New Build in NE FL

Inspector came for the footer work. Everything is good to go. Should be shooting concrete for footer and equipment pad on Monday. We also had equipment delivered. PB partner had suggested going with a 330k StaRite heater when we signed the contract which was a few hundred more and we agreed. Well delivered is a 400 btu Hayward heater. We figured they changed it to Hayward for ease with automation.

Noticed they ran a copper wire from rebar in pool shell to rebar in footer. I think I read about doing that as some sort of lightning protection?? Def need it here in the lightning capitol of the world esp after our recent tree event. Can someone explain that more?

Still waiting on a call from Lightstream guy. So far he has been great and I haven't had to deal with issues that I read about with communication. However 2 phone calls and an email later, still nothing from him so I am annoyed esp bc he said he would give me a heads up before shipping so my PB could schedule tile guys. Per the 2 week delay, they should ship today but haven't heard. Ugh.. Was hoping he was better than previous reviews bc he had been doing so well...

Here is a pic of the copper wire. It is kind of hard to see but runs from lower right in footer ditch up towards pool rebar near upper left of picture
17621996_10211147042299117_1410967908786010899_o.jpg

I would do a search for the two heaters and see what the price difference is. I would also ask them why they did it. I would hate for them to show to hook everything up and "Oh this is the wrong heater" and not be able to do it!

Kim:kim:

I spoke to them yesterday. It's simply because of automation and wanting to keep it all the same. They previously installed pentair led bubblers bit have ordered haywarda to now go in and replace the pentair ones that have already been put In. Chevy vs ford. Hayward must be ford Hahaha I'll take the 400,000 btus over the 250 or 300 all day long. My spa will be toasty

So I was a tad perturbed as I had sent 2 emails and a voice mail to Lightstream rep and hadn't heard back so called again today and if he wasnt in, I was going to speak to the manager. Thankfully rep was in.

Discussed with him my issue with the size difference in the tiles and needing 10 pieces (this gives us a tiny bit of wiggle room since I am using my 10% extra to help this issue) and also check on ship date. Glass is coming in hopefully today so should have it shipped out late next week...he hopes. However, due to the time and communication delay, we will have 2.5 sq ft (10 tiles) added to the order at no charge. So at least it looks like we have that cleared up. I just hope it looks ok to have the waterline tiles change for that section instead of being the same pattern all around.

I am so beyond livid I can barely type. We just got an email saying that the glass was delivered except the only one magically missing is the material to make the steel blue tile. Oh but wait! He magically has 1.5" x 1.5" tiles in the warehouse and even has enough to give me my free 2.5 sq feet!

I emailed him back and let him know how disappointed I am in this entire process esp bc he never said that there was going to be a delay so long that we couldn't get what we ordered. Our entire project has been on hold for over 3 weeks waiting on this tile. The entire project centered around this tile. I do not like the smaller squares as they get so small there isnt much surface area of the tile to see what you paid for. And then larger pieces, like the 3x3, you don't get as much bling as you would with the 2x2. I told him I absolutely need the 1.5x1.5 in my hand before agreeing to change my entire order to these tiles and due to all of the issues I want the sample sent 1 or 2 day shipment so I can have it asap as a decision needs to be made soon. I also asked why he can't take the 1.5" tiles and melt them down or whatever is done and make them 2" tiles. And why does he not have a date for shipment ONLY for steel blue?? Trying so hard to watch my tongue right now. And unfortunately, after seeing these glass tiles, every other glass tile I have seen since looks like cheap plastic compared to the Lightstream. Many adults words!!!!

I'm sorry to hear. Unfortunately this isn't the first time we've heard this. Someone has a real shot at making a lot of money for a competitive product with better customer support and delivery timelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah I read some stories on here about issues but also found reviews elsewhere online that were good. I decided to risk it bc I wanted it that badly.

He emailed back and kept apologizing and said UPS had already picked up but the sample of the 1.5 tile will go out Monday and he is sending it overnight as I requested. I do know, however, if we decide to go with this tile, I need more than just 2.5 sq ft at no cost. A discount most def needs to be applied because this is ridiculous.

I agree Grumpie about someone else needing to develop equal quality glass and offer some competition to them bc they have the consumer cornered bc if you want this quality item you are stuck dealing with their messed up way of doing things Ugh. So we shall see what happens Tues. Going to the Dr on Tues am for back injections so hoping my day dramatically improves with the tile arriving and it being as lovely as the 2x2.

They have the luxury glass tile market cornered and now the little people from Florida are screwed. We have built so much design around that specific tile! And now we are stuck not being able to change because we have had all of our ceramic tile delivered that will accompany the steel blue glass! So Whether they know it or not they have us against a wall. So now what do we do......deal with the 1.5s and hope we like them.

Sounds to me like it's made overseas or cross the border. Commonly companies with delays like that aren't making them state side. My old man used to import and these kinds of issues read right out of his playbook. Having inherited/bought him out I now manufacture it all in house and never have any such issues. Doubtful anyone will match his price point and give any better customer service as they will be dealing with the same constraints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they use only American made raw materials and make it in the United States in California. If you ever get a sample and just feel and look at it and then look at glass tile from other companies that state their glass is made in China or over seas, you can absolutely tell the difference. It is unmistakable. Even higher end, china made glass tile feels and looks like cheap plastic compared to the Lightstream tiles. That is what makes this so frustrating bc now that I have the samples and have been looking at tile since Dec, none of them compare to the LS. And they know it, unfortunately. I know if I had never gotten the LS in and then looked at tile from other companies that I would have been happy with those other ones but not now. Oh, and I also looked it up and Lightstream owns the patent on how they make their glass so explains why no one else can match it. Anyway, I am trying to remain positive and hope that I will love this sample as much as I love the one I currently have.

That is what makes this so frustrating bc now that I have the samples and have been looking at tile since Dec, none of them compare to the LS. And they know it, unfortunately. I know if I had never gotten the LS in and then looked at tile from other companies that I would have been happy with those other ones but not now.

If it is just an issue of durability, you can get tiles as good as Lightstreams from NPT. That's NPT's forte. They test the tiles they carry under free/thaw conditions and under impact for breakability and have a higher standard for what they consider acceptable.

Are they just as stylish as Lightstreams? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But from what I've seen anything that NPT carries that is over $25 (retail) is just as layered with multiple effects as Lightstreams tile. NPT has a slightly expanded range of styles and colors than Lightstreams, but still the choices are limited to more blues than greens or other colors.

The most expensive pool tile NPT carries in the $40 to $50 range is made by Oceanside Glass Tile (San Diego). Through its own showrooms, Oceanside sells glass tile in custom blends of a full array of colors and unique patterns. That makes them a favorite of high-end designers. If you want something original that no one else will have, you can get almost any color and pattern.

Oceanside is pretty much the American version of Bisazza. Bisazza is an Italian manufacturer of glass tile in the over $40 range. Bisazza pioneered many of the style trends in glass tile, including iridescence and mosaics.

In general, as we have discovered, the more layered the glass is, the more its effects are due to the layers and not painting the back, the more random the pattern is per square foot, the more unique the shape of the tile is, and the thicker it is, the more expensive it is going to be. However, the only one of those things that indicates its durability is thickness.

Sample just arrived. Thankfully, it actually looks really good and allows for more bling since they are smaller tiles. Also they aren't so small that you lose the detail in them. So we are about to email Lightstream rep to confirm the change to this size. We want expedited shipping due to all of the delays and are going to request that at no charge due to all of the issues.

We just received almost 3 inches of rain since 4am. More later today and tomorrow and maybe Thursday as well. Not sure when they will do the footer now. We also are having our perimeter and cross fence replaced (wood 3 board as we have horses) and that was just delivered today but work is being delayed due to flooding. Hoping that by the end of the week we will have a burst of activity by having the fence done and then prepping for tile and installation soon.

Here is the tile inside. Due to the storms, can't get a photo of it in the sun today. Hubby and I are very happy with this and find it an acceptable substitute so I am very relieved.

17800210_10211190243899130_198555595887415791_n.jpg

17799951_10211190244059134_7168146049530058095_n.jpg

I'm so sorry for all your troubles with LS. I had similar issues with delays, no communication, etc. I also wanted them to expedite my shipping due to all the false promises and delays I received. They said sure, they would expedite it, but at my cost not theirs. No amount of arguing or being firm budged them. In the end, I waited on regular shipping because I wasn't about to spend an additional $500 on shipping. Many of my tiles came with chipped corners. I no longer had time to do anything about it, so I have a bunch of damaged sheets left. I was just thankful that I ordered more than the 10% overage. I hope you are more successful in your shipping request than I was and that your tiles are perfect! It really is beautiful stuff!

I'm so sorry about the delays with LS. I was lucky with my order. I would rather a place tell me longer than they expect for the delivery - then be surprised and pleased that the order came 'so quickly'! Wink wink!

Your tile is beautiful! I love the Steel Blue! We struggled between that and the Peacock. IMO, the Steel Blue is the more elegant. I'm glad the size works for you!

Suz

Nini, thanks. Just went through your build and was reading about your issues. I had read about these issues with LS and even though they told me 4 weeks, I was not surprised when they told me it would be delayed 2 weeks. What I was shocked at was when he tells me we cannot get what we ordered bc only the steel blue raw materials didn't come in and won't for many many weeks so we need to change what we want. He did expedite the sample and all samples were at no cost. And I am getting 2.5 sq ft added at no extra cost too bc the size difference in the tiles. He just replied that he would check with his boss about the shipping. I am not holding my breath about it though honestly. But if nothing is done to show they care about their customers like a discount or upgraded shipping, once the tile is received, I will be letting them know that due to their lack of customer service, that there are over 5 people online that are warning all new pool customers to avoid their product like the plaque and that the best and worst advertisement is word of mouth esp thanks to the internet and social media. They would be wise to make good on keeping their customers happy and feeling like they care about them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.