pH 7.0-7.2

Nov 21, 2016
Melbourne, FL
OK, so I had a pH of 7.8+. So I added MA yesterday, and may have had a bit of a heavy hand, and my pH went down to almost 7.0. Should I raise the pH chemically, or just allow it to creep up. Right now I am adding 1 cup of MA twice a week. Any thoughts on TA, maybe I should use this chance to bring the TA up a bit?

Thanks!

FC: 3.0
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.0
TA: 75
CH: 300
CYA: 70
NaCl: 3400

If you added the MA yesterday, the pH is probably up to 7.2 or higher already. In the future, target a slightly higher pH when calculating the dose. If you still overshoot, it might be that your pool isn't as big as you think. Happens a lot. Builders tend to overstate things.

TA is fine where it is. You ought to consider raising the SWG% or the pump run time to get the FC up a bit. You're right at minimum.

Thanks Richard, I'm targeting an FC of 4.0, but with all of the clear sunny days we've been having here I should have raised my SWCG%, was 40 now 50%. I am in a Wednesday and Sunday testing routine since my PebbleSheen finish was completed in November. Due to drama at work, I missed my Wednesday test and by the time Sunday came around I had a pH of at least 7.9 (definitely over 7.8). Usually I shoot for a pH of 7.6 where I let it rise to 7.8 and knock it down to 7.4 with MA. I'm hoping that my MA use goes down as the surface cures more completely, but with the SWCG I guess I'll be adding MA weekly.

If you added the MA yesterday, the pH is probably up to 7.2 or higher already. In the future, target a slightly higher pH when calculating the dose. If you still overshoot, it might be that your pool isn't as big as you think. Happens a lot. Builders tend to overstate things.

TA is fine where it is. You ought to consider raising the SWG% or the pump run time to get the FC up a bit. You're right at minimum.

I'm in Florida too. My pool was completed last July and included SWG. My pH rises every test (same schedule as you). I find that I have to add 12oz MA every time.

You might want to adjust your test targets to be more kind towards higher pH without scaling until your pool pH relaxes it's MA needs.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

PP,

I would suggest that you don't "knock it down" until it gets above 7.8... 7.8 is in range and I find that my pool will stay at 7.8 for weeks before moving higher. When I try to keep the pH lower than 7.8, it will quickly move back to 7.8.

Thanks,

Jim R.

PP,

I would suggest that you don't "knock it down" until it gets above 7.8... 7.8 is in range and I find that my pool will stay at 7.8 for weeks before moving higher. When I try to keep the pH lower than 7.8, it will quickly move back to 7.8.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I wish I had that option, but after being away for 3 weeks I found my pH just continues to climb (pump running at relatively low RPM of 1250 and no aeration features). My pH climbed to 9.0 after three weeks, so it never found a point of settling in. I'm unsure why some people have better luck with stable pH and others, like me and the OP, don't.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.