Being Held Hostage By My Pool!!! (aka Intelliph installation)

It’s in my signature. It’s the EQ35 chlorinator by Astral (Australian brand obviously). Mine has the ph probe which I think is optional (but I didn’t opt for it). Without the ph probe it performs as yours seems to with regard to acid dosing. You just set it to dispense a certain level of acid.

Sorry, I'm lost. You mentioned "calibrating" and "bringing pH down to set amount" but that you didn't opt for the pH probe? So what do you need to calibrate? And without the probe how would it know if your pH ever reached a set amount?

I've misread something...

Sorry, I'm lost. You mentioned "calibrating" and "bringing pH down to set amount" but that you didn't opt for the pH probe? So what do you need to calibrate? And without the probe how would it know if your pH ever reached a set amount?

I've misread something...

Mine has the ph probe which is optional. I didn’t ask for it is probably a better term. Didn’t opt for it in contract is what I mean.

Well, I'd love to think there was something out there that could read FC and pH and manage the level of each. Pentair has IntelliChem that supposedly does that, but I haven't looked into it much. Keep us posted if you get the kinks worked out.

Oh, I thought of the other reason. If for some reason I someday decide to go with IntelliChem, or its decedent, I'll be glad I have the IntellipH...

Well that appears to be a somewhat false assumption on my part. A quick perusal of the IntelliChem installation manual reveals no mention of the IntellipH at all. The system appears to be compatible with the IntelliChlor, in some way (I didn't read the whole manual, but it does mention the IntelliChlor several times). The word "IntellipH" does not appear anywhere in the manual. IntelliChem measures pH, and controls "something" that dispenses acid, but without reading the whole thing it's not clear exactly what you connect to the thing to do that... I'm going to "hope" that one can use an IntellipH in that way, should I ever want to pursue IntelliChem, but I didn't find anything the IntelliChem manual that guarantees that.

So it doesn't appear owning an IntellipH has any benefit over other devices when it comes to IntelliChem.

The manual did provide a warning regarding the installation of the chlorine and acid injectors, pertaining to the mixing of the two chemicals along with a mention of hazardous gas. So it would seem Pentair is concerned about introducing acid and chlorine at the same time. Which might explain why the IntelliChlor is turned off during the IntellipH's injection cycle. Seems like a nice feature to have, so I think buying the IntellipH for that reason alone was a valid decision...

This is mostly conjecture on my part, other than observing the IntelliChlor going off during acid injection. I haven't confirmed any of this directly with Pentair, nor read that's what's going on in any Pentair literature. Perhaps something for a more savvy buyer than me to check out...

Putting together a few more vague bits of info. The tank and pump that come with IntellipH appear to be the same tank and pump that come with one bundled version of IntelliChem. IntelliChem replaces the IntellipH controller, so that's probably why IntellipH is not mentioned in the IntelliChem manual, they are not compatible units (they don't work together). But they seem to use the same hardware, otherwise (tank and pump).

Even more vague, I've gathered a few hints that at least some of the pump and injector system of the IntellipH actually are Stenner components (but I can't verify that yet).

Well, I'd love to think there was something out there that could read FC and pH and manage the level of each. Pentair has IntelliChem that supposedly does that, but I haven't looked into it much. Keep us posted if you get the kinks worked out.

There is. My system can control FC with the ORP probe that I don’t have attached but have the provision for. I have heard there can be issues with them. With the ORP probe you have to run very little or zero CYA.

There is. My system can control FC with the ORP probe that I don’t have attached but have the provision for. I have heard there can be issues with them. With the ORP probe you have to run very little or zero CYA.

Thanks. Costas noticed that my ph probe isn’t attached in the recommended location. Hoping that is the problem but think the probe is also damaged. Have left a message with pb.

Hopefully it is something simple like that. Pentair's solution also uses ORP, whatever that is. Is that true? ORP and CYA are incompatible. How could that work? You'd be going through crazy amounts of chlorine! If that's the case, and pH probe is also fussy (I've read in need regular calibration), then I think I may be on the simpler track, one with just dumb pumps, without the complication and reliability issues of a measuring system.

I'm happy to report I came home tonight to pH 7.8. That's actually low for my pool after a 24 hour stretch without manually adding chlorine. I couldn't see the tank in the dark, to verify if the level of acid has gone down (I marked it with tape when I discovered I had the hoses crossed.) I will tomorrow, but there's some evidence, at least, that it's actually working and that I now just need to dial in the output percentage. I'm one step closer to the ultimate TFP!! ;)

Today I came home to ph 7.6. That's never happened!! I'm thrilled with my Iph so far. More to adjust, I'm sure. But it's working. It's working!! ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not yet. Apparently someone is coming out Thursday or Friday to hopefully change the ph sensor. I would like it moved to the recommended location for installation but have a feeling that’s asking too much. Right now I will be happy with a working sensor/unit.

I bet a couple of homemade chocolate-chip cookies could get it done! ;)

A twenty (or whatever you use down there! ;) ) taped to a note taped next to an X on the pipe marking where you want it with "Hey mate. Lunch is on me if you have time to move my pH sensor here. No worries if not. Thanks!" or some such...

A twenty (or whatever you use down there! ;) ) taped to a note taped next to an X on the pipe marking where you want it with "Hey mate. Lunch is on me if you have time to move my pH sensor here. No worries if not. Thanks!" or some such...

Lol that thought did cross my mind. I have sent pb the description of where it should be ideally placed. Let’s just hope he does the right thing and has it moved.

I've escaped!! I'm free! No longer a hostage!!

Dare I? Will I jinx it?

[Brag alert.]

For two days in a row, my FC has not budged. My pH has not budged. Both are perfect. My IntelliChlor is dialed in, my IntellipH seems to be as well. I didn't pour anything into my pool yesterday. I didn't pour anything into my pool today. I've never been able to claim that before.

I was lounging in the water, reflecting (literally, figuratively)... My pool is being heated by my solar heater. Free.* My pump, SWG and associated electronics are all running off my new PV solar system. Also free.* My pool is being sanitized for free,* without any effort from me. And my pH is now, finally, stable (at least in terms of me having to do anything about it). My pool vacuums itself. Circulates itself. All on schedule. And I can watch it all unfold on my phone. I wangled a brand new, 20+ year finish out of my moron of a pool guy. Free.* And I'm well on my way to achieving TFP-grade water without having to do anything for up to a week at a time (not there yet, but the goal now seems a bit more achievable than it did two days ago). And I have complete confidence, and now know how to prove, that my water is balanced, and safe. And it's absolutely beautiful.

I am knocking at the door to TFPH (Trouble Free Pool Heaven)!!

* I have to pretend "free," or at the very least juggle the books to claim "free," but it kinda feels free. Nothing about a pool is free!!

[End of brag.]

Thanks TFP for helping me get here. Will the other shoe drop? Or is this karmic payback for the h-e-double-L I went through with my pool guy. Whatever. Just recognizing and acknowledging and appreciating my good fortune. Life is good. Take nothing for granted...

OK, back to the pool! :paddle:

Hmmm, well, I finally made it through the manual. It recommends diluting "full strength" MA 1-to-1 for use in my IntellipH. But...

It doesn't specify what "full strength" means. Is that the 31% stuff?

Diluting MA really takes the fun out of using the IntellipH. I can't dump water into the hopper after acid is in it. And I can't (won't) run it dry to put water in it first. I could mix the acid into a bucket of water first, then pour that in, but that increases, substantially, the amount of acid handling and risk of doing something harmful to me or my yard or pad with the stuff.

I suppose I could just buy the [much more] expensive 14% stuff. But the bigger problem: my pool seems to have settled on an output near or above 50%, using the 31% acid. If I dilute or switch to the 14% stuff, I'll have to run at 100%, and even that might not be enough to satisfy the pool's appetite for MA. And I'll have no leeway to use a higher percentage output should I need that at some point.

I really don't want to get into having to mix up and manage some sort of 60-40 brew.

Or I could take my chances and use it full strength, which might mean changing out the susceptible components more often.

When the IntellipH dispenses while people are swimming, am I subjecting them to any danger if they're near the returns? Using diluted MA would lessen that a bit, I suppose. No mention of that hazard in the manual.

What to do...

I have been following your installation experience as my pool needs MA every 2 - 3 days to keep PH below 8.

Have you read the Amazon reviews on the IntelliPH and seen the problems others have had? Specifically:

Parts need to be serviced annually at a minimum!
ByJLMon September 30, 2015
I installed an Intelliph system along with a pentair pump and chlorinator in June of 2014. As of a couple of weeks ago I noticed acid staining underneath the pump. In fact my two children noticed the staining and thought it was mud. I contact Pentair to file a warranty claim as the pump went bad and leaked. Little did I expect to be told that [actual emails] "The whole unit is absolutely covered by a three year warranty if anything goes bad with it. The only difference with these pumps is they are a wear and tear item and do have to be replaced every year. This also makes it not a warrantable part because since they have to get changed out annually it does not fall into the perimeters of warranty."

So I ask in relation to the annual replacement "I did not see where I was supposed to (in the owners manual)" The reply i get "Yes the tube fittings in those units need to be replaced yearly because there is Acid running through them and they will eventually fail. There is a kit PN 522152 which rebuilds those motors, which is mainly replacing the suction tubes....it is an IntelliPH system it's on page 10 of the OM."

Please PENTAIR please show me where in the OM it states "this is a part that needs to be replaced at the minimum once a year"

No where in the sales brochure, user manual, or in any other documentation purchased with this unit is there ANY mention of a yearly replacement. At the very least this is a safety issue as little kids can be very hurt with the acid, and the worst this is a manufacturing defect. If it is the latter, I wonder why this product is on the market.

What needs to be done is #1 this should be stated in all brochures and #2 those of us who purchased this product thinking it would be safe should be given a rebate or parts as we were sold a defective product with a poor engineering design.

Needless to say this is unacceptable on many levels. I have never in my life seen such a negligent disregard for safety nor a solution for the customer to remedy the problem.

I give it 2 stars because at least it lasted 1 year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.