Official 2018 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

YIKES!!! That’s a whole lotta “rib & seed” left in those jalapeño .... you must like ‘em spicy!

I haven't had a hot jalapeño in ages. They seem to be mild as bell peppers any more. A good HOT from "Hatch" can be hotter. Love to play green chile roulette on the grill. It is the whole conversation at dinner. The merits of each chile, hot, mild, good flavor, meaty, or too thin etc. Whining about the too mild ones. Discussing flavorful but no heat vs meaty with no heat or flavor. Everybody looking for that perfect hot but flavorful, meaty but not so hot it kills you. Mmmmmm so good with a ribeye.

I do but as Pv2 states they are usually not very hot at all. When added to a recipe I do take out the rib&seed...

I haven't had a hot jalapeño in ages. They seem to be mild as bell peppers any more. A good HOT from "Hatch" can be hotter. Love to play green chile roulette on the grill. It is the whole conversation at dinner. The merits of each chile, hot, mild, good flavor, meaty, or too thin etc. Whining about the too mild ones. Discussing flavorful but no heat vs meaty with no heat or flavor. Everybody looking for that perfect hot but flavorful, meaty but not so hot it kills you. Mmmmmm so good with a ribeye.

We find hot jalapeños all the time. It’s all in the wrinkles on the skin. If it’s got wrinkles then it’s going to be hot.

- - - Updated - - -

Chicken Stirfry

This recipe came from an old girlfriend. It’s super easy to make and really has great flavor. Serve it up on a bed of rice or whole wheat pasta. Good stuff.
DCAA5E1F-F2B4-4269-9B1C-10BFE31023FD.jpg
559729C1-5302-4BA6-962D-F90DED9BEF67.jpg
40EF6CA9-15FD-479D-8562-F4D31382BEB8.jpg
D6368F3C-2880-4CCB-8D4C-C05EACF02593.jpg
BF07063E-1796-45DE-B241-F672C14A2312.jpg

Flank Steak -

Chicago rub and lime -

596289D5-1820-43D1-BFCA-2B7713DCD1BA.jpg

On the BGE in el fuego mode -

B46CF6BC-5180-4ED9-8C2C-875E1A3D3FA5.jpg

Done -

0990E98B-54A7-46C8-BB08-1BA0653570E0.jpg

And seved with sautéed mushrooms & onion, cooked broccoli slaw with cilantro-lime butter and some sweet strawberries -

8AE5D59C-2006-4D5E-9688-F17B58F3A8A0.jpg

I have been wanting to know how to cook flank steak. That used to be trash meat and now it is restaurant quality meat. Go figure??????

Love Flank steak...how was the Sam76?

I like the ‘76 a lot. Easy drinking beer. I prefer glass bottles to aluminum cans but that ain’t gonna stop me from drinking a nice beer :cheers:

I have been wanting to know how to cook flank steak. That used to be trash meat and now it is restaurant quality meat. Go figure??????

Trash meat?!?!?! No way!! Flank steak is a great cut of meat - just fatty enough to keep it moist and super easy to cook!!!

Flank needs to be cooked rare to med-rare at most (internal temp of no more than 135-140F at its thickest point). I like to slap it with a pin tenderizer and then dry season it for a few hours. Let it come up to room temp and get the grille as blazing hot as you can. I use my Big Green Egg because the can get that bad-boy up to 700F with hot flames. Then I usually cook it 4-5mins per side, no flips, no looking, just throw it down and let it cook. At 135F, I pull it off, put it on a platter, cover it with foil and let it rest for 10mins.

Trick - slice it against the grain and slice it as thin as you can, no more than 3/8” per slice.

My kids love flank steak and a 3lbs package from Costco (two slabs) is enough to feed everyone and have leftovers for lunch (makes an awesome peppers & steak sandwich).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Trick - slice it against the grain and slice it as thin as you can, no more than 3/8” per slice.

+1. The wife makes a marinated flank steak salad and that is the best way for us to get our greens! Flank steak is also great for fajitas.

A couple Fridays ago, Safeway had a gonga sale: all New Belgium and Firestone 6-packs only $5 each, limit 4 per person. Same thing on..... RIBS!!!!
Wife and I doubled down at two different branches to stock up!!! :whoot::pig: :cheers: :whoot:

file-2.jpg
Think the Nitro Merlin is my favorite. Pretty neat how they use nitrogen. Unlike Guinness, they can do it without a cartridge.

file-3.jpg
Pigsicles! :pig: :pig: :pig:

Just picked up a Sam’s Fall Mix. Not a fan of the pumpkin spice one but the others are good. I was also psyched to see Costco had the Lucky Jack nitro-brew coffee. If you like cold-brew coffee with a kick, that’s a really awesome brand. The nitrogen bubbles really give the coffee a nice creamy feel in your mouth -

809F79BC-8152-4401-A661-27742AE6224A.jpg

Just picked up summer mix from Samuel Adams unfortunately I still have the baby fridge [emoji482]
f9d987bc56d7b1b23f42485788273b61.jpg

Looking good gents!

My SWCG is making me thirsty. I may post all the details in another thread but the short of it is that I can calibrate the salt reading just fine after a power reset; however, over the course of several hours the instant read drops significantly bringing the average below specs. K-1766 shows I have 3400 ppm in there. Sigh.

Flank steak is an easy cook...just salt, pepper and marinade wet with whatever you like (garlic, onions and fresh squeezed limes) or salt, pepper and a good dry rub. The trick is to not over cook, hot grill for a sear and then tone it down for 4-6 min per side...juicy and great taste. Cut across the grain and serve with whatever just leave some to chop up in a salad...

- - - Updated - - -

&6 is good Matt but my favorite out of the bunch was the SA Porch Rocker...

- - - Updated - - -

Uncle Flappy Im loading up the family and headed to Tucson :)

- - - Updated - - -

Matt I have never heard of the Lucky Jack...I will look for it!

Flank steak is an easy cook...just salt, pepper and marinade wet with whatever you like (garlic, onions and fresh squeezed limes) or salt, pepper and a good dry rub. The trick is to not over cook, hot grill for a sear and then tone it down for 4-6 min per side...juicy and great taste. Cut across the grain and serve with whatever just leave some to chop up in a salad...

- - - Updated - - -

&6 is good Matt but my favorite out of the bunch was the SA Porch Rocker...

- - - Updated - - -

Uncle Flappy Im loading up the family and headed to Tucson :)

- - - Updated - - -

Matt I have never heard of the Lucky Jack...I will look for it!

Your Costco might have it. Mine has it intermittently. It’s in the refrigerated section as it has to stay cold. If you like cold brew coffee, this stuff will give you a nice kick in the pants in the morning. Just remember to gently invert-shake the bottle to get the settled solids off the bottom for the full, eye-opening effect :shock:

(A little bit of Baily’s and whiskey makes for a fun, after-dinner drink... :cheers: )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.