Shotcrete vs. Vinyl ...Owner Build

SBall

Jun 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
I am trying to decide between a 16x32 rectangle with 6" radius corners and full width vinyl over steel steps, versus roughly the same dimensions shotcrete, but not exactly identical, probably add a couple things that can be added with a concrete pool that are not really possible with vinyl.

I tend to DIY. No matter which option I go, I intend to:
Dig/excavate
Plumbing
Electrical
Coping
Decking
Landscaping

These items seem to be basically the same no matter which route I go...both labor and cost.

Things I intend to hire out on each type

Shotcrete: Steel, shotcrete, plaster, and startup

Vinyl: pool floor, will have to pay for concrete truck/pump for wall supports and the hopper, will have to order gravel for backfill. I will install walls, and will also do the backfill

The vinyl kit I am looking at on at PoolWarehouse is somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k-$12k, depending on exactly which options I go with. Plus add the concrete truck and pump, the gravel...probably hitting $15k-ish. I have not gotten any quotes for shotcrete. Call me crazy, but i feel like the shotcrete will be less work on my end and give me exactly what I want.

Am I missing something major?

I like the shotcrete due to the freedom to make it shaped just like you want and no worries about anything cutting or tearing the liner. I have dogs, big dogs, so.....that is an issue for me.

I really think it would be worth while to check out the prices just to see what it would cost you.

Kim:kim:

40634800064_03c4962123_k.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2014_pictures_031.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

41305529672_7076d4e37e_h.jpg

41305521532_9209d440e8_h.jpg

This is what we are leaning towards. 16'x34', full width steps, and ideally have the second step be a 3' wide shelf. I also found a pic of a full-width deep end bench that I love, but not sure if I want to go that route or not...really just adds $$ and complexity. My hand drawn pic shows 36', but I think that is just too long for our yard, we are slightly space constrained.

OH I like that BUT if you want to swim laps you will have to flip/turn at the benches. Will you notice them if you are swimming hard? Now if you swim like I do-VERY casual then you will be fine. There is a lot to like about the above set up!

Kim:kim:

Im about to start mine I got my kit there too, 8k and change but 14x30 fiberglass steps. liner over stairs is tougher for DIY, but can be done, the benches etc add to the difficulty. steel stairs need reinforcement, helped a buddy do his last year we threw a bunch of metal studs into them in addition to what came w steps, they were bouncy but rly nice. Its never gonna be same #s between kit and concrete, you are gonna sub the concrete and rebar out and the plumbing is tricky w concrete, plus figure in water tiles, and stone or tile on raised beams, and plaster job, you are gonna be a third higher at least, this is based on my area. I was gonna do fiberglass for mine but I couldnt find a shell for less than 17k delivered in my size and thats my all in # w fence too so Im going steel route. I ordered no border on my liner, doing paver deck to match my new walkways I did, my buddy did same and you cant tell its a liner unless you know it is. You can still do raised beam and similar with steel studs and cement board then cover with tile/stone whatever like outdoor kitchen guys build them on a steel wall pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.