Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Globrite LED pool lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Globrite LED pool lights

Hey guys,

3 of our 4 Pentair Globrite lights have died so are going to have to be replaced. I have the new units and am going to be replacing them myself as soon as the water warms up a bit. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on pulling the wires for the new fixtures through the 100'+ of conduit? My thought is that I will cut the old head off, splice the new wire to the old one, and then slowly pull the wire through. IS this the best approach or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Scott
    20k gallon AG pebble pool in Austin, Texas. All Pentair equipment (DE, IC40 SWCG, heatpump, variable speed pump with aux pump for the cleaner). Built in 4/2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Globrite LED pool lights

Quote Originally Posted by sfawley View Post
    Hey guys,

3 of our 4 Pentair Globrite lights have died so are going to have to be replaced. I have the new units and am going to be replacing them myself as soon as the water warms up a bit. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on pulling the wires for the new fixtures through the 100'+ of conduit? My thought is that I will cut the old head off, splice the new wire to the old one, and then slowly pull the wire through. IS this the best approach or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Scott
    They are less than 4 years old....and they all failed? Really? I thought LEDs we supposed to last like 30k hours...

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by sfawley View Post
    Hey guys,
    My thought is that I will cut the old head off, splice the new wire to the old one, and then slowly pull the wire through. IS this the best approach or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Scott

I'm going through the same thing. I plan to attach a pull string to the old conduit (at junction box) and pull it through the niche (no cutting of cord). Maybe the old light can be repaired so don't cut cable at light.

It's disappointing to hear the LED failed - that is what I was planning to switch to. I suspect it is probably the circuit board that failed (maybe water leaked in). Let us know what failed if you can find out.
    20K gal In-ground pool with raised Spa overflowing into pool; two Jandy Sheer Descent waterfalls; Pentair IntelliTouch i7+3, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH, 3 SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, RayPak 406A LP spa heater, Polaris 360 PS Cleaner. Patio and deck lighting by Volt; Volt 600W landscaping transformer; Webber grilling station

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep. These are actually less than three years old since we had a problem with the original ones that were installed with the pool back in the spring of 2013. Pentair eventually replaced all four units in 2014. All three of them got water inside of the lens and then rusted. I would not recommend these lights to anyone that is shopping for a new pool build.
    20k gallon AG pebble pool in Austin, Texas. All Pentair equipment (DE, IC40 SWCG, heatpump, variable speed pump with aux pump for the cleaner). Built in 4/2013.

5. Back To Top    #5

That's definitely your best bet, tie an electrician nylon pull line and pull it through when you pull the old one out. You'll know how tough the pull will be when you pull the line through. It'll be easier to tie the new wiring to the pull line than the old wire.

Loc: So Cal Full Sunlight, IG 30'x15' Rectangle, 21,000gal w/ 2100gal Jac w/ Spillover
    (SWG) Pentair Intelli IC40, Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed UEE Pump
    Pentair Mastertemp 400 Pool and Spa Heater
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter CCP-420
    Intellibright 5G Color Pool and Spa Lights, Hayward Nav Pro Pool Vac, Taylor-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

I would get Pentair to issue a warranty service on these - I've had at least 5 replaced now over the years. They're total garbage.
    My current plans...
    11 x 32 IGP w/ spa ~10000 gal
    Gunite w/ NPT Quartscapes Luederstone coping
    Badu Stream II Pkg A Swim Jets
    Pentair VS pumps with Intellitouch/ScreenLogic controls