South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

A little night shot from tonight. Landscaping still in progress, but we are CLOSE! We can't find a dang matching bottle palm in the state of Florida tho to go opposite the one we have.

8cde53ab96bdb772d064aee4d8fdc31b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW! That is so relaxing looking! Nice job! LOL on not finding just that ONE last item you need to finish up! It is always like that it seems. Of course when you stop looking and get something else you will find THAT ONE! LOL

Kim:kim:

South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

All, looking for some opinions. We are marching towards replastering next week. The owner of the plaster company called and proposed an alternate solution. He is saying we could drain the pool, remove the marker tile grout, and fill the tile voids with matching plaster. This would keep the finish as is (we can probably live with it), keep an extra $600 in our pocket, and also avoid a full re-startup and 30 days of brushing and no swimming. My wife and kids would certainly appreciate the latter. Clearly it would also save the PB the cost of a full refinish. He said if we weren't happy with it when done, we could proceed with the full retile/replaster.

I have a couple of questions for the TFP family:
- is this approach acceptable?
- should I expect this approach to hold up long term?
- do you think the plaster will be noticeably different on the tile than everywhere else? Our original plaster is about 60 days old.

Lastly, we've noticed some blotchiness and white spots appearing on our finish. This is likely due to the chemistry being out of whack the last two weeks with an anticipated refinish that keeps getting pushed back. A pic is below. Is this addressable/reversible at this point or is this potentially long term damage that would suggest a refinish as the better approach? Could they potentially do an acid wash while empty to clear this up?

Any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated!

cb0f6924508acd613a9dd59242a2a27a.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, Matt. I'll read some. These just showed up recently. The finish was actually very consistent up to about a week or two ago. The only things that changed are 1) I stopped brushing every day after day 30, 2) our pool has been a lot dirtier with landscaping going on around the pool, and 3) our chemistry has been overlooked the last two weeks (low chlorine and > 8 ph) as the refinish job keeps getting rescheduled.

Curious your and Brian's thoughts on the proposed tile fix?

I think acid washing is a perfectly acceptable method for ruining a new plaster job ;)

I think if they a really careful that might get the re-grouting to work right. I give them a 0.5% chance of successfully fixing it with no obvious sign of the area getting replastered.

Pessimism is my forte :D

Noticed a little bit of white flaking appearing in the pool last weekend. Dissolves to the touch. From what I've read here this sounds like some calcium flaking? Potentially from high pH and CH the last few weeks? Will this be addressed as the chemistry gets in line? Any cause for concern while I've still got the PB on the hook
?
c12f730052e7a582cb5335e424343dee.jpg

Here's a good shot of the spa tile. It's been near impossible to show what it looks like in person in a photo, but this is pretty close. I came home to the perfect sunlight yesterday:

423128ed4f1170efaeb6c3f23e7f2439.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.