Finally, it is on! Southeast PA Build

I am a little late to the party here, but you indicated you had a concern of rising PH during the winter while your pool is closed. There is nothing stopping you from pulling your cover back and pouring in Muriatic acid and stirring the water with your brush. My pool was finished late August 2016 and that was what he recommended.

Coping and tile are in.

Now I have to finalize whether or not to do brushed or rock salt finished concrete decking. The PB's concrete guy has never done a rock salt finish. I am wondering if I should go elsewhere or if it should be simple enough for someone experienced with concrete. My neighbor's looks great after 15 years in our mid-atlantic winters, but I worry one wrong move will equal spalling.

Any concrete pros out there?

96726d833f3836e266d02e428bf1b2dd.jpg

Thanks! The PB also tells me the concrete won't have rebar or a wire mesh. I'm not sure if I should insist on it? The ground was barely moved around the pool as everything was so flat. So I really have two questions, this and the previous post about the salt finish.

No concrete expert here but our deck had a wire mesh grid though I don't think it got pulled up into the setting concrete very well if at all. And I always thought that the reason you don't see salt finish concrete in freeze areas is the potential for water go get in the cavities and then expand and crack the surface everywhere. Our concrete is cracked (straight line cracks), most of which happened quickly and not much since. But it is concrete and it does that many times. Which brings to mind the saying, "there are two types of concrete, concrete that has cracked and concrete that will crack". Brushed finishes are very clean looking and give good traction. I once saw a brushed finish where the surface was just very lightly brushed, but then the installer used a small brush, maybe 1 - 1 1/2" wide, and created random biggish stone-like patterns with brush strokes. I always liked that look and thought about doing it before we went with our finish.

I had thought that about the salt finish as well, but my neighbors concrete deck has that finish with no spalling and maybe one crack over the entire area.

Yeah, I think the issue is whether or not this is complicated enough that I should get a contractor whom has done it or if someone with significant concrete experience in general would be able to tackle this without issues down the road. And if I need rebar/wire mesh. I presume it will crack one way or another over time, but would like to reduce the size/number of cracks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It seems to me that you'd need mesh or rebar for, if nothing else, a tie into your pool shell bonding. Having said that, since you have freeze-thaw considerations, you want an air-entrained mix with chert free aggregate. Tell the contractor you want the same mix your state DOT specs for sidewalks and other flatwork. That will cover the above proportions needed for a quality mix. Moving on to slab reinforcement, you will want a wire mesh centered in your slab. They will tell you they pull it up as they pour, but that just doesn't work in the real world. Try standing on some mesh and pull it up at the same time. Doesn't work does it? The next consideration is the design of your control joints and expansion joints. Concrete will crack, but you can determine, to a large part, where those cracks will occur. I'll post you a link to some info in this regard.

https://www.concrete.org/committees/getagendaminutes.aspx?DocID=58127

Probably more information than you're looking for but it will assist you in speaking with your contractor in his language. If your heart is set on a salt finish, by all means, choose a contractor that knows how to do it correctly. If you sketch out a plan view and post it, a forum contractor ( I'm thinking Brian) would probably help you design a jointing pattern. Just make sure your contractor is willing to chase the joints with a saw within 24 hours of the pour to assure the cracks will follow the weakened joint and not run across or along side of, your tooled joints.

If you sketch out a plan view and post it, a forum contractor ( I'm thinking Brian) would probably help you design a jointing pattern.

Thanks! Here is the current design we are thinking of:

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 9.36.59 PM.jpg

I really like what my neighbor did with the edges, but I am not sure how it would look on the side where I only have a 3 foot walkway.

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 9.40.17 PM.jpg

If I don't do it throughout, it just doesn't make sense. So any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am talking to the concrete contractor tomorrow. I don't think he has ever done a salt finish, but it seems pretty straightforward. I am presuming that with enough experience working with material that it may not be a stretch for him to get it right the first time. Maybe that is wishful thinking.

If you sketch out a plan view and post it, a forum contractor ( I'm thinking Brian) would probably help you design a jointing pattern.

BigEinAZ, I am not sure who Brian is, but hoping you can help me find him to comment on the above design. At this point, I think we will stick with broom finished. I don't have time to find someone that has done salt and my PB's guy never has done it. He recommended rock skin finish, but that is too busy for me. My neighbor has no contact info for who did his salt finished patio. We are also debating a smooth border that is 6 to 12" wide like the picture I posted. Would love some help adding some flare (like the border) to the layout or finish without going down the stamped direction. Stamped just isn't what my wife and I had in mind.

Awesome! Thank you. Is it ok to do the pattern in the edges like my neighbor's above with my 3 foot wide areas? I was thinking that those edges would be smooth and 6 or 12 inches wide.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.