FC level!!

Yorker

Silver Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cathedral City, CA
Question: how much liquid chlorine should I get in the pool asap?

Recent history.
I did a 90% refill last night and early this morning. Before I left this morning I asked Pool Math how much liquid chlorine I should add with 0% FC. It said something like 38oz. I thought that was way too low so I added 64oz (HD pool chlorine), put the pump on high. I just returned from my doctor appointments and see that it is still at 0%. Since our weather is in the 90's this week, I'm kinda freaking out.

I've been replacing my TF-100 reagents from Amazon as I run low, checking expiration dates, or so I thought. Bottom line, when I complete this post I will go directly and purchase a fresh TF-100 kit.

Note: I have already started with 3 lbs of stabilizer (in a sock) in the skimmer and set pump to run all day. And I have just one 40lb bag of salt - clearly I was not prepared for this refill. I will be off to HD for more salt and stabilizer.

HELP,
— york

At your pool volume you’ve added approximately 40 ppm CYA. Target a FC addition of 5-7 ppm daily. If you’re using 10% chlorine that’s 60 oz, 12.5% would be 40 oz for 5 ppm….You can increase the dose to 84 oz or 68 oz respectively to target a 7 ppm FC addition.

For 9700 gals - the 3 lbs of dry stabilizer should raise CYA to 40ppm. The 64 oz of 10% LC would add 5ppm of FC. However since there was basically zero CYA when the LC was added, it could decline fairly quickly if it was a sunny morning.
what was the reason for the 90% drain and fill?

It is best to add the LC, let it mix for no longer than 30 mins and test again. That is a better indicator of how much your FC was raised with whatever amount of LC was added.
You require to target 5-7 ppm of FC so as the CYA is being added, continue to test and top up to the target range.

Last edited:
For 9700 gals - the 3 lbs of dry stabilizer should raise CYA to 400ppm. The 64 oz of 10% LC would add 5ppm of FC. However since there was basically zero CYA when the LC was added, it could decline fairly quickly if it was a sunny morning.
what was the reason for the 90% drain and fill?

It is best to add the LC, let it mix for no longer than 30 mins and test again. That is a better indicator of how much your FC was raised with whatever amount of LC was added.
You require to target 5-7 ppm of FC so as the CYA is being added, continue to test and top up to the target range.
I believe this is a typo on the CYA addition. It should be 40 ppm not 400.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thanks "Lake & Herman",

I intend to get the CYA up to 70ppm, and the FC to 5-7.0 once I get reliable reagents. Herman, your comment reminded me on how quickly the FC can drop in this hot sunny weather with zero CYA. For now I've added 64oz of liquid chlorine and will retest the FC in 30 min and in the morning. I will focus on keeping the FC up as I get the CYA up to my 70ppm target.

Tomorrow I will add salt, keeping in mind to keep it low in the testing and pay more attention as to what salt cell says is good.

OH, Herman, you asked as to WHY the 90% drain/fill. For me it was a race to complete this in the cooler houres of the day, when I woke up this morning at 3am, I discovered a issue with our sump pump. Since we have deep ends at both ends of our pool, I chose to just keep the old water there and start the refill so the pool/plaster would not be full when the outside temp neared 90° my noon. I'm estimating that was 10% of our pool volume, in actuality it was probably less. From what I've read here on TFP, I've always been concerned an empty pool in our hot weather. I sincerely hope the I've learned my lesson to preform this in the cooler months.

Again thank you both for you input!
— York

Thanks "Lake & Herman",

I intend to get the CYA up to 70ppm, and the FC to 5-7.0 once I get reliable reagents. Herman, your comment reminded me on how quickly the FC can drop in this hot sunny weather with zero CYA. For now I've added 64oz of liquid chlorine and will retest the FC in 30 min and in the morning. I will focus on keeping the FC up as I get the CYA up to my 70ppm target.

Tomorrow I will add salt, keeping in mind to keep it low in the testing and pay more attention as to what salt cell says is good.

OH, Herman, you asked as to WHY the 90% drain/fill. For me it was a race to complete this in the cooler houres of the day, when I woke up this morning at 3am, I discovered a issue with our sump pump. Since we have deep ends at both ends of our pool, I chose to just keep the old water there and start the refill so the pool/plaster would not be full when the outside temp neared 90° my noon. I'm estimating that was 10% of our pool volume, in actuality it was probably less. From what I've read here on TFP, I've always been concerned an empty pool in our hot weather. I sincerely hope the I've learned my lesson to preform this in the cooler months.

Again thank you both for you input!
— York
Good plan. Keep us posted if any issues. Thanks for update.
I don’t think I have seen a residental pool with 2 deep ends. Can you post a picture?

Reactions: Newdude
Morning all, this morning's chemistry update:
FC remained at 2.5 from last night - I’m adding 48oz this morning to get it to 6.0 FC, and will check it again later in the day.

The 4 lbs of stabilizer I put in the skimmer yesterday has not fully dissolved yet (I need to get out and squeeze that sock in the skimmer more often). The CYA has risen to 30.

Herman, to answer your question regarding two deep ends I’m attaching a photo and the plans I made to give to our builder. However a short explanation may be helpful to explain my thoughts behind my design.

Being new to living in the desert my local friends explained that their shallow pools get so hot in the summer that it's uncomfortable to enjoy. I thought that getting as much “deeper" water as possible would help. In reality there has been very few days that 90°+ water has been uncomfortable. I know people say it’s like getting into a warm bath, however when getting out into 105 - 120° weather makes the 90° feel refreshing. I did quickly learn to my 90 laps competed in the morning :).

Pool - IMG_2705.jpgPLANS 17c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
Morning all, this morning's chemistry update:
FC remained at 2.5 from last night - I’m adding 48oz this morning to get it to 6.0 FC, and will check it again later in the day.

The 4 lbs of stabilizer I put in the skimmer yesterday has not fully dissolved yet (I need to get out and squeeze that sock in the skimmer more often). The CYA has risen to 30.

Herman, to answer your question regarding two deep ends I’m attaching a photo and the plans I made to give to our builder. However a short explanation may be helpful to explain my thoughts behind my design.

Being new to living in the desert my local friends explained that their shallow pools get so hot in the summer that it's uncomfortable to enjoy. I thought that getting as much “deeper" water as possible would help. In reality there has been very few days that 90°+ water has been uncomfortable. I know people say it’s like getting into a warm bath, however when getting out into 105 - 120° weather makes the 90° feel refreshing. I did quickly learn to my 90 laps competed in the morning :).
Thanks. I like it. your steps also act as a sunshelf. Good use of usable space.