A Whole Series of Problems (and a bunch of questions)

MasterTinkerer

Gold Supporter
Nov 28, 2016
Helena, AL
I'll highlight each question as blue text if you don't want to read all of this... thanks in advance for the help!

Background

Purchased a home at the end of August 2016. Now I'm the proud owner of a pool and hot tub... first time I've had to maintain either. It has been fun learning - but frustrating as well. The previous owner had a pool guy that came over weekly - cleaned the pool and added chemicals. I allowed the pool guy to do his thing in Aug and Sept then fired him. I found this website, and decided that I could handle it, save some money, and probably have better water conditions.

Location is Central Alabama

Equipment
Pool:
  • 30k gallon IG pool - vinyl liner w/ steps
  • Sand Filter - Sta-Rite model T-240BP-1
  • Pump - marathon electric - C1245 (1 HP)
  • Pentair Rainbow - model 320 chlorinator
  • Polaris model 360
  • TF100 tesk kit and speed stir

Current Test Results
Temp = 52o

1. [*=1]how does temperature affect the test results?

[*=1]are any of the test results or recommended levels temp dependent?
Chlorine = 0 !
PH = 7.5
CH = 150-175
TA = 100
CYA = 100

Current Problems
I'll spare the issues with the spa - I already posted a question in another spot here (Older Spa Maintenance).

I waffled back and forth about winterizing or not and ended up deciding not to. I've questioned several other pool owners in the area and get a variety of answers... doesn't seem to be a good answer for this location. So I decided to keep it opened. Thought it would give me time to learn more about testing and chemicals during the non-swim season. I figured I would make sure that the pump was running any time we got close to freezing temps.

Well - the pool started leaking around the beginning of November. I drained the filter and lines before we left for Thanksgiving vacation because it was going to get under freezing here.

The CYA of the spa is too high... the pool guy used a lot of triclor tabs (and the chlorinator was always used). I realized it with my first test (was ~120 then). Needless to say, I have put no more tablets into the chlorinator.
Is there something else that I should do with the clorinator - or just shut it off?

Since the pool calculator told me to replace 67% of my water, I thought that I would just let it leak. I figured that it was coming from around the light seal since it just started when the water got cold (and we are no longer using it). My logic was that I would have an easy time finding and fixing the leak once the water level stopped dropping. The pool has bubblers at the steps that have plugs in them... the pool guy said that they started leaking last year so they just plugged them. The water had just gotten down to them... the light is about a foot or more lower on the opposite end.
Should I continue to do this or is there a better way to find the leak?

So, the leak monitoring has been ongoing and going fine. Last night and today we got a heavy rain (2+ inches). I looked out of the window this afternoon at the pool and it looks to be slightly greenish. That's got me a little worried. I don't want to end up with a swamp by the end of the winter. This is the first time I've noticed it, so it could just be that the rain stirred up the pool a bit more. I've been scooping out leaves all fall thus far.

The previous owners left a box behind that is from Leslie's... All in 1 Winterizing kit. Inside of the kit is a bottle of algae clear and bags of Chlor Brite. Based on my Google searching today, I found that the Chlor Brite is commonly called Dichlor... and the Algae Control is commonly called Poly-Quat or POD

Shew - long enough explanation for you? That brings me to a bunch of questions...

1. [*=1]I don't think that I should use the Dichlor as it will just make the CYA go higher... correct?

[*=1]Should I add the Poly-Quat?

[*=1]Should I just go get the recommended amount of bleach from Costco and shock it?

• [*=1]The PoolMath calculator says the recommended shock level is 39... I would need 1732 oz of 8.25% bleach (that's a lot!)

[*=1]The pump is drained, so I have no way to get a thorough mix of chemicals if I add them... is this OK?

[*=1]If no, the water level is below the skimmer... my pump has two suction side butterfly valves on it. I am assuming one is for the skimmer and the other is for the water inlet at the bottom of the deep end. Should I close the one for the skimmer and run the pump with only the bottom one open?

hi bakrbj
Thats a lot of questions, I will help as much as I can.

As for temperature - temperature does affect the CYA test. For testing CYA, bring a jar of water in the house and let it sit for a while and warm up to room temp. THen test CYA. Everything else, go ahead and test with water temp as is.

The leak - there are leak detection companies that can find it, but they can be pricey. Since you need to lower CYA anyhow, just let it leak until the water stops dropping. At least then it wont cost you any money to find it.

Dont add any Dichlor. You're right it wil raise your CYA.

Poly Quat is good stuff. Its a copper free algaecide and helps prevent algae from getting a foot hold. But it wont kill it if its already started. So, save that for now.

Green Water - If the water is greenish, you likely have algae. But since your waterline is below the skimmer, you might not be able do a proper slam and filter out the dead algae.
If indeed one of your valves is for the skimmer and other for the main drain, you might be able to circulate/ filter water that way, but it wouldnt surprise me if it doesnt work very well. The valve are not always 100% tight and the closed one might suck air and prevent the pump from priming. You'll just have to try and see.

If your water wont circulate using the pump, you could put some bleach in the pool and stir it around really well with a broom. Its a bit of a pain, but it may be your only option for now until you get the leak fixed, water back in the pool and CYA adjusted. with the water as cold as it is, it wont take long to kill of the algae if you get on it now.

Chlorinator - Yikes! Take out the pucks. Its one of the main sources of your CYA problem.

HI! I was in your area a couple of years ago. LOVED it! Great hiking there!

Dave covered all of your questions. I will add you can use a sub. pump like can be found at Harbor Freight to move the water around. It will take a little playing around with the hose to see what works best to move the water all around the pool. You will also need brush your pool to get all of the yuckies off the side and bottom of the pool.

Kim:kim:

The temperature effect on CYA is strictly related to the CYA test and is an effect on how the reagent reacts with the CYA. The test is calibrated for 70-80 degrees.

If you want to dig deep, this thread has lots of discussion: At what water temp is CYA test reliable?

In winter, I fill the little mixing bottle, put it in my pocket, and then do that test last.

Update: got the pump working with the skimmer return in bypass. The butterfly valve worked, but I added an expandable plug in the return hole at the bottom of the skimmer too for good measure.

Added 15 jugs (121oz) of 8.25% bleach ($2.99/jug at HomeDepot) on Saturday.

Tested Sunday night and FC is at 40 while CC was 0.5.

Pool is still leaking. I suspect it is the seal around the light, but am waiting for stability on level to determine.

Next question - given my current situation, how often and for how long should I be running my pump - especially with the escalated chlorine level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run my pump now just like I do in the summer. I use it more to get the stuff that falls into the pool to the skimmer. Your water does need to mix but with as cold as it is your water is kind of dormant right now. Keep an eye on the water temp. When it starts getting close to 60 then you really start watching it close to keep the green algae monsters away!

Kim:kim:

Welcome to TFP! These people are great! I too bought a house in August of 2016 making me a first time pool owner. With the help I got here I was able to take my pool back from the pool company, and am now comfortable with the majority of the processes involved with owing a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.