New Oasis on Long Island

So my husband has decided he wanted a real spa versus the spillover spa. I still prefer our first design but happy with the new one too. As we are in NY can now use the spa more year around then just for a few months.

Been reading here for awhile now admiring all the beautiful pools. Wish we lived in a warmer climate to use the pool longer and that everything was not so expensive that's NY. Have read so many helpful things.

We have not even started the pool and $$$ adding up. Had to move our cesspool cause it was where the pool was going. The yard looks like a war zone and pool project not officially starting until Sept. Who would have thought you have to pay to remove your own deck. At least we did not have to pay to have it removed as my husband did it himself. Just pay for a permit to remove it's no wonder why people do work on their properties without dealing with the town. Then when PB contacted town for permit we found out have a issue with our shed. So dealing with that now as well with town. All equal $$$ out of our pocket to the town. Hoping all goes well this week that deck removal and shed will pass inspection so those things are taken care of.

All electric is going to be DYI so save some cash there. My husband informed me I would be helping. I said as long as I don't get shocked. He most likely meant for me to be digging trenches. :gone:

Attachments

• 20170626_100021.jpg
    20170626_100021.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 454
A permit to remove your deck?? Well I never..........Learn something new every day. Each are is SO different.

I like the idea of the spa being a stand alone. You will get more use out of it year round. Make sure to get a good top for it to help hold the heat in.

Kim:kim:

Not sure exactly how they will do the steps. But I know the spa will sit on a 6" sub base of poured concrete. The stone will come right up to the spa, except in the back. That will stay open for access to the pumps and for maintenance. All the pavers are going to have a 4" sub base of concrete.

Jay

good for ur contractor taking the extra time and you spending the extra money sitting those pavers on concrete for our winters! u won't regret it. they will never move!

jim

Yes CRAZY to need a permit to remove a deck!!

Then also had to have demolition of deck inspected can not make it more difficult...

The town just wants $$$$.

A permit to remove your deck?? Well I never..........Learn something new every day. Each are is SO different.

I like the idea of the spa being a stand alone. You will get more use out of it year round. Make sure to get a good top for it to help hold the heat in.

Kim:kim:

So making a little bit of progress before built starts in Sept. The deck demolition has passed inspection. As well as our shed which we held the bag for from when we bought the place two years ago. It was built bigger then when planned so the town wanted us to pay for it. When PB applied for permit the town noticed the shed. So we had to open a permit to build a shed. Which was already built on our property and have it inspected. So the town again just wanted our money. Well at least those things are done and passed inspection we were afraid shed would not pass. That we were going to have to tear it down and build new perhaps.

Our magic bowls have arrived. Someone on the forum just had theirs installed and they look awesome so very excited!

Also decided to have one of our big trees removed to let in more sunlight for the pool. That is a work in progress the tree company started. They were destroying flowers under tree so stopped. We our having our landscaper move them so they can finish. Such a shame we will lose so many trees and flowers when pool is getting built. No place to move everything to. As well as not sure it is worth the cost of paying to move and then move back. May just be better off buying new when pool is complete. At least building pool in one corner of yard but still takes out so many trees, shrubs, flowers, ect.

We moved some trees and landscaping today to prepare for the pool. Here are a couple more before pics. This is the view from werer the back of the pool will be.
11562ddd6d74ff48c78ac5b2c0b92023.jpg
ec8d68944187dae418706d33a60113fe.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
let the fun begin! good luck! what's the plan for this build with winter coming? you guys taking it to gunite only? i didn't catch it.

can't believe you needed a permit to rip out a deck. crazy. such a money grab. i just had a hour conversation with someone about the whole permitting process and need for reform in our area cause it is truly just for money.

good luck!
jim

We are doing polymer walls with a vinyl liner. They are delivering the pool tomorrow and the build is starting on Thursday. But we will c as it's supposed to rain the next 2 days. The original plan was to complete the pavers, steps, and hot tub in the spring, but now we may complete now. Still working the kinks out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.