Dome pool heater for 12' above ground

most people seem to say those are pretty useless, even hooking up 2 of them. the better ones are the ones that are rectangular and can mount on the roof or ground. first try a solar blanket to keep warmth in during the night - do you already have one?

In a word NO, eh :)

Search amazon.ca for a cheap as you can get solar cover they only last three years anyways, that will help you keep the heat. I think Canadian Tire has clearance sales on this stuff right now ;)
If you go for an add on solar heater check this out 40 sq ft for about the same price as that little donut
https://www.amazon.ca/1-2X20-SunQuest-Swimming-Heater-Mounting/dp/B0098MD5JY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1500337482&sr=8-6&keywords=pool+heaters
something along those lines will server you best, it evens allows for expansion.

Well a safety cover is also going to prevent evaporation which should also retain the Heat. These solar covers really do not add heat they mostly just retain the existing Heat. If you still want more heat then I too would recommend the commercial flat solar mats over any of the tiny little domes.

If you're currently covering it with nothing then a blanket shouldn't be an additional problem. Have you thought of putting up those side fencing panels?

You mean like a fence around the pool. Might be a bit excessive given it's only a 12' pool. But guess a heater is too :)
Apparently it just needs to be covered for safety but not a solar blanket as it's not a safety cover.
Guess, a plywood is the only solution as the top for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where are you located? Please add to your profile and fill out your signature.

You can't say X number of sqft will add Y number of degrees ... too many other variables.

The more sqft of solar, the more heat you will add.

Usually want 50-100% of the sqft of your pool surface in sqft of solar ... the higher end if you are in colder climates with not good sun exposure.

Where are you located? Please add to your profile and fill out your signature.

You can't say X number of sqft will add Y number of degrees ... too many other variables.

The more sqft of solar, the more heat you will add.

Usually want 50-100% of the sqft of your pool surface in sqft of solar ... the higher end if you are in colder climates with not good sun exposure.

Montreal.
Pool is 12' ABG.
Solar panels could potentially be 2'x20'.
Daytime temperatures currently 73, night time 55. Pool 66-68 all day.

Well, heat pumps do not work well when the air temp gets down in the 60s ... and they cost $ to run.

Solar is an upfront cost and then as long as the sun is out, they are adding heat to the pool.

It is impossible to say.

Depends on the sun exposure to the mats, the flow rates through the panels, etc.

40 sqft will add some heat and will bump the temperature up some in the summer ... but it will not do much for you in the shoulder seasons to extend your use.

It is impossible to say.

Depends on the sun exposure to the mats, the flow rates through the panels, etc.

40 sqft will add some heat and will bump the temperature up some in the summer ... but it will not do much for you in the shoulder seasons to extend your use.

The pump is a 330 gallon pump (I assume that's per hour).
Mats can face South but would be a 45 degree angle downwards on a hill...and be in the sun all day.
That's about 3000 gallons? meaning pump should be on 9hrs a day.

I am not going to say you will get X number of degrees if that is what you are attempting to get me to say ;)

I am not sure I follow your logic on the 9 hours a day thing. I think you might be calculating the time for a turnover ... but, at TFP we do not believe there is any reason to worry about that. Most pools only need a few hours of pump run time to circulate the chemistry.

I have no idea what the 330 gallon pump means ... 330 gallons per hour would be ridiculously slow. I measure 40 gallons per minute with my pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.