Test kit battle!

Phhhhtttt.....

Complete K-2006C, separate vials and stirring magnet for each test, graduated cylinder, 50 ml vial and complete dropper test for borates, complete phosphates test, laminated cheat sheets, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer, Unit-dose tool, and it all fits and sits upright!

JPEG-0745.jpg

today my pool guy's OTO test said my FC level was 1.5, but my R-0870 DPD test said 4.0. his FC have always been lower than my readings. this is why i don't recommend OTO to anyone.

if one wants to just get a general idea of what the FC level is, why not use a dipstick test and get the same general idea in 2 seconds?

i like my Taylor K-2006C kit and recommend it to anyone who asks. Taylor's kit box is also well organized to help perform the tests quickly.

Last edited:
I just don't get how the OTO test gives useful information, in those cases
Remember the OTO tests for the PRESENCE of chlorine....it should not be used for a precise measure.
if one wants to just get a general idea of what the FC level is, why not use a dipstick test and get the same general idea in 2 seconds?
test strips have proven over and over to be potentially unreliable. On the other hand, OTO is one of the most reliable tests that we use. It is VERY repeatable as well. Besides, what if a TFP'r saw you using a test strip and reported you to the TFP police? :cop::cop: The humiliation alone makes it not worth the risk.

You people are all nuts. I love it. Thanks to you all for the valuable input.
I maintained eye contact with my wife throughout the entire process of emptying the liquid bleach yesterday, it was glorious. SpeedStir is already on my birthday wish list, lol.

This is where the OTO kit can be a life saver, not in telling exactly how much chlorine you have, but telling if it is little/none or a whole lot. (pale yellow, vs schoobus yellow, or safety orange)

Still trying to understand where exact FC numbers on a daily basis becomes that critical in a SWG set up if oto shows you are in a safe color zone (per Issac, not pale yellow or that scary looking safety orange color). If one has a predisposition to know things with that degree of precision, I can and do appreciate that whole heartedly. But I sorta view FC levels that are within that oto safe color zone to be all one needs to know to stay out of trouble.

Granted, I could be at 7, 8 9, or even 10 and not know it, but with a SWG, I dial back until OTO starts to lighten up a little below the 5.0 reading and I'm set. A 30 second oto test seems more than sufficient for a daily testing unless I'm missing something (being well within the realm of possibility).

Jaimslaw. you're not missing much really - personal preference. If you are comfortable with knowing the "presence" of chlorine, and the shades of the OTO give you reasonable assurance of where you stand at a given time (i.e. FC of 6-9), then that's good. That's the case for both SWG and non-SWG pools really. A big factor in that rationale also is the difference between pools that are reasonably steady in their FC consumption (consistent drop) , versus those owners who are either still learning how to balance their water, or their pool FC fluctuates a bit more at that present time. Still, there are those (me for example) who simply don't mind taking an extra minute or two to dump the powder and count a few drops to know for sure their precise FC number. Experience, comfortability, water consistency, available time, etc all come into play.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still trying to understand where exact FC numbers on a daily basis becomes that critical in a SWG set up if oto shows you are in a safe color zone (per Issac, not pale yellow or that scary looking safety orange color). If one has a predisposition to know things with that degree of precision, I can and do appreciate that whole heartedly. But I sorta view FC levels that are within that oto safe color zone to be all one needs to know to stay out of trouble.

To my mind, knowing that you just have chlorine in the pool serves little purpose. Knowing that you have "X" amount of free chlorine and "Y" amount of combined chlorine describes the health of your pool.

OTO tells you a generally meaningless thing like, "You have a security system." FAS/DPD tells you whether that security system is indeed armed and whether or not the area is secured of intruders. Don't assume that just because you "have chlorine in the pool" that you aren't an imminent victim of a nascent algae bloom. Sanitizer does NOT equal sanitary.

Basically, CC alerts you to what your chlorine is DOING. Without that key piece of information......

Drag that "dead horse" out of the barn once more.....I need to beat him.

1. We always understand that each pool owner can use our teachings and the experience of others in any way that suits them best

2. Over the years, this forum has documented hundreds if not thousands of errors testing with strips.

3. I have a dog in the fight, but we could have easily included strips in the TF-100, skipped the OTO and sold the kit cheaper.

4. TFP pool owners gravitate towards precision, dependability, dependability and dependability. Test strips just don't make the grade.

5. What we teach is not based on preference but rather solid science and thousands and thousands of anecdotal experiences.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.