Rebar Form Stakes Removal

mbdesa

In The Industry
Apr 9, 2016
Phoenix
Hoping someone might have an answer for this. The form around the shotcrete has Rebar Stakes supporting it, which is typical. However, due to our abnormal soil conditions, many of the stakes are held in by at least some shotcrete. On my last build, I was able to remove them out of the soil, but on this build I cannot. I am doing a marble coping and patio myself.

What's the best way to go about removing these rebar stakes? Or would cutting them be better? I know I can get a stake remover and possibly have better luck, but it is $200, and trying to save that $200 if I can.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply. I tried that all the weekend and the darn things still won't move. I got a couple out, but still have about 30 left.
I have in the past used a pipewrench to remove them. Start by just twisting the stake with the pipewrench to loosen it a bit. Then after a few turns, keeping the pipewrench in position, lift up on the pipewrench as you turn.

Here’s the challenge I am having. I’ve got really limited space to get these.

Assuming you are talking about the vertical rods between the concrete wall and the hose, it looks to me as those rods likely have "rebar form wire" wrapped around the rod at periodic intervals down in the earth. Not surprising they are difficult to remove. Unless you are prepared to dig out the dirt, I suggest cutting the rods off with an abrasive cutting blade in a 4.5" grinder. Something like this: 4-1/2 in. 24 Grit Metal Grinding Wheel, 10 Pack

Reactions: Supersix and mbdesa
Assuming you are talking about the vertical rods between the concrete wall and the hose, it looks to me as those rods likely have "rebar form wire" wrapped around the rod at periodic intervals down in the earth. Not surprising they are difficult to remove. Unless you are prepared to dig out the dirt, I suggest cutting the rods off with an abrasive cutting blade in a 4.5" grinder. Something like this: 4-1/2 in. 24 Grit Metal Grinding Wheel, 10 Pack
Thank you! That is exactly what I was talking about. My Shotcrete Guy just said to cut them as well. I will try the grinding wheels that you mentioned. I really appreciate your help!

Thank you! That is exactly what I was talking about. My Shotcrete Guy just said to cut them as well. I will try the grinding wheels that you mentioned. I really appreciate your help!
I have had issue with t-posts before and used a pipe wrench wedged to post, perpendicular to post, closed jaws on post, then, use the screw jack from my truck. Set the jack under the handle of the pipe wrench on a flat board and basically jacked the post out of the ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.