Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH 7.0-7.2

1. Back To Top    #1

pH 7.0-7.2

OK, so I had a pH of 7.8+. So I added MA yesterday, and may have had a bit of a heavy hand, and my pH went down to almost 7.0. Should I raise the pH chemically, or just allow it to creep up. Right now I am adding 1 cup of MA twice a week. Any thoughts on TA, maybe I should use this chance to bring the TA up a bit?

Thanks!

FC: 3.0
    CC: 0.0
    pH: 7.0
    TA: 75
    CH: 300
    CYA: 70
    NaCl: 3400
    15K Gal Gunite Pool, White Pebble Surface (unkown), Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, SunTouch automation, sta-rite plm100 filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR-15 SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH 7.0-7.2

Aeration will help by turning your jets up for a while if you don't wanna chemically dose. Your salt cell should bring it up pretty quick also.
    7000k Viking fiberglass Bermuda, Sand filter w/glass, Pentair SuperfloVS, Pentair IC20 swg
    Raypak 106k, Dolphin s-200, Taylor k-2006c, Taylor k-1766, Speedstir, Little Giant cover pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

If you added the MA yesterday, the pH is probably up to 7.2 or higher already. In the future, target a slightly higher pH when calculating the dose. If you still overshoot, it might be that your pool isn't as big as you think. Happens a lot. Builders tend to overstate things.

TA is fine where it is. You ought to consider raising the SWG% or the pump run time to get the FC up a bit. You're right at minimum.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Richard, I'm targeting an FC of 4.0, but with all of the clear sunny days we've been having here I should have raised my SWCG%, was 40 now 50%. I am in a Wednesday and Sunday testing routine since my PebbleSheen finish was completed in November. Due to drama at work, I missed my Wednesday test and by the time Sunday came around I had a pH of at least 7.9 (definitely over 7.8). Usually I shoot for a pH of 7.6 where I let it rise to 7.8 and knock it down to 7.4 with MA. I'm hoping that my MA use goes down as the surface cures more completely, but with the SWCG I guess I'll be adding MA weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    If you added the MA yesterday, the pH is probably up to 7.2 or higher already. In the future, target a slightly higher pH when calculating the dose. If you still overshoot, it might be that your pool isn't as big as you think. Happens a lot. Builders tend to overstate things.

TA is fine where it is. You ought to consider raising the SWG% or the pump run time to get the FC up a bit. You're right at minimum.
    15K Gal Gunite Pool, White Pebble Surface (unkown), Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, SunTouch automation, sta-rite plm100 filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR-15 SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm in Florida too. My pool was completed last July and included SWG. My pH rises every test (same schedule as you). I find that I have to add 12oz MA every time.

You might want to adjust your test targets to be more kind towards higher pH without scaling until your pool pH relaxes it's MA needs.

Free Form 13K IG (Quartz) w/Screen Enclosure - 2 Sheer Descents, 1 Bubbler - Hayward 60 SF DE Sta-Rite - Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar - Hayward Aqua Rite AQR9 (T-Cell-9) SWG - Zodiac MX6 - July 2016 - Taylor K-2006 - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test

6. Back To Top    #6

PP,

I would suggest that you don't "knock it down" until it gets above 7.8... 7.8 is in range and I find that my pool will stay at 7.8 for weeks before moving higher. When I try to keep the pH lower than 7.8, it will quickly move back to 7.8.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    PP,

I would suggest that you don't "knock it down" until it gets above 7.8... 7.8 is in range and I find that my pool will stay at 7.8 for weeks before moving higher. When I try to keep the pH lower than 7.8, it will quickly move back to 7.8.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    I wish I had that option, but after being away for 3 weeks I found my pH just continues to climb (pump running at relatively low RPM of 1250 and no aeration features). My pH climbed to 9.0 after three weeks, so it never found a point of settling in. I'm unsure why some people have better luck with stable pH and others, like me and the OP, don't.
    Free Form 13K IG (Quartz) w/Screen Enclosure - 2 Sheer Descents, 1 Bubbler - Hayward 60 SF DE Sta-Rite - Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar - Hayward Aqua Rite AQR9 (T-Cell-9) SWG - Zodiac MX6 - July 2016 - Taylor K-2006 - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test