New contract / New build - SE Pennsylvania, Gunite free form pool and spa

Lol nice! Do u have a build thread over there. Ya same screen name over there. My build was suppose to be done by now but this whole pool situation got in the way. My build started off as a build and then I wanted to get the basement done so I could get started outside so my room is a soUndproof closet right now. lol I'm ready for finish work over there. Trim out acoustics equipment. Nyal is doing my acoustic plan. My build is my hobby but I'm also involved heavily with my buddy's business which is a home theatre business that has been around for 35 ish years now. It was a 2 channel business then translated into whole home audio video home theatre and then I landed and started to take it into automation and more heavier designed dedicated rooms. My room is going to be a 7.4.4 setup from triad. Silver all around. It's all I needed for the room size. Prob Seymour or Stewart screen. Jvc projector. Ada amps most likely. Marantz pre. Acoustics will be diy from Nyal's plan. My buddy's shop will be doing all my woodwork fro the acoustic panels. Typical coffered wood ceiling with acoustics and all the walls wrapped in wood and acoustics. Typical wood/acoustic build. Last thing we did was hand the door. We built it down dave's shop. I finished up the stage and riser and then turned my attention to finishing the basement to get outside that spring. Who knows when I'll get back at it. I know I got by buddy in my ear cause it was suppose to be done by now to show but . . . Ya you know pool and everything else.

Everything audio and video is me. Automation is all hai/Vera with irule for control. I knew the owner well. My whole home audio is nuvo as u prob know from reading here. My upstairs setup in my living room is triangle for bed audio and triad for subs and atmos. Bouncy speakers. Lol. Did them to show people tha can't mount in the ceiling that they work. They really do. It takes some careful placement but it works. My basement setup is a very very simple triad all inwall setup to show you can have quality in a small package plus my theatre is down there. If u look at my Flickr account u can see the whole build out. My door is detailed there too. Works well.

Hopefully 2 years I can get back on it. You know. The acoustics alone and trim out can be as much as a pool.

Ur room sounds awesome! The jtr speakers are pretty sweet. Do u have a build over there? I haven't been there much cause I'm so deep into my build outside. I'm trying to figure out how to swing a projector outside right now. Lol. I might start to research super short throw projectors cause of my setup out there. I don't know yet. For the 5 months of use it's prob not worth it.

jimi

Funny how so many of these hobbies overlap. Would love to check out your setup one day - oh, and the pool as well. :) Nyal does awesome work, many of my buddies have used him for design work. If I were doing a serious/dedicated room I'd definitely use him. Although my trial/error/measuring changes method seem to work quite well for now. :) I'm fairly flat 5hz - 16khz now.

You should totally do the outdoor screen - I had that factored in for this year as well when I thought the pool may be done but the wife said NO way that's a priority right now, haha. Maybe in 2019?

Build thread over the years - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-what-s-your-system-configuration/1428456-gorilla83-s-humble-basement-hangout.html - I'm not sure this is 100% up to date now but it's close haha.

I was just over there. Lol. If I ever bring back my thread I will have to only post once done cause I have started and stopped so many times now. Lol

if u r ever up my area let me know. Door is always open. I totally remember ur home theatre of the month. I remember the outdoor pic of the sub build.

I wish i was was working on my room vs this project. I had such good momentum going. I even had Dave talking down the shop that the theatre is next. We just had finished the bar. He was actually looking forward to building the theatre out since it was going to be so heavy with wood and detail work. This would be his first theatre. Then I walked in one day and said ya she wants a pool. Lol and he said ya see u in 5 years. We r on year 2 . Lol. We did just finish my few outdoor kitchen pices I needed for outside but they r simple so he really wasn't feeling it. Lol.

Ya know bagging the theatexright now was good since there isn't a lot of native 4K projectors yet. Well at least not since this week. I knew I should have went to Cedia this year.

I do have my living room setup at least for movies. It's fine for now. It's a fun setup.

Jimi

Once again - my blood is boiling. Stayed back from work today to meet the electrician. He arrives at 9AM with 100% of the wrong equipment - he had a mix of Hayward and Jandy stuff and was prepared to only install 1 pump and nothing else. A&S did not prepare him at all with any of the right information nor the parts. Waiting on a call back from the PB.

On a positive note - The Plumber (gas and autofill hookup) was scheduled for today and was able to get his work done - at least 90% of it.

Two steps forward, one step back...ugh

I know even the electrician said he was very glad I was there. I think he was shocked how much I knew about the equipment and electrical in general, lol. I have a big electrical background but I've learned a TON from this place thanks to all of you guys. :)

I got call back from the PB, they're dropping off the equipment tomorrow (easytouch, lights, etc) and going to attempt an install the following day again. I REALLY want to get the backfill and tile and coping in. We have a meet and greet scheduled with our landscapers/hardscapers next Friday and I know they want to get rolling ASAP with the retaining wall, boulders/waterfall, and pavers. That is what I'm really looking forward to!

On a positive note - Plumber put in his work. Gas line for heater is in, autofill feed and overfiow is in, and I got him to (off contract) install a 3/4" gas line to the patio for future grill/pavillion use. Inspection passed as well. Progress!

But, but, but..............what did he say about NOT having it there for the first try?????????????????

When you see the equipment go over it with a fine tooth comb! Find the model numbers and check them against your list. Are all of the boxes sealed? Grab all manuals and paperwork so you can register everything for the warranty. Is everything here?? Make a check list to make sure.

There was one build where the PB brought in the smallest cartridge filter we have ever seen instead of the over sized one the PO had picked out and paid for :(

Kim:kim:

But, but, but..............what did he say about NOT having it there for the first try?????????????????

When you see the equipment go over it with a fine tooth comb! Find the model numbers and check them against your list. Are all of the boxes sealed? Grab all manuals and paperwork so you can register everything for the warranty. Is everything here?? Make a check list to make sure.

There was one build where the PB brought in the smallest cartridge filter we have ever seen instead of the over sized one the PO had picked out and paid for :(

Kim:kim:

The "mistake" was straight up lack of communication from the scheduler to the electrician. They didn't supply him the right information - simple as that and therefore he picked up the wrong equipment from the warehouse.

Believe me I'm all over the equipment - so much so I think they're a bit shocked lol.

Some pics from today's trenching - our "yard" is looking pretty sad at this point, haha

20180912_224137820_iOS.jpg20180912_232241309_iOS.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We went through the same struggle with the pb - TERRIBLE COMMUNICATION!! I'm glad you're on top of things!! Now I need to check my equipment!

Let us know if you have any questions at all regarding equipment, plumbing, etc. We're here to help - I've learned enough through this process that I would feel very comfortable doing an owner build next time (ha!) around. For the record I would NOT be using this PB again.

Don’t talk to me about terrible communication [emoji31] I think it’s a job requirement in this industry. It drives me nuts and I don’t know of any other industry that is so terrible.

Speaking of plumbing I’m sure you’ve already done so but if not take photos of it all. Every elbow and join. Every run. My new pool has (had until yesterday) a leak and the plumber was able to look at my photos and identify the exact location. Even the leak detection guy couldn’t tell us where it exactly just the line it was in.

Let us know if you have any questions at all regarding equipment, plumbing, etc. We're here to help - I've learned enough through this process that I would feel very comfortable doing an owner build next time (ha!) around. For the record I would NOT be using this PB again.

ya i got the warm and fuzzy from them at first but then when i started asking for specific things and also to work with me with my guys i got the weird feeling but what did it for me was whe ni specifically said when will someone from ur place physically be there? everytime a crew is on site and they said u will see us the mark. then aafter gunite and then before plaster. "but we are always available via phone and text". i said i want a body not a voice. that's when i walked. my builder owner was onsite every single single day. he went on other jobs throughout the day but in general everyday in the AM and PM he was there. gunite day. . . every single minute. him and 4 of his guys. plaster day. . . most fo the day but his main guy every single minute.

i'm sorry but these projects need that kinda attention i feel. its a very dynamic process. things happen on the fly everyday.

it's all good! u be the general! keep on em!

- - - Updated - - -

i took full videos when i built my house. it has saved us 2 times now. once for a small leak that we were able to fix through a 12x12 hole vs ripping a ceiling out and another time for something video for myself. so worth the time. it's fun to go back and watch them and hear my dad's buddies talking in the background. they are almost like a video journal. lol

Don’t talk to me about terrible communication [emoji31] I think it’s a job requirement in this industry. It drives me nuts and I don’t know of any other industry that is so terrible.

Speaking of plumbing I’m sure you’ve already done so but if not take photos of it all. Every elbow and join. Every run. My new pool has (had until yesterday) a leak and the plumber was able to look at my photos and identify the exact location. Even the leak detection guy couldn’t tell us where it exactly just the line it was in.

i took full videos when i built my house. it has saved us 2 times now. once for a small leak that we were able to fix through a 12x12 hole vs ripping a ceiling out and another time for something video for myself. so worth the time. it's fun to go back and watch them and hear my dad's buddies talking in the background. they are almost like a video journal. lol

Video is a great idea! I was just happy to have photos. I wasn’t expecting to be needing them before we were officially done with the contract. Pb leak guy and plumber were all very surprised I had them and very grateful. I did suggest to pb it wouldn’t be a bad idea to photograph all plumbing works etc before concrete to keep on file for any future call backs. That’ll never happen though [emoji849] Thanks TFP once again for the advise [emoji4]

I did get several ground and overhead shots via the drone but I'm missing of a few of the final pics since I wasn't home for the final backfill. I have diagrams of it all though so should be good.

ya i got the warm and fuzzy from them at first but then when i started asking for specific things and also to work with me with my guys i got the weird feeling but what did it for me was whe ni specifically said when will someone from ur place physically be there? everytime a crew is on site and they said u will see us the mark. then aafter gunite and then before plaster. "but we are always available via phone and text". i said i want a body not a voice. that's when i walked. my builder owner was onsite every single single day. he went on other jobs throughout the day but in general everyday in the AM and PM he was there. gunite day. . . every single minute. him and 4 of his guys. plaster day. . . most fo the day but his main guy every single minute.

i'm sorry but these projects need that kinda attention i feel. its a very dynamic process. things happen on the fly everyday.

it's all good! u be the general! keep on em!

Agree 100% that every step needs supervision. If the PB isn't there each step then YOU (the homeowner) will be the one doing the QA checks and managing the subs, that's what everyone building needs to realize. I will say I've been very happy with the subs that we've had come out so far. They been friendly, knowledgeable, and flexible with changes (move to 3" plumbing from 2", add gas line to patio, etc). Also at the end of the day our pricing was more than fair and we've been compensated for some of the hassle/frustration - let's see how this comes together before I make a final judgement.

More progress - lots of work done on the electrical side yesterday. Bonding, trenches, conduit, and initial easy touch panel setup yesterday complete. They will come back next week to do the wire pull, hookups, and final setup. They left me with the ScreenLogic components yesterday so I’ll get that hooked up tomorrow. Again, really nice knowledgeable guys. They had no problem working with me to add in a relay and outlet for controlling our landscape lighting. Also worked with me to place the outlet behind the pool exactly where I wanted. Glad I was home!

While the trenches are open I’m going to run a couple of 12-2 direct burial wire to the patio for future pavilion and outdoor kitchen. I started digging yesterday for the extra space I’ll need and will finish tomorrow. Might as well, right? Then I’ll have both gas and electric out to the pavilion area.

We are away for the day today but apparently they are supposed to do a backfill and rough grade today. Bonding inspection up on Monday.

6EFAF463-E555-425C-A595-FF7179AEAFA5.jpg

I will have no problem with screen logic setup. Everyone here has helped me out with it. U do the wired version? Or wireless. I did wired. I put the protocol box in my panel box in basement in case for reboots.

Panel looks nice and neat. How high off the ground is it?

I will have no problem with screen logic setup. Everyone here has helped me out with it. U do the wired version? Or wireless. I did wired. I put the protocol box in my panel box in basement in case for reboots.

Panel looks nice and neat. How high off the ground is it?

i hope to get some time to play with the screenlogic later today. I could do wired or wireless since I have a router in the shed next to the equipment.

Panel is looking good. It’s about 18” off the ground if I recall. A little lower than I was expecting but I guess ok?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.