+ hours a day

PREFACE:
I added enough CYA to raise to 40 and enough LC to raise to 5 per PoolMath on 6-13-18 and turned return jets upward to aerate pool (my TA has been 240)

Test results as of this last night at about 9 PM (This is from CHLOROX TEST STRIP APP)

Total Chlorine - 0
Free Chlorine - 0
pH - 6.8
TA - 180
CYA - 0

After the chem test I just added a GAL of LC because my TF100 Kit wont be here until next week and my pool is a cloudy blue.. figured it wouldnt hurt.

Test results as of this morning about 7 AM

Total Chlorine - 3
Free Chlorine - 1
pH - 7.8
TA - 240
CYA - 0

Now, I know I read that TF100 is the kit everyone recommends for accuracy, so I'm not so sure why my PH and TA elevated over night and my CYA is still 0. Again, the only test kit I have now is the Chlorox test strip kit with the app for your phone.

Here is my questions:

If I aerate and didnt add anything to raise TA, why did TA elevate?
Is my current test strips accurate enough to trust the test results for FC and CYA or do I need to disregard the results and just keep adding LC until my TF100 kit comes in? Thanks!

Go ahead and throw the guess strips away. They are doing more harm than good as you have already seen.

How have you been adding chlorine to your pool before now?

I would just add a gal of chlorine/bleach until the test kit gets there.

Here is a little homework until your kit gets there:

-you signature-go to settings (upper right of this page). Edit signature (middle left of that page). Put in your pool size (gals), kind (above or in ground, vinyl or plaster), any special features, filter kind (sand, DE, cartridge) pump size, and the test kit you are getting.

-find you best source for chlorine or bleach (same thing, just different %). Some find the pool store is their best option, some find Targets house brand bleach, some Walmart "pool shock" is their best bet. It depends on what is easy for you go get to.

Take a pic of your pool looking down at the water. This will be your starting point so you can watch it clear!

Kim:kim:

@kimkats -- Homework done

How have you been adding chlorine to your pool before now?
The last 2 days after finding this site I have added it per TFP instruction. Before we were using the pucks, but I havent been using any since I have found this site.

I would just add a gal of chlorine/bleach until the test kit gets there.
Just to clarify... 1 GAL per day?

-you signature-go to settings (upper right of this page). Edit signature (middle left of that page). Put in your pool size (gals), kind (above or in ground, vinyl or plaster), any special features, filter kind (sand, DE, cartridge) pump size, and the test kit you are getting.
Done.

-find you best source for chlorine or bleach (same thing, just different %).
I bought Pool Essentials Liquid Chlorine 10% from Walmart... I was going to get HH bleach because it was a tad cheaper, but if its lower in strength... meaning I would have to add more HH bleach than LC, correct? I figured it equaled out pretty even in the end.

Share a pic of what the water looks like now. Take the pic looking down at the steps. If it is not clear then YES one gal a day. We are getting a head start on the SLAM as seen in this link: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain Right now we are just guessing what your levels are.

You are SO right in the % being very important. Make sure it is apples to apples!

Do you have the Pool Math app yet? If not here is the link to it: Pool Math It had a calculator to help you figure out which chlorine/bleach is the best deal right then and there.

With you using pucks before you found TFP I wonder what your CYA is going to end up being. This will be interesting!

Good job doing your siggy! THANKS! :hug:

With you using pucks before you found TFP I wonder what your CYA is going to end up being. This will be interesting!
We actually added like 10lb of pool life ultra shock about 2 weeks ago and tried flock as well and neither was able to clear the pool enough to see the bottom. I can *sort of* see the bottom but its very blurry. Will high TA cause cloudy water? If not, then the pool SLAM should do the trick once I get the test kit. Otherwise I'll add 1 GAL of bleach per day. Thanks.

High TA does not cause cloudy water....I am thinking you were at the beginning of a algae outbreak. That is why I want you to to add 1 gal. of bleach per day. This should keep it from getting any worse and may start it back to clearing.

While you are waiting on your test kit you should go ahead and clean your filter. This will make sure it is ready to go with the SLAM. Make sure to make a note of your filters "clean pressure". That will help you know when you need to clean it again.

Okay, my test kit should be in today. I have been adding 1gal of LC each day, water is still cloudy with a little green tint. Looks like some dead algae on the steps. So, here are a few things I want to clarify:

* I know I will need to do a full set of tests to establish a baseline to work off of.

* IF my CYA needs increased, I can hang over return in a sock to disperse it... Can I go ahead and add LC up to shock level? For example if my target CYA is 40 ppm, can I go ahead and add enough LC to raise the FC to 16 ppm or do I need to wait until stabilizer is dispersed and my CYA is to 40 ppm when I test it?

* Adjust pH before I adjust anything else ie. CYA, FC

* During SLAM, Do I need to brush and vacuum every day?

* Will adding DE to my sand filter effect the SLAM?

* Can I leave my solar cover on while SLAM'n the pool (take off to net debris and vacuum)?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Start your CYA dissolving and use your expected CYA level to determine your FC level for SLAM. No need to wait for all the CYA to dissolve.

Do adjust your pH before anything else.

Brush daily. Vac as needed.

Adding DE to sand filter is at the end to 'polish' the water. Do not do early one.

You can leave the solar cover on. Be sure to remove during the daylight hours for a couple hours so the CC can burn off.

Take care!

Ok, Done some testing:

Initial baseline test: 6/20/18 @ 7P

CC - 1.0
FC - 0.0
PH - 8.2
TA - 180
CYA - 30

Adjusted PH.. @ 10:30P
Test 30 min after adding MA @ 11P

PH - 7.2
TA - 140

Added 3.5 GAL of LC @ 11P (fell asleep, forgot to test later)

Test @ 6:30 A this morning

CC - 2.0
FC - 2.0

Added 3 GAL of LC per SLAM and PoolMath

Tested FC.. was 21 ppm @ 7:15A.

Seems like it overshot the FC.. SLAM recommendation for CYA 30 is FC 16 for SLAM.. but i figured it worked out better that way since our pool is green and I work all day. This is what I worry about.. I leave for work around 7:15A and dont get home until like 6P... Im hoping the FC will not just burn off super fast before I get back home and can test. If someone sees any kind of possible test error or suggestion please let me know. Thanks!

NOTE: Just for the record.. I know people who are already on here know the test strips arent accurate... but just as a testimony, the test strips have been saying my CYA is 0! Glad I read around this site about test strips because once I got my TF100 Kit yesterday it was right where I needed it... I was so tempted to add more CYA.. glad I didnt. BUY TF100 KIT.. Spend all that extra money that you were paying the pool supply store for unnecessary chemicals on a TF100!

It sounds like you understand the process. It's a shame you couldn't have started this on your days off, but do what you can. BTW, for 30 CYA, shock level is 12. A couple points over is okay, but you came awful close to double! You don't want to bleach the liner, so be careful.

It will definitely make the SLAM process longer but it won't be a waste. Just keep dosing and testing every hour when you are home. If you find that you lose too much FC during the day due to sun exposure, you could bump up CYA to 40ppm.

Here is my working day schedule for a SLAM:

-after first cup of coffee in the morning BEFORE you put on work clothes
-when you get home from work and CHANGE clothes
-after dinner
-right before bed BEFORE you put your jammies on

Note you do NOT want to mess with chlorine in "good" clothes! I don't care how careful you are you will end up with at bleach dot RIGHT at eye line LOL

It can be done. It might take a little longer but you will end up with a jewel of a pool!

Okay here are the results from last night... Sorry to bother you all with this, Im just posting to make sure im doing all of this correct!

6/20/18

@ 6PM
FC - 6
CC - 1.5
CYA - 30
Added LC and Brushed Pool

@ 7PM
FC - 12
CC - 2

@7:45 PM
FC - 12
CC - 1.5

@ 9:30 PM
FC - 11
CC - 1

@ 10:15
FC - 11
CC - 1
Added LC

@12AM (6/21/18)
FC - 18
CC - 1.5

@ 6:30AM (6/21/18)
FC - 10
CC - 1.5
Added LC

@ 7:15AM (6/21/18)
FC - 18
CC - 1.5 / 2 (I was in a rush on the last part, ran out of time b4 work... did not rush FC though)

I did add a little more than shock level before I went to bed and before I came to work since I cant check for about 10 hours... i dont know why i over shoot it, my pool size is correct and those 2 times instead of target level 12ppm i just set to 14 (maybe 16)... was 18 each time. I did notice dead algae on the steps.. I will vacuum and brush tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 80964
This morning

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.