Official 2018 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Nice feast Matt...zoodles - I have to try that one!

- - - Updated - - -

Brent you have inspired me with the Ribeye...

Cliff there are 2 things I would do on my next purchase of Ribeye Cap. Spend some trimming off the excess fat and the silver muscular lining. It will make for a more enjoyable steak. I will post pics on my next go around:cheers:

Seasoned to perfection.

Tonight’s dinner shall be, seared chicken topped with bacon and baby portobello mushrooms, covered in melted cheddar & Colby, served with brown rice and steamed broccoli.
I’ll try to grab some pics of it cooking, but we usually don’t eat till it’s dark out. Stay turned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New toy. The seasoning of the top shall commence shortly. :mrgreen:

Probably didn't take long to heat it up to season it - it's 113° outside on the NE side of town. Probably 140°+ on the metal in the direct sunlight. :D

What time should we plan on stopping by for dinner?? LOL :party:

Steak Burgers

So this post will also be a bit of a gadget post as well as a food post. For a while now I have been disappointed with the meat options available for making great burgers and I’ve been wanting to vary my meat mix. So I started investigating steak-burger recipes but couldn’t get local butcher to give me the good stuff without gouging me on price. So, I started looking into grinding my own meat. I also didn’t want another gadget to clutter up the kitchen so it dawned on me to use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I looked around locally for the meat grinder attachment but all I could find was plastic made junk that looked like it would fall apart the minute I used it. Then I found this bad-boy on Amazon -

View attachment 81023

View attachment 81024

It’s a meat grinder & sausage maker attachment designed to work with all Kitchen Aid stand mixer models and it worked perfectly with my 20 year old mixer. And the best part - it is all metal!! Not one bit of plastic on this bad-boy save for two small Teflon washers on the screw auger that are easily replaceable. It all steel construction that has serious weight to it - you drop this guy on your foot and you’re going to be headed to urgent-care for a cast! And you can completely disassemble it and put in the dishwasher so cleaning is quick and easy.

So for my steak-burger recipe I got some short-ribs and chuck steak. Here’s the pile -

View attachment 81025

I hand trimmed all the meat to remove excess fat and connective tissues. I was left with about 3-1/4 lbs of 1” meat cubes that I then preseasoned with salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder. I then chilled the meat in the coldest part of the fridge for 30mins. Here’s the shot after the grinder -

View attachment 81026

It was a beautiful pile of coarse ground meat. I decided to setup my flat iron on the gas grille and did the “smash burger” method. After searing on the flat top, I flipped them over to the grille to put some lines on them and got them to an internal temp of 145F. Here’s the shot on the grille -

View attachment 81027

No plate shot, but OMG! that was the best burger I have ever had. The mix of meat was perfect, super tender and juicy. I’m definitely grinding my own meat from now on, it’s so much better than the store ground stuff.

Matt that looks great. I always thought about grinding my own meat however it looked like too much work. I will have to look for one of those as we also have a kitchen aid mixer. You may recall I have the pasta attachments and I posted making fresh pasta which I usually in the winter:cheers:

Probably didn't take long to heat it up to season it - it's 113° outside on the NE side of town. Probably 140°+ on the metal in the direct sunlight. :D

What time should we plan on stopping by for dinner?? LOL :party:

Gene you’re not kidding, I kept moving it around following the shade. It took about 25 mins each round to season it, and it took even longer for it to cool down so I could apply the next coat of oil. In the attached photo I took at night, you can really see how well the seasoning went.

I love those things. I have my eye on one too. Let us know how it turns out. Should’ve pulled the trigger when I saw them in stock at bj’s. Now they are sold out.

Yeah I’ve been watching them for a little bit too. I finally pulled the trigger when I found the updated version at Home Depot. The first series has the drip tray on the front right of the griddle, and people were complaining that the grease would bypass the cup and run down the leg. The new version has the drip tray in the back center of the griddle, and works perfectly.
I went back and forth on the SS version vs the black, I like the look of the black one better, but if I lived in a climate that had humidity, I would have went with the SS version for sure.

Matt that looks great. I always thought about grinding my own meat however it looked like too much work. I will have to look for one of those as we also have a kitchen aid mixer. You may recall I have the pasta attachments and I posted making fresh pasta which I usually in the winter:cheers:

Took about 20-30mins of prep time to trim the meat into cubes as the rib meat has a lot more connective tissue on it to remove. You could use all chuck steak if you wanted and it would prep a lot faster. The grinder literally took a minute or two to make all that ground beef; I couldn’t feed it in fast enough to keep up. So it’s probably best to find the meat on sale, buy a big bunch of it and then prep & freeze several meals worth. The grinder works with any meat, hard cheeses or nuts. It can also grind tomatoes for making fresh sauces.

What a great Amazon find Matt. Im sure those burgers were delicious!

They were very good. Tender and juicy.

Steak Burgers

So this post will also be a bit of a gadget post as well as a food post. For a while now I have been disappointed with the meat options available for making great burgers and I’ve been wanting to vary my meat mix. So I started investigating steak-burger recipes but couldn’t get local butcher to give me the good stuff without gouging me on price. So, I started looking into grinding my own meat. I also didn’t want another gadget to clutter up the kitchen so it dawned on me to use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I looked around locally for the meat grinder attachment but all I could find was plastic made junk that looked like it would fall apart the minute I used it. Then I found this bad-boy on Amazon -

View attachment 81023

View attachment 81024

It’s a meat grinder & sausage maker attachment designed to work with all Kitchen Aid stand mixer models and it worked perfectly with my 20 year old mixer. And the best part - it is all metal!! Not one bit of plastic on this bad-boy save for two small Teflon washers on the screw auger that are easily replaceable. It all steel construction that has serious weight to it - you drop this guy on your foot and you’re going to be headed to urgent-care for a cast! And you can completely disassemble it and put in the dishwasher so cleaning is quick and easy.

So for my steak-burger recipe I got some short-ribs and chuck steak. Here’s the pile -

View attachment 81025

I hand trimmed all the meat to remove excess fat and connective tissues. I was left with about 3-1/4 lbs of 1” meat cubes that I then preseasoned with salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder. I then chilled the meat in the coldest part of the fridge for 30mins. Here’s the shot after the grinder -

View attachment 81026

It was a beautiful pile of coarse ground meat. I decided to setup my flat iron on the gas grille and did the “smash burger” method. After searing on the flat top, I flipped them over to the grille to put some lines on them and got them to an internal temp of 145F. Here’s the shot on the grille -

View attachment 81027

No plate shot, but OMG! that was the best burger I have ever had. The mix of meat was perfect, super tender and juicy. I’m definitely grinding my own meat from now on, it’s so much better than the store ground stuff.

Matt, what’s this froo froo kitchen aid attachment? You’re supposed to man up and get one of those old fashioned hand crank jobbers, that you bolt down to your kitchen table!! It’s the muscle that makes a great burger!! :laughblue:

Seriously though, if you wanna try a fantastic burger, mix in some Ah-So sauce with that freshly ground meat. WOW!!

I see sausage making in your future. ;)

So here’s the meal as described. Griddle worked fantastic, and it was real nice to be able to cook everything at once, all on different temp settings. Nothing stuck to the surface, so seasoning the griddle went perfect. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.