Georgia Pool Build.... FIRED PB need advice please!!!

Re: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :)

Love the beach idea - throw in a few palm trees and I'll never need to leave my house! :D

We really got lucky with the dumping of the "dirt sand", too. My HOA approved for us to dump it in our neighborhood since they are still building houses and could use the dirt for grading yards. I might have to upgrade my tiles to celebrate that now.

So, excavation is done and we were concerned that the pool looked a little shallow. If the pool is to be 3'9"-7' deep is that was the depth of the hole should be now or when the pool is completed?? The depth doesn't seem quite that deep right now based on my measurements.

The builder just responded to our concerns - he explained that the excavation is done, but the grading isn't. He assured me the pool would be deeper. (currently 3'3"-6'3")

Ledge chairs ordered. We plan to use them without the legs.

chairs.jpg

Makes sense. You have to factor in the grading that will be done when the rebar guys do their work as well as the fact that the bond beam of the pool is higher than the edge of the soil, I think by as much as 6".

Also remember that it is the tiling and coping masons that set the level of the pool. The bond beam is the surface that they will work on but it's up to them to place tile and mortar in the coping so that everything is level and set to the correct height. Your water line will be approximately the midpoint of your tile line (assuming a single row of standard 6" pool tile).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

They will put Rebar on the ground and raise it three inches. Then when they pour the gunite it will be three inches above the Rebar. And the plaster on top of the gunite will be 1/2 to an inch thick. Although that is about seven inches I would estimate that the bottom of the pool will be nine inches above where it is now. The water will come up to about half way up the six inch tile which is right in the middle of the skimmer (so you can use the skimmer as an estimate of where the water level will be).

They will put Rebar on the ground and raise it three inches. Then when they pour the gunite it will be three inches above the Rebar. And the plaster on top of the gunite will be 1/2 to an inch thick. Although that is about seven inches I would estimate that the bottom of the pool will be nine inches above where it is now. The water will come up to about half way up the six inch tile which is right in the middle of the skimmer (so you can use the skimmer as an estimate of where the water level will be).

That's what had me worried...I imagined the layers of rebar, gunite, plaster would make the pool even more shallow then it is now. I suppose they know what they're doing - I'll still measure again after final grading haha.

You did me proud! Good job measuring and asking about it! Your next "job" will be to measure again when the steel is put in. Ask you PB how think the gunite will be and go from there.

Kim:cat:

They didn't know what they were doing when they built my pool. After the dig I told them not to put the Rebar in because I thought the depth was wrong. The salesman came over to my house when I wasn't there and called me and assured me he measured and it was right. The next day they did the Rebar and while doing it I spoke with the workers and they agreed they were more than seven inches off. It might have been a foot in an area ( I don't recall).

They kept the rebar and dug under it to fix the problem. And then pushed the Rebar down. If I had accepted their assurances we would have had a big problem.

Don't accept their assurance- make them prove to you that it is right while using your take measure. I took string and put it across the pool in various locations to help me with the measurements

You did me proud! Good job measuring and asking about it! Your next "job" will be to measure again when the steel is put in. Ask you PB how think the gunite will be and go from there.

Kim:cat:

:D We spent too many nights standing in the living room with the measuring tape up to our waists to not get the depth that we want!

They didn't know what they were doing when they built my pool. After the dig I told them not to put the Rebar in because I thought the depth was wrong. The salesman came over to my house when I wasn't there and called me and assured me he measured and it was right. The next day they did the Rebar and while doing it I spoke with the workers and they agreed they were more than seven inches off. It might have been a foot in an area ( I don't recall).

They kept the rebar and dug under it to fix the problem. And then pushed the Rebar down. If I had accepted their assurances we would have had a big problem.

Don't accept their assurance- make them prove to you that it is right while using your take measure. I took string and put it across the pool in various locations to help me with the measurements

Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I'll make sure that one of us are here when they confirm the depth!

Congratulations on the start of your build! Definitely confirm everything yourself, because sometimes they do get measurements off a bit. Nice loungers. We are going to start shopping for patio furniture soon.

I love those loungers. Are they for the sun shelf? I need something for mine, but I want plastic chairs I think.
My PB got all the measurements perfect, including depth and width and anything else. It's a good thing. Because I would never have questioned anything. Ha! I just am on the trusting naive side. But what you describe seems wrong unless they are raising your walls. So do ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jannylee, I'm really trusting too! If it wasn't for this forum I don't think I would have thought to jump in the hole and measure myself haha.
The lounger are for the sun shelf....the company said they come with the legs detached and they will be safe submerged in water. We plan to take them off of the shelf when we're not using the pool. I cannot wait to be sitting on one!!!!

Firehunter, thanks - I just checked out your pool thread. Looks awesome!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.