Taking over pool care, don't know what I'm doing!

A+ GOLD STAR

With CYA we don't "half" it. It is 100 or 90, etc. If it is between the lines we "call it" at the larger number. When you go to add the CYA put it in a sock (a cute sock for bonus points LOL) and hang it in front of a return. You can squeeze the sock to help it dissolve. Once it has all dissolved and the pump has ran for the day you can test to see where you are at.

Are you running your waterfall at least once a day?

:hug: you are really learning how to take care of this pool! After a while YOU will be helping others!!!!

Kim:kim:

I have not been running the waterfall at least once a day, but we never have done that. I think there is a small leak somewhere in the waterfall so I keep it off unless we're using it OR in case there is a rare freeze coming. Why should I run it once a day?

Also here's a stupid question of the day for you: When I take my water sample, should the pump be running or does it make no difference?

Me helping others is a laughable idea right now. HA HA HA!

I am in contact with a pool guy to come clean my filter this week hopefully. I'm going to make a list of questions for him and I want him to teach me how to properly backwash FOR SURE. :D

If I am reading it correctly (and my CYA hasn't changed since 2/25) then the CYA is a bit low? It should be 70-80 and it is more like 60, or a bit less. If I put a goal of 75 (mid point) for CYA, it says I should add 24 oz of stabilizer. This is the stuff I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PZZF9P6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1, is that the right thing? I know there is some out there, need to see how much I have. Oh, the PoolMath says it will lower my pH. Darn, I just lowered it. LOL.

ETA: My water looks good.

Okay, teacher, tell me how I did on the test!

That stuff will work. It will bring your pH down about 0.3 or so, but it really takes a week to fully dissolve and disperse, so the pH change will only be local and I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't bother testing CYA for a week after adding it. Otherwise you risk adding too much. Especially since you aren't really that low. I would aim for 70 and test in a week. Then you can bring it up a little if you want.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not been running the waterfall at least once a day, but we never have done that. I think there is a small leak somewhere in the waterfall so I keep it off unless we're using it OR in case there is a rare freeze coming. Why should I run it once a day?

Also here's a stupid question of the day for you: When I take my water sample, should the pump be running or does it make no difference?

I am in contact with a pool guy to come clean my filter this week hopefully. I'm going to make a list of questions for him and I want him to teach me how to properly backwash FOR SURE. :D

You should run the pump for an hour before taking samples (30 minutes if you you are in a rush). But you want the water circulated to have a more accurate reading.

That stuff will work. It will bring your pH down about 0.3 or so, but it really takes a week to fully dissolve and disperse, so the pH change will only be local and I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't bother testing CYA for a week after adding it. Otherwise you risk adding too much. Especially since you aren't really that low. I would aim for 70 and test in a week. Then you can bring it up a little if you want.

Thank you! I was reading the bottle for that stuff and it says to backwash and clean the filter and balance the water before adding. Since I am waiting to get my filter cleaned hopefully this week, should I do as they recommend and wait until the filter is cleaned and then check everything before adding CYA?

Just saw your info about when to take samples, THANK YOU! Very good to know!

ETA: Have filter cleaning scheduled for tomorrow morning so I am going to wait on the CYA til that is done.

Run for an hour before testing to thoroughly mix water. Does not have to be running during tests. As for waterfall or other features, you want to periodically "flush" them out with fresh balanced water to prevent nasties developing in closed up plumbing.

Thank you! I was reading the bottle for that stuff and it says to backwash and clean the filter and balance the water before adding. Since I am waiting to get my filter cleaned hopefully this week, should I do as they recommend and wait until the filter is cleaned and then check everything before adding CYA?

Just saw your info about when to take samples, THANK YOU! Very good to know!

ETA: Have filter cleaning scheduled for tomorrow morning so I am going to wait on the CYA til that is done.

Since cleaning your filter requires backwashing (mine is a cartridge, so it doesn't), then it makes sense to wait until after this is done tomorrow. After all, why flush away perfectly good chemicals? Also, since you will most likely be adding water back in to replace the backwash (I don't know how much is used, sorry), it is a good idea to test after any additional water is added back in.

ETA: You might have to add more salt after backwash too... You should aim for about 3000-3200 (3200 is about the normal target range) ppm of salt... Also, how does your pool look? Is it nice and blue? I did notice your TA was a little high for SWG. If you run your waterfall, or jets on the spa (if you have one), it will aerate it and bring the TA down. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Run for an hour before testing to thoroughly mix water. Does not have to be running during tests. As for waterfall or other features, you want to periodically "flush" them out with fresh balanced water to prevent nasties developing in closed up plumbing.

Thank you for that info!

- - - Updated - - -

Since cleaning your filter requires backwashing (mine is a cartridge, so it doesn't), then it makes sense to wait until after this is done tomorrow. After all, why flush away perfectly good chemicals? Also, since you will most likely be adding water back in to replace the backwash (I don't know how much is used, sorry), it is a good idea to test after any additional water is added back in.

ETA: You might have to add more salt after backwash too... You should aim for about 3000-3200 (3200 is about the normal target range) ppm of salt... Also, how does your pool look? Is it nice and blue? I did notice your TA was a little high for SWG. If you run your waterfall, or jets on the spa (if you have one), it will aerate it and bring the TA down. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

If backwashing makes me lose water (see I know nothing) it makes sense to wait and check everything afterwards.

The pool looks pretty good - we have a leaf cover on it which shades it and makes it hard to see very well but when we pulled it mostly off to add salt the other day it looked good. I will be glad when the trees are budded out so I can take the cover off. Will be much easier to do everything.

I will run the waterfall to aerate.

Thank you for the advice!

Mama- You are getting all the right answers here- and YOU are doing a great job!! You will be an expert in no time!!

My sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. :(
Sorry, I missed the part about your husband passing... I just went back and read the rest of the thread. I am very sorry for your loss.

Nini is right, you will be an expert in no time. People make it seem like taking care of a pool is hard, but if your numbers are in balance, then the only thing you have to worry about is equipment and the occasional storm that messes with those numbers (e.g. having to drain the pool a little so it doesn't flood). If you only have to backwash once or twice a season, then that is probably the hardest part. For anything else, this forum has quick answers.

I moved into a house with a pool a few years ago, and even before moving I started looking at how to maintain it. I quickly found this forum and was ready once I moved in. I was away from the house for almost a year, so I hired a pool guy. I came back and the pool was blue, but the numbers were way off. They only seemed to care that it was blue (with a SWG, it is easy to keep it blue). I finished off the month to have them pay for the chemicals to bring the numbers up. They would come for 15 minutes a week and never did get the calcium high enough. If pool companies can come once a week, you can certainly take a relaxed approach (especially with SWG) and do a better job than they do.

You'll do great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry, I missed the part about your husband passing... I just went back and read the rest of the thread. I am very sorry for your loss.

Nini is right, you will be an expert in no time. People make it seem like taking care of a pool is hard, but if your numbers are in balance, then the only thing you have to worry about is equipment and the occasional storm that messes with those numbers (e.g. having to drain the pool a little so it doesn't flood). If you only have to backwash once or twice a season, then that is probably the hardest part. For anything else, this forum has quick answers.

I moved into a house with a pool a few years ago, and even before moving I started looking at how to maintain it. I quickly found this forum and was ready once I moved in. I was away from the house for almost a year, so I hired a pool guy. I came back and the pool was blue, but the numbers were way off. They only seemed to care that it was blue (with a SWG, it is easy to keep it blue). I finished off the month to have them pay for the chemicals to bring the numbers up. They would come for 15 minutes a week and never did get the calcium high enough. If pool companies can come once a week, you can certainly take a relaxed approach (especially with SWG) and do a better job than they do.

You'll do great.

Thanks for your kind words, Mavrk!

We used to take a water sample to the pool store about once a week and they'd sell us chemicals and tell us what to add, etc. In fact, I have a bunch of those chemicals sitting around STILL! I'm going to get a hazardous waste pickup scheduled to get rid of those here in the next month or so. I love that we've been able to buy very few things to put in the pool and keep it nice with TFP. I don't want to go back to the other way, and I don't want to pay a service, either.

I do have a pool service coming this morning to clean the filter. I am looking forward to getting that done so I can get back to messing with the water! Hopefully I'll be comfortable with this guy because at some point I'll need help with equipment problems and that will be a job I likely have to hire out.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Mama, You can take a picture of the pool stuff you still have and we will be able to tell you if it will be needed down the road. If it is not something you can use THEN you can send to the waste people.

Good luck with the fella today! Hope you click with him!

Can you take and post the pictures from the pool guy cleaning your filter? I have to do mine soon...

I'm sorry, he is already done! When he got started I decided I don't want to do it myself just yet so I didn't take pics or notes.

He seems like an honest guy (how do we know just yet, right?). But he was willing to teach me how to clean it myself. It had one bad grid so he replaced that.

I also asked him how I would know if the salt cell was bad - and as we were talking it started throwing error codes, LOL. 125 and 194. He also looked at the cell and said the diode looked corroded. So he thinks this is our original cell and it's dead - I thought we had replaced it at some point but can't remember. Anyway, he is going to get me a price for just the cell and the cord, since our sensor is only a year old (thank you Amazon order history). He did say I could switch to just chlorine if I don't want to spend the money on the cell. So he wasn't pressuring me on that, which is nice.

Mama, You can take a picture of the pool stuff you still have and we will be able to tell you if it will be needed down the road. If it is not something you can use THEN you can send to the waste people.

Good luck with the fella today! Hope you click with him!

Agreed. I wouldn't throw those away. While using things like baking soda instead of Total Alkalinity increaser will be less expensive, they are chemically the same. So there is no problem using the things that you already purchased. The technique here will save you money because you will not purchase unnecessary things, but if you already have them, then that is even cheaper :) Plus, you still need muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid), stabilizer (CYA), calcium hardness increaser (or deicer), as well as some chlorine or bleach for SLAMing should the need arise (the pool store chlorine is a better deal than bleach for me). Now, things like algaecide, clarifiers, and shock treatments might be useless like you said.

So post a list (or pictures) of what you have and we will help you weed through them.

I'm sorry, he is already done! When he got started I decided I don't want to do it myself just yet so I didn't take pics or notes.

He seems like an honest guy (how do we know just yet, right?). But he was willing to teach me how to clean it myself. It had one bad grid so he replaced that.

I also asked him how I would know if the salt cell was bad - and as we were talking it started throwing error codes, LOL. 125 and 194. He also looked at the cell and said the diode looked corroded. So he thinks this is our original cell and it's dead - I thought we had replaced it at some point but can't remember. Anyway, he is going to get me a price for just the cell and the cord, since our sensor is only a year old (thank you Amazon order history). He did say I could switch to just chlorine if I don't want to spend the money on the cell. So he wasn't pressuring me on that, which is nice.
The cell might just need cleaning. If you are producing chlorine, then it is probably working.

The cell might just need cleaning. If you are producing chlorine, then it is probably working.

I'm not sure yet if it's producing chlorine, but it is not urgent to replace anything just yet. How hard is cleaning the cell for someone who doesn't want to clean the filter (as a point of reference)?

To my knowledge, it's easy. Put it in a bucket of 1:3 muratic acid to water, let it soak an hour or more and rinse.

That sounds easy enough!

For the chemicals, it turns out there are only 3 different things, just a bunch of duplicates. Our neighbor gave us a bunch of this when he hired a pool service.

3146wee.jpg

2zxqarn.jpg

dq13qr.jpg

The inhibit can be used for winerizing your pool, the scale inhibitor is probably not needed (but I don't know the stuff). pH plus is not going to be needed with a SWG (no way you will need to raise the pH instead of lower it). It is just washing soda anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.