New build near College Station, TX

Amynicolemc

Gold Supporter
Jul 21, 2017
TX
Ha all! We are towards the final stages on designing and getting close to signing a contract with the PB. Before we sign I wanted to post and see if there is anything we should change. Along with the pool build, we are also having an attached covered back porch built that will be 33'X15' (20' gable and 12' flat)

Pool specs- free form
100' perimeter
557 square feet
Approx 16,000 gallons
4'-7' deep

Travertine coping

2 color logic led lights

2 deep end benches

7.5 ft sunshelf (wanted it this size to allow for steps to be on the side of it)

2 bublers

Steel 8" o.c. with added steel at stress points

Gunite application with no rebound

Manual fill line

Overflow line and grate

Safety bender during construction

True 6" antivortex main drain 5' apart

4 bar stools

6" raised bar top with antico stone top

Standard waterline tile

Hayward cartridge filter

2HP Tristar VS pump

2 skimmers

6 returns

Mini fusion pebble finish plaster

Omnilogic control panel

Hayward 40k salt chlorinator

Hayward heat pro pump

705 Sq foot belgard catalina slate pavers

Stegmire control joints

5 ton grotto with double waterfall

2 HP Tristar VS pump for water features

Texas star mosaic on Sunshelf

Hopefully I'm not forgetting anything as I just went down the list that was provided to me.

TIA for any help!

Amy,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool builders whether their Station went to College or not... :drown:

I did not see any really red flags... I am not personally a bar stool guy, as they get in the way of any automated cleaners, but not a major issue.

One reason to get a VS pump is so you can run it slow to save money on the electrical bill. I would want to make sure that your double waterfall will work the way you want without having to run your VS pump at max speed. I would talk with the PB to see if it makes more sense to have a separate waterfall pump.

You will love your new saltwater pool....

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Amy,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool builders whether their Station went to College or not... :drown:

I did not see any really red flags... I am not personally a bar stool guy, as they get in the way of any automated cleaners, but not a major issue.

One reason to get a VS pump is so you can run it slow to save money on the electrical bill. I would want to make sure that your double waterfall will work the way you want without having to run your VS pump at max speed. I would talk with the PB to see if it makes more sense to have a separate waterfall pump.

You will love your new saltwater pool....

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim [emoji4] The barstools are a must for the hubby so I'll make sure he knows how to use the brush real good.

The VS pump for the grotto/waterfalls was also another thing hubby was wanting so that he could have a low water flow or higher, think Niagara Falls lol. Don't exactly know what to expect but I hope it works the way he wants.

Amy,

I just read your post wrong... I thought you just had one VS pump for everything. After re-reading your post I see you have a separate VS pump for just the water features.. It think this is an excellent idea..

Sorry for any confusion,

Jim R.

Does anyone have any comments on equipment setup, etc? A few things on here have been changed such as the WF pump will be a VS one and we are doing away with the aquanaut clean and opting for a robot instead. TIA
2bb1ebbeb9e9c3f1118e2d6f1c27a216.jpg

Sounds like a great setup. Especially love the thought of the grotto w/double waterfall and also the Texas star mosaic! I love bar stools, but would echo what Jim said about cleaners and being a pain to brush.

One thing that jumps out is the sunshelf (assuming it's what we call a tanning ledge) and its size. Not sure what the 7.5 is, if it's width or SF. Ours is close to 25 SF, roughly 8x4' in an eye shape and gets used a ton and if our pool was bigger, we'd have gone bigger. Another thing is the depth going from 4-7' in 33'. Just want to make sure you have a decent sized shallow end since that's where people tend to hang out when you have people over. And are you sure on the gallons? Ours is almost exactly the same length and width, but about 450 SF surface and 85' SF perimeter, but shallower at 3'5" to 5'5" gradual depth. So much shallower than yours with our deep end basically being your average depth and about 110 less SF. Ours is 14,700 gallons and it would seem yours would be quite a bit more than 16,000.

Sounds like a great setup. Especially love the thought of the grotto w/double waterfall and also the Texas star mosaic! I love bar stools, but would echo what Jim said about cleaners and being a pain to brush.

One thing that jumps out is the sunshelf (assuming it's what we call a tanning ledge) and its size. Not sure what the 7.5 is, if it's width or SF. Ours is close to 25 SF, roughly 8x4' in an eye shape and gets used a ton and if our pool was bigger, we'd have gone bigger. Another thing is the depth going from 4-7' in 33'. Just want to make sure you have a decent sized shallow end since that's where people tend to hang out when you have people over. And are you sure on the gallons? Ours is almost exactly the same length and width, but about 450 SF surface and 85' SF perimeter, but shallower at 3'5" to 5'5" gradual depth. So much shallower than yours with our deep end basically being your average depth and about 130 less SF. Ours is 14,700 gallons and it would seem yours would be quite a bit more than 16,000.

Thanks TXHeat! The 7.5' is the width and it's the same thing as a tanning ledge. They originally had it all the way across with steps down the front but we cut it down some to allow the steps to be on the side. The length of the pool is 38' and about half of that will be 4'-4 1/2' before the slope to the deep end.

I never thought to do the calculations myself on how many gallons and it looks like you're right and their software calculated wrong. Using 18'X38' with an average depth of 5.5' I'm coming up with approximately 28,000 gallons.

Thanks TXHeat! The 7.5' is the width and it's the same thing as a tanning ledge. They originally had it all the way across with steps down the front but we cut it down some to allow the steps to be on the side. The length of the pool is 38' and about half of that will be 4'-4 1/2' before the slope to the deep end.

I never thought to do the calculations myself on how many gallons and it looks like you're right and their software calculated wrong. Using 18'X38' with an average depth of 5.5' I'm coming up with approximately 28,000 gallons.

Gotcha......must have missed your diagram earlier too. Now I totally get what you're talking about. Only thing I would think about is making the tanning ledge as big as possible and relocating the steps accordingly. Or maybe even a beach entry and no steps? The beach entry was what we really wanted, but just didn't have the space (overall length) to make it work without eating up too much of the shallow end of the pool. And you might not either, but just a suggestion. And in addition, on depth......whether y'all really want or need a 7' depth at the deep end and maybe think about a little shallower in the shallow end. Seems like a substantial grade in the last half of the pool. I love the 3.5" in our shallow end and if I had it to do over again, I'd have gone 5' instead of 5'6" in the deep end and made the deeper end more usable for larger groups. But it's definitely individual preference and how you plan to use your pool.

But looks like a great plan and looking forward to you sharing your build. Very exciting for sure!

Howdy!

Really like the design! very similar to ours that we're building now. The only thing that I would give some thought to is the tanning ledge steps. You basically have one entry/exit point and the rest of the shelf has a 3.5' drop off. Maybe want to think about steps all around the shelf? I know the steps tend to be a natural hanging out spot for us. May not be a big deal to yall, but thought i'd toss it out. Looks great and keep us posted!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it feasible to move the equipment just around the corner of the house in order to conceal it a bit more? May help with noise as well.
Unfortunately the AC is around that corner, not leaving enough room for the equipment pad. You'd think with almost 2 acres to work with there'd be more options but with the AC and aerobic septic system, there's a lot of obstacles to contend with.

I strongly recommend getting a channel main drain versus round style drains. The channel drain is flat with the surface and will be sure not to provide a potential spot for your [emoji880] to get high-centered on.

Lookup A&S Channel Drain. They also come with tops that receive pebble finishes.

I think there is an additional network light module required on Hayward systems to make the most of the lights. I don’t have it so I can’t program shows or go right to a specific color. I have to cycle them on/off to change colors.

I strongly recommend getting a channel main drain versus round style drains. The channel drain is flat with the surface and will be sure not to provide a potential spot for your [emoji880] to get high-centered on.

Lookup A&S Channel Drain. They also come with tops that receive pebble finishes.

I think there is an additional network light module required on Hayward systems to make the most of the lights. I don’t have it so I can’t program shows or go right to a specific color. I have to cycle them on/off to change colors.
We're getting the AVSC channel style drain so hopefully it will be ok

0d675a2d743268274ebe967fdd3d68c6.jpg

Great. The quote mentioned something else or I missed it.

Looks great.

If your pool volume is closer to 28000 gallons, I would suggest a larger SWCG. A 40K cell will be worked very hard in your summer months. A unit rated for 60K gallons would be better.

Take care.

Hi Amy! Thanks for letting us spend your money! LOL LOVE your yard and design! Very well thought out!

Make sure you get a light put by the equipment pad. The first time you have to do something there at night you will thank me!

Kim:kim:

Our dig day is set for Wednesday!! :)

We met with the PB today and picked out some finishes. The plaster isn't set in stone yet so that could still change. The Noce tile pictured will actually be two rows of 2"X4" subway style tiles to go under the raised bar between the bar top and the waterline tile. The coping will be the Noce tumbled travertine
93a15c271149e46950f7bb706e2ff374.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.