Water Test Kit Advice?

Just because water is clear doesn’t mean there isn’t something lurking. Remember that CC of 1.5? That tells you that your chlorine is fighting something. You want CC to be 0.5 or less.

You can try the OCLT if you want, to see if you lose chlorine overnight.

making sure I am right with Pool Math on the SLAM. To get shock of 13 I need to add 398 oz of 8% bleach. on pool math in FC I put 13? then with CYA I put 70 and that shows adding 107 oz of Stabilizer.

only thing that scares me about CYA is if I get it to high and need to drain and add water.

You won’t add CYA until you pass SLAM. Then, just add it increments so you don’t overshoot. For example, if Pool Math tells me to add 24 ounces, I add 16 and then retest in a couple of days.

I went to Walmart and got 3 gallons of LC and on side it shows 10%. I need to add 299 oz.

dc42ebcd-0d9f-41cf-b006-e0abed296308_1.aec09e3071a8d20c27bb2ed6a4e943f3.jpeg

so for SLAM I just put that in the pool then how long do I wait to do the OCLT test?

I went to Walmart and got 3 gallons of LC and on side it shows 10%. I need to add 299 oz. {pic}
Great :)

so for SLAM I just put that in the pool then long do I wait to do the OCLT test?
Since you have no CYA, don't add it until after there is no direct sun on the pool. Then add it (with pump running, in front of water return), wait 30min, test and then in the AM before sun is on the pool, test FC again BEFORE adding anything, if it is within 1, the pool passes Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (link to specific instructions & details)

Great :)

Since you have no CYA, don't add it until after there is no direct sun on the pool. Then add it (with pump running, in front of water return), wait 30min, test and then in the AM before sun is on the pool, test FC again BEFORE adding anything, if it is within 1, the pool passes Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (link to specific instructions & details)

the pool is in sun light all the time. I will have to wait till just before dark to add LC? I unplug the SWG?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
4000 ppm is OK with an Intellichlor. you will have room for when you backwash your filter.

Under or properly sized, the SWCG does not care.

how do I test for Phosphates in the pool water? When I had pool installed I filled the pool with the hose which is city water. the pool installer recommended I get jug of Phosphate Remover to remove the phosphate the city puts in the water. That it could cause the water to be cloudy. does that sound right? I did put a jug of remover in then. I drained 5-8k gallons of water out of the pool in the fall and this spring refilled it with the hose. could phosphate is what the chlorine is fighting in the water??

how do I test for Phosphates in the pool water? When I had pool installed I filled the pool with the hose which is city water. the pool installer recommended I get jug of Phosphate Remover to remove the phosphate the city puts in the water. That it could cause the water to be cloudy. does that sound right? I did put a jug of remover in then. I drained 5-8k gallons of water out of the pool in the fall and this spring refilled it with the hose. could phosphate is what the chlorine is fighting in the water??
With the TFP method there is no need to check for phosphates or to ever add any phosphate remover. Phosphates are food for algae, but a properly maintained pool will have no live algae, so the presence of food for it is irrelevant.

The thing that phosphate remover is best at is removing money from your wallet. It's another quick fix pushed by the pool stores.

Yep! Put it in a sock, tie the end off and hang it in front of a return. If the water is warm enough to get in you can squeeze it and swing it around in the water to make it dissolve even quicker.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.