Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Guys I’m going insane.
We opened our pool a week ago. It looks fantastic but I did my first testing and I’m confused. I have the Taylor K-2006 salt test kit. I used a 25 ml sample, 2 scoops of R-0870 and sample turns pink (I would say medium pink, not super dark magenta or anything). I start adding R-0871 and it’s getting DARKER pink. I’ve done it 3 times so far and this is my 3rd year testing our pool so I feel pretty comfortable with testing. What gives?! My reagents are from last season and not expired.

Why are you using a 25ml sample for FC? The test calls out for a 10ml sample.
Also I would guess either the R-870 or R-871 is not good.
What is the expectation for FC level? Since you have a SWCG - what is the expected FC output over a 24 hr period? Have you added additional chlorine through use of pucks or liquid chlorine?

Does it continue to get darker or does it eventually start to clear? What's the temperature of the water? I notice my color takes a few seconds to get to the darkest pink when the water is cold, even when using the speedstir.

Why are you using a 25ml sample for FC? The test calls out for a 10ml sample.
Also I would guess either the R-870 or R-871 is not good.
What is the expectation for FC level? Since you have a SWCG - what is the expected FC output over a 24 hr period? Have you added additional chlorine through use of pucks or liquid chlorine?
I’ve just always used 25ml, I guess I could try the 10ml and see if it work.
I have not added any additional chlorine or pucks since opening. Cell is set at 20% output but water is cold (70F) and we aren’t using it yet since we don’t have a heater

Does it continue to get darker or does it eventually start to clear? What's the temperature of the water? I notice my color takes a few seconds to get to the darkest pink when the water is cold, even when using the speedstir.
Maybe I need to let us sit longer before trying to add reagent. Water is cold (70F). I’ll try a smaller sample too and see if that works.