1.5" sprinkler valve for solar panel?

Wow, $132.99 for just the actuator. My SunTouch solar control unit that came with two temprature sensors, a solar control valve, and the actuator only cost $200.

Not sure about the flow; I just pulled these off the internet.
Going to take the 2" main to the solar and add 1.5" on a "T".
The pressure rating of a pool would not beyond the limit of a garden sprinkler, I wouldn't think.

Any limitations to using, assuming the flow it's OKAY?
I just can't see why I should get the expensive pool version.
Thanks

Does someone know some reason I can't save a ton of money and put in a sprinkler valve (1.5") to open and close a solar panel?

Can't say I've done that but at least your thinking outside the box. At first glance, I am not sure the flow and low pressure of a pool line will be enough to operate the valve but give it a try if you like to experiment.

I was able to find two new actuators on Craigslist for $60 each but I searched for about 4 months before they came along. I use a cheap Orbit sprinkler timer to command them and it works great. My VS pump has all the programming I need for the pump itself and the sprinkler timer takes care of the valve. I'll be using the spare stations of the sprinkler timer to command my peristaltic pumps that will do chlorine and acid injection next.

What about this actuator on Amazon for $80 and free shipping?
https://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-PE24VA-24-Volt-Water-Actuator/dp/B002ZPJVV2

The pressure rating of a pool would not beyond the limit of a garden sprinkler, I wouldn't think.
You may not get enough pool water pressure to activate the valve. I would suggest you talk to the sprinkler valve folks. The savings will quickly evaporate if you put it in and it doesn't work.

I am just saying do some more homework......I do not know the answer.

You do realize that the controller kit measures water temp, temp at the panels and compares those with your desired pool temp. It them turns on the panels and can even switch a pump (or in my case control the pump speed) when ever heat is called for and is available at the panels. It shuts it off at the desired temp, and even has a function that can be used to cool the pool during those hot summer periods. For $200 it gives you the controller, two sensors, a proper solar valve and actuator. Why cobble up a system out of irrigation parts when you can buy a proper system for about the same final total cost?

A single solar valve turns on and off both ends of a solar loop, the valve you are looking at is a simple on/off device. I don't see how you are going to use it to operate a solar system.

Thanks everyone.
This is going to be an addition to a current solar system (after the actuator and returning before the check valve) that's worked for years (on the easytouch system).
Just expanding the system for part of the day when the sun is right.

Good call:
Most sprinkler valves require minimum 20 psi to open/close

Found one (3200150 by Superior) that is "no minimum flow", but that's all I see.

Is it wrong to want to swim 12 months-a-year?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.