yet another DFW pool build thread

If you don't get an auto fill you might want to ask for a pipe plumbed either at the tile line or even below, you can attach a water line and a sprinkler control valve on the same system as your landscaping. Most pools use a predictable amount of water over a given time, so you just set the timer for say 4 minutes a day and adjust up or down from there. You may still have to add a bit of water or turn the system off for a few days now and then but those times will be few and far between.

we've got a young yard (i.e. no trees of any size yet) so shade/cooling will be paramount here in DFW. apart from umbrella sleeves in the decking, aeration is the other option. Some quick searches show some quick and handy DIY options that attach to jets on the shell of the pool and spray a fine mist into the air to help. anything that is 100x easier to install during the build as opposed to after the fact that I'm missing to help in this regard?

was going over some possible design tweaks with the PB. since this is going to be a play/sport pool I was thinking of putting the steps on the other side of the tanning ledge so there would be more room in that skinnier end of the pool? but was also considering extending the bench at the bottom all the way over to the tanning ledge to give us more seating or is that just going to be overkill?

I think your ideas are good ones. I don't have a pool yet, but in our plans we are putting in lots of benches, mostly because of what I've read on here. People like their benches and there are a great place for people to enjoy the pool without having to always be swimming.

I think extending the bench all along the bottom doesn't adversely affect how you will use the main area of the pool and will allow people to spectate and be involved, without actually being in the middle of the swimming action. If you can also incorporate the steps to the left of the ledge (tied in with the bench, maybe) then you would leave the right end of the pool more open which would be great.

well, we're still in the bid process but I think we're getting ready to pick a PB and start this thing. one of the bids had 6 returns initially but dropped it down to 4 after some tweaking.. we gonna regret not having those extra 2 on a pool of this size (play pool, 33x23, 87 perimeter)?

we're looking to 'future proof' the pool for some items we may want to add in the future when the budget allows and wanted to get some thoughts from folks here. apart from running conduit under the decking for landscape lighting, etc.. I was going to try and plan for a future shallow pergola (likely only 4-6' deep) for the two main sitting areas. I've seen some plans for basically just two-legged pergolas and I'd likely stick those on the back side of each of the sitting/retaining walls just to give those spots a little extra shade (though we'll be putting in plenty of umbrella sleeves as well) if and when needed. In order to do this, was thinking of having the PB pour an extra foot of decking behind the 2 side walls so I could have something to anchor the future Simpson deck/post ties into so the pergola posts wouldn't impact the existing seating areas.

Was also going to have them run PVC under the deck and tie into the hose bib so we could add a DIY rinse-off shower head attached to one of the patio posts just for convenience. Might try and incorporate a misting system into the same line for the covered patio as well.

We're running gas out to the fire pit so I was thinking it might not be that much more to have gas run out to the backside of the pool for future fire bowls? Any thoughts on how best to accomplish this?

All good ideas. Like the planning for the future. It should save you money in the long run.

Gas line out for fire bowls----run it while everything is dug up and a mess then cap it with something to "protect" it from feet and mowers or what ever if it is where it would need it.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we've got a standalone hot tub and not an attached spa so I suspect it would be cost prohibitive to add any sort of heater to the pool that might extend the swim season but just a couple of weeks. any thoughts from the experts here? or possibly adding some future-proof items in anticipation of adding solar down the road?

so we're finally getting ready to close this deal I think. I've attached the latest sketch and have noted a couple of items that I think I'd try and tweak after getting some feedback here. We added the 6" step at the left end of long bench at my suggestion so we've got another entry/exit point into the pool but it's still not real convenient to get to that bench from the water so I was thinking of bumping the 6" step about 1.5' to the right along the bench and then add 2 (though might have to be 3) narrow (2' wide, 1.5' tread, ~12" rise) steps at the end. The main issue is we want to keep both ends open so we can swim laps so I can't go crazy with the steps on this end, though could certainly shorten the bench a bit in order to give us a little extra room to work with.

the next issue is with the tanning ledge. we're going 9" deep since I think we'll get better use of it that way but the upper right part of it (circled) isn't going to be of much use if it's that narrow. was thinking we could concave that out instead of in and somehow rework the steps so they don't protrude too much into the end of the pool. may not be possible to grant both wishes though here.

the last issue, and I'm a little surprised the PB didn't notice it, was to join the 18" long bench with the first step off the tanning ledge. it seems silly to have a 2-3' section right off the tanning ledge that drops straight to the pool floor. I was thinking of just joining the 2 (bench and first step off ledge) into one continuous 18" depth and adjust the 2nd step off the ledge as needed. that might involve adding one more small step (like a half circle) in the middle of the 2nd step to get down to the required depth but seems silly to not connect them to me.

appreciate any thoughts/feedback.

latest pool.jpg

the last issue, and I'm a little surprised the PB didn't notice it, was to join the 18" long bench with the first step off the tanning ledge. it seems silly to have a 2-3' section right off the tanning ledge that drops straight to the pool floor. I was thinking of just joining the 2 (bench and first step off ledge) into one continuous 18" depth and adjust the 2nd step off the ledge as needed. that might involve adding one more small step (like a half circle) in the middle of the 2nd step to get down to the required depth but seems silly to not connect them to me.

appreciate any thoughts/feedback.

View attachment 45116

I'll give one are argument for the space without a bench along the ledge. When I'm swimming in my pool, I like to swim underwater (more often than on). So when I approach your ledge, I'd come up and put my hands on your ledge and my head would pop above water and I'd be squatting in the water at shoulder height. That's a great hang-out space while in the pool and talking to those on the ledge. If you have a bench all the way across, then you have to come up and sit on the bench. You already have the bench height next to the ledge. Having a variety of pool depths meeting each other allows for different in pool positions to be enjoyed.

The narrow steps on the left look awkward - too narrow (though I can't tell exactly how wide they are). I'd make them 24" wide at minimum. I like the design overall though I'm a fan of decking all the way around a pool. The many games we play in/around the pool make that almost a necessity for us.

that's a really interesting thought re: tanning ledge and the spot without a bench. I hadn't ever considered that aspect.

as for the narrow steps, I just quickly drew them on. I had noted they'd need to be 24" wide at a minimum. Along those same lines, was thinking the 6" step-in would need to be 36" wide probably. I suppose I could get away with it being 24" as well if I'm really crunched.

hopefully wrapping up the contract soon so we can start to pull permits and HOA fun. the PB was wanting around $900 to run the electrical for the standalone spa. If I'm reading things correctly, the EasyTouch8 can be wired to accept up to 125A? Couldn't I have the EasyTouch8 wired for 125A and use that as the power source for the standalone spa and not need the added electrical for just the spa? perhaps there are some code restrictions that the spa hookup has to be within a certain distance to the spa (I think I recall seeing that somewhere) that might come into play here?

I would off set the light as it is pointed right at the far bench so will be shining right in the eyes of anyone sitting there at night.

Only one light? I worry about the steps on the right side of the tanning shelf. I would think about adding a light just to the right of the arrow that says 16' by the steps.

Kim

I would off set the light as it is pointed right at the far bench so will be shining right in the eyes of anyone sitting there at night.

Only one light? I worry about the steps on the right side of the tanning shelf. I would think about adding a light just to the right of the arrow that says 16' by the steps.

Kim

that's a good point on the light pointing at the far bench. I suppose we could bump it a few feet right, possibly as far as where the long bench meets the tanning ledge? I do wonder about the ability to light the left side of the pool in that event though.

my wife was wanting to use this as a lap pool so we're trying to avoid lights at either end so she's not staring into those while swimming laps.. not sure how to possibly address lighting the stairs though with that restriction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.