Montgomery TX pool & patio build!

blay127

Gold Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Montgomery, TX
This will be my family and I's first pool. We are a few weeks into the build and I thought I'd share our journey. A good buddy of mine has a pool that we are at very often and he turned me on to this site, and I'm so glad he did! I guess a few specs first:

- in ground, gunite, ~18,000 gal
- tanning ledge entry, in pool table & bench
- 7' hot tub with spillover edge
- moss rock weeping wall, jumping rock
- Wet Edge Quartz St Marteen plaster
- Blue Brown Oklahoma Flagstone coping
- Spray deck coating
- A&A Mfg in floor cleaner
- Pentair equipment

The initial design

Our backyard just before excavation. View is from our treehouse that i'm also building (maybe more on that later)

Excavation started on August 22nd!

In floor cleaner plumbing and rebar

They were scheduled to gunite Friday the 25th, but Harvey came on too fast. They came out and flashed the pool to try and keep the walls from caving in

It was a ton of rain over the next few days. The walls broke up a bit and some of the walls caved a little. We thought it was the end of the world, but our PB reassured us that it wasnt that bad.

Things dried up a bit and they came back out on September 1st to clean out the mess and spray gunite!

Proud Owner!

Yesterday they came out and started the plumbing and a bit of the stone work

And what my yard looks like as of yesterday evening.

The mason is supposed to be there today doing more rock work, cant wait to get home and see!

That's it for now, thanks for looking!

Wow one of the cleanest builds I have seen. Our builder didn't care at all about the surrounding areas of the pool there was no attempt at all to contain the mess. With yours if the deck guy is as neat it'll look perfect when done without sod or anything.

Please, please, please....tell me you own the land behind your yard and fence and that it will never be built on? What a great yard you have! Nice private view too.

Keep those pictures coming!!

Sweet baby too :)

Maddie :flower:

OH yeah! In to watch this one! CUTE kid, proud owner who will share about the tree house (pretty please :angel:) and already knows about the TFP way! SWEET!

That back yard was screaming for a pool! LOVE the design!

kim:kim:

Great pics!

Thanks!! I'll keep'em comin

Wow one of the cleanest builds I have seen. Our builder didn't care at all about the surrounding areas of the pool there was no attempt at all to contain the mess. With yours if the deck guy is as neat it'll look perfect when done without sod or anything.

They have been pretty tidy so far. There is very easy access to get back there so there is only one truck path through the yard. I didnt have great grass before, so i'm not sad at all about some of the yard being torn up.

Please, please, please....tell me you own the land behind your yard and fence and that it will never be built on? What a great yard you have! Nice private view too.

Keep those pictures coming!!

Sweet baby too :)

Maddie :flower:

Thanks! I wish I owned it. Its a 70 acre ranch that an older lady owns. There is some cattle and they often come up to the fence to check on us. We were honestly trying to decide whether to save our money and attempt to purchase that land or build a pool. Well, you see what happened there....:D

OH yeah! In to watch this one! CUTE kid, proud owner who will share about the tree house (pretty please :angel:) and already knows about the TFP way! SWEET!

That back yard was screaming for a pool! LOVE the design!

kim:kim:

Thanks to you too! I thought so as well. It is a good sized back yard and I wont miss mowing all of it now. Let me see if i can put some treehouse pics up...

The treehouse build has been going on for a few months now. It has taken way longer than i had expected, but I am really happy with how its going.

The original plan was just an 8' x 8' square around one of the big pine trees in our back yard. Well I quickly decided that wouldnt be fun enough, so I drew up a plan to involve the next pine tree over, its about 30' away.

Started like this

Then it started growing...

Grew into this (view from other side, looking toward the house)

Even with 2x10 joists it was still a bit more flimsy than i wanted. So i added some supports

Good friend of mine came over to help me spray it

Started decking it. Got a visit from the local inspectors.

Cows coming for a looksee

Then i built a metal stand to support the middle of the bridge. The bridge has a gap in the middle to allow the trees to sway independently of each other. It also acts as the ladder so the kids can climb up the the monkey bars that will be underneath the bridge on one side. The other side under the bridge will have swings.

The bridge rests in this steel cradle. It is lined with UHMW plastic (very slippery) so that the trees can sway.

Well thats where it sits now. Still lots of work to be done, hoping to finish before the pool is done!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The mason has been hard at work and it's looking great so far! Electricians also came out yesterday and wired everything. Cant believe how fast it is all moving.

Here is a sample piece of the flagstone that shows off some of the color

Weeping wall so far. I believe there are several more rocks to be placed.
36933375482_22662ed084_b.jpg

Another panoramic view of the yard. I love our sunsets out here
36962202491_d4e66ee623_h.jpg

Here is our waterline tile. Its hard for the camera to pick it up, but the silver tiles really sparkle

A little bit concerned that it looks too checkered, but i think once the grout, plaster, and water is in it will all come together

All the flagstone coping should be done today. Its all really dusty so you cant tell the color just yet.

I washed off a piece to try and show the color. Again the camera doesnt do it justice. There is a ton of mica in this rock and it REALLY sparkles, almost glitter like. Daughter loves it.

And finally, I got the monkey bars up on the treehouse and my daughter had to make sure they were sufficient.

Thats it for today, hope to have more soon!

LOVE the colors on the flagstone! PRETTY!

They are doing an awesome job with the cuts on the coping! Looks well thought out. Artist with a big saw!

What color of grout did you pic for the waterline tile?

Looks like the monkey bars are purrfect! Well done Dad!

Kim:kim:

Equipment pad and electrical complete
36353384743_ee115bbf4a_b.jpg

More rock work. Flagstone around the hot tub.
36977987506_1145c1e715_b.jpg

Rock cluster. I am interested to see how they plaster around this.
36353384083_49b3b6cbe0_b.jpg

Jumping rock and step

Almost complete weeping wall

Hot tub rock spillover

Skimmer and Auto Fill flagstone covers. Wasnt expecting this but i think its pretty cool!

And treehouse update - finished all of the decking finally and started working on the hatch opening. You can see the hole in the floor down towards the end of the bridge.

All for now!

Well we are in a holding pattern for now. They dont have enough tile to finish the remaining areas, and the distributor is out of southern florida. I know they have their hands full right now, so no telling when any tile will get on the roads.

The PB was ready to form the decking, but we had an issue with our house that required us to hold off. Now we lost our place in line, but hopefully they can get back to us next week.

I havent shown anything yet on the patio (because i dont have anything to show!) but we will be adding a 30' x 14' extended gable style patio cover along with all of this. Have to wait until the decking is poured and cured a bit before anything on that can begin though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.