Finally, it is on! Southeast PA Build

I used the quick daily test for Chlorine. I'll try the other tests, but since the plaster got scheduled last minute I had no time to order fill water. I'm stuck with my hoses....it's all city water one way or another.

Looks like about 30 hours to fill! It's 88 here today and will be in the 80s all week so I'll enjoy brushing the heck out of it.
0b573b31d2f55dbcc823455c28931917.jpg

I would brush it. It cannot hurt anything and it might help in the long run.

Good job putting something over the ends of the hoses! Keep the water flowing so you don't get a ring around the pool. You can slow it down do one hose if you need to if it looks like it might get full before you get up in the morning.

Remember it might look a little "green" at first. This is very normal. The true plaster color will come through as the water gets balanced.

Kim:kim:

Alright so today they did the startup. Added two gallons of acid and turned on the equipment. They asked me to add two pucks to the skimmers in two days. I know these increase CYA, but since there has been nothing added so far I don't see the harm. Sound good?

Also, when we run the pump at ~2500+ RPM there is some loud rattling the multi-port valve. Is this normal? I back washed a bit (though I have a cartridge filter) to see if something was in the multi-port, but that did not change anything.

Pucks for start up are very normal.

The rattle in the valve does not sound good. That is NOT normal. I would call the PB and have someone come out to look and listen to it. You should not hear anything from that part of the equipment. Do you know how to use a screwdriver to isolate sound?

Alright so today they did the startup. Added two gallons of acid and turned on the equipment. They asked me to add two pucks to the skimmers in two days. I know these increase CYA, but since there has been nothing added so far I don't see the harm. Sound good?

Also, when we run the pump at ~2500+ RPM there is some loud rattling the multi-port valve. Is this normal? I back washed a bit (though I have a cartridge filter) to see if something was in the multi-port, but that did not change anything.

The valve can make noise if it is not opened all the way and the pressure is high. I get this if I switch a 3 way valve between features. Once you open all the way the noise goes away.

Screw driver to find sounds-put the metal part on the ?? and put your ear on the plastic end. Move the screw driver around until you can find just where the sound is coming from.

I could not isolate the sound with the screwdriver method. Some places I could not quite get my head close up to the screwdriver because a handle or pipe was in the way. I brought it up with the indoctrination tech, and he asked me why I have a multi-port valve in the first place since I have a cartridge filter. My answer was that they installed it without asking. So do I need the multiport? It seems like a nice bonus if I ever need to bypass the filter (algae bloom cleanup) or just drain out some water. I do have a hose bib attached to the pool plumbing, but I don't think that is the same. I asked the PB to look at it as I don't have the lubricants to take apart the valve and securely put it back.

I tried moving the valve between features and that made no difference. It sounds like there are rocks bouncing around in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I HAVE to ask................ are you SURE you have a cartridge filter? That is the multi valve for a sand filter......see the backwash and rinse settings? That is for a sand filter. hummmm I did a search for you number (S8M500) and it does come up as a cartridge filter. Here is a link to the filter listed in your siggy:

Sta-Rite S8M500 System 3 Cartridge Filters on Sale at YourPoolHQ

How does your compare in looks/set up to the one in the link? I see some gray on yours and notice the linked one is all black.

Color me confused :confused: I will be on the look out for your answer.

That is my filter. I'm going to open it up to check it out. Maybe I'll see some debris stuck in the plumbing between the filter and multi-port. The grey in the background is the plastic equipment pad.

There is no need to backwash this filter. I think they put it on by accident. I like the idea if having it so I can quickly drain out water or bypass the filter. Not sure I'll need to, but it's there now. Is there a downside other than the noise?

I like It for that reason also. Mine only makes noise when I turn it.

So this is prob not the issue but did anyone try to change its setting with the pump still running cause that will mess up it

So I ran some tests on the water. The only chlorination so far per startup instructions from the PB was two pucks in each of my two skimmers two days ago. I am worried about the CH level being low and the water pulling minerals from the plaster. Do I need to add Calcium or are these numbers ok?

pH 7.2
CYA 0
FC 1
TA 80
CH 125

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.