Deposit Placed for April 2018 start In-ground Viking fiberglass. Many questions!

Thanks again - I really appreciate the questions it's tough getting a handle on everything. I'm getting excited and looking forward to our new backyard oasis! This winter sure isn't helping the time go by...

I will reach out again to our insurance - thanks very much for that info.

This is not the place we're purchasing from but they do have a informative website for Viking stuff - here is the model we selected:
http://calmwaterpools.com/inground-...ool-designs/island-breeze-ii-fiberglass-pool/

The lighting is Globrite LED light from Pentair - they are full size I believe and didn't know there was a distinction until asked - I've got a lot to learn! It sounds like we'll go with the 4.

I will check on the size of both the filters and SWG and report back. We meet with the landscape design company on the 31st will post pics as well.

Thanks so much everyone!!

LOL You don't know what you don't know until you start asking questions! Keep asking any and all questions you might have! We will help you build the best pool ever AND teach you how to care for that wonderful pool so it lasts for a long time!

Kim:kim:

Bit of a setback today. Had our landscape design meeting and it was going great until we saw the price. This does include a lot of work aside from the pool area to be fair, but the retaining walls (we're on a hill - over 1,000 surface feet) were the killer. In total it was a smidge over $190,000 with high end materials. We'd save ~30-40K if we use regular retaining blocks. Yikes!!!

So, we're going to look to move it about 50~75 feet and start over. I just wish we would have gotten a head-ups before my jaw hit the kitchen table. We are going to look into additional landscapers and the PB is coming out next week to help us scout a better location (we think it is - to our untrained eye - a much more flat space with much less grade). This will be the first time I've seen him since placing the deposit - any questions I should ask?

Will keep everyone posted!

Thanks for the Pentair lighting tip - I will bring that up with my PB. Our build date got moved up to 4/1 so we *really* have to get a move on everything. We found a new location for the pool that will require much less walling and earthwork.

Quick question regarding the color of the auto-cover - anything wrong with a darker blue (so it still kinda looks like a pool when it's closed) or green to match our metal roof?

I spoke to the PB regarding the concerns and the $800 we wasted for a design on the last landscaper. It turns out their preferred company wouldn't make the commute out to us so this was another company they work with. Yesterday the PB came up with some more money off the build price and encouraged me to get the free redesign from the old landscaper. I've gotten enough red flags from that landscape co. that we won't use their service but would consider the new design. As it's a sunk cost already we're going to opt for the re-design and take the work elsewhere if we like it.

We have a new landscaper coming today - they're local sure hope this goes better than the last one...

My autocover is blue like the pool. My thought was that if someone were to be walking back there in the dark they'd see it and think "ah, pool, don't walk in to that!". But I know that others choose a color to match their decking so it *doesn't* stand out.

One advantage of a nice blue cover is that Google Earth always shows a pretty pool, unlike the green funky ones I've seen while browsing. LOL

Soooooo... it's all up to you :)

Maddie :flower:

Well we've been busy. A few weeks ago we went from: are we going to get a pool? - to dropping trees and landscapers doing the retaining wall which was finished in about a week and a half. We reached out to 5 different local landscapers after the silly quote we got before, and everyone else was way more in line with our expectations.

In the process of doing that, we were told by the county that we'd need a variance to get a pool permit since we're on a greater than 15 degree slope. Uncharacteristically, we got lucky as the landscaper we picked was dealing with some other permitting issues and got us an on site inspection (turns out we weren't 15 degrees) and then a permit!

We're still looking at a 4/2 start date for the pool - I think. Communication from the PB hasn't been great since we got passed off from sales to the builder. I'm not too worried yet as we still have time but not encouraging. I just really, really hope there are no giant floaters (we are sandstone and limestone country) to be found.

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 272
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 273
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 273
  • pool0.jpg
    pool0.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 274

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The landscaping looks amazing! That’s a lot of prep work, but will be so worth it. We had a similar problem with communication before our build started. In Dec when we signed, we were told early Fev start then nothing else, accept receiving permits. Then a week before Feb 1 a phone call to say they’d be digging on Feb 1. Since then I feel like our communication has been fine. We know what’s going on and when and if I have any questions I just send a text or call. I was so nervous in the beginning but had a gut feeling they’d build me a great pool. We’re not finished yet but happy so far. It would hurt to call and touch base with your sales guy and mention that you feel like you’re not being kept in the loop.

Heard from PB - we start on the 24th!! We've had a record-breaking spring with precipitation and temp. We are very excited we'll hopefully be able to swim by Memorial Day - providing all goes well :)

Any tips on running conduit/120 for outlets and outlet placement? Was thinking an unobtrusive place in 3 or 4 corners minimum code above the ground. Anything else I should think about prior to the concrete being poured? Thanks in advance!

Had PB out yesterday and we discussed things. We added another 5' of patio space on the south end of the pool where the stairs are. Also had electrician out and we have some room left so won't have to spend a ton on electrical work, so yay for that.

Digging and pool insertion on Tuesday if everything goes well! Will take pics.

When I was out there I noticed one of the bottom right steps is starting to crack. Is this one of those if you don't fix it now it'll drive you nuts forever things? After concrete is poured it's not going anywhere. Landscaper will swap it out for us we've already spoken but he doesn't think it's going to be a problem. We've got about 2 weeks to get this sorted before they pour.

Also pool builder wants us to put in a slot drain but landscaper wasn't so sure. He said they've done a lot of pools and never needed them. It's not a lot of money so I'm not sure either way but would like to do landscaping instead of rocks along wall border. The current seepage isn't bad (we've had a lot of rain) at all and the pool patio isn't that big.

IMG_20180419_085513.jpg
IMG_20180419_085523.jpg

PB also said they're already booked out to July - he said he's never seen it this busy.

PB also said they're already booked out to July - he said he's never seen it this busy.

Isn't that great?! I get happy when I see home owners spending to improve their homes (especially in my little older neighborhood) because it means they're in for the long haul, they want to improve and keep their homes up, and they're not renters, etc.

Maddie :flower:

20% chance of rain now for dig day... ugh. Fingers crossed! We're doing a run for 1 60amp (heat pump) and 2 20s for the pool, plus space for a few more 20s for outlets. PB was concerned our power connection to the house wasn't fat enough (we've got a pole barn and hot tub already) but electrician said we're fine.

We got the electrician's bid and I feel like we're finally getting a hold on the final costs. The last big mystery is pump costs for the concrete pour. I'm pretty realistic when it comes to budgeting things and we missed the cost of the pool project by at least 25%+. To be fair we're trying to "buy once cry once" but this is the most I've ever spent barring a house.

Our plan is to eventually tile the concrete in a year or so. Thinking of leaving step but still not sure. I did jump on it :) We're either going to conceal the equipment pad with some leftover boulders or a shed.

Getting anxious for this to start and at same time dreading the next month of chaos. Thanks so much to everyone who's helped guide us through this. It's so much money and so many choices to get right the first time I really appreciate all the knowledge!

Fingers crossed for no rain on dig day. I’m not sure about that step. I don’t think it’s going anywhere, so I’d be inclined to leave it.

As for costs, it is such a lot of money, but you also have to look at it for the remaining time you live in your house so worth doing properly. I try to think of it like this - some people spend more on a car than we are on our pool... difference is I guess if they don’t like their car or if it’s a lemon they can sell it.

We were a bit surprised by our electrical quote. We only just got it last week so we were unsure what it would be, although pb gave us rough estimate (we have to get our own contractor in, although we’re using the one pb recommends). It’s almost twice what we were thinking but that does include hard wiring of the heat pump. It’s not too bad, but stings a little at the end of the build when we spending so much on ‘little’ things. All the best for your dig and don’t forget to posts some photos!

Last week, we were predictably delayed by rain - but we start in ~2 hours! Will post pics.

Kinda excited kinda freaking out :)

A friend is doing the crane work and he's been sending pics of him setting pools all week. We are ready for a pool!

Fingers crossed today goes well!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.