yet another DFW pool build thread

I think the light is about as good as it can be. Maybe just a little more to the left. We rarely use our pool light, it is a bug magnet. Although, our light does travel pretty well in the pool, everything gets enough light to see. We have a single 500w old school light. We light the area using lights away from the pool and deck which is nice because it attracts the bugs away from the pool. Floods if we want lots of light and other regular lights for ambient lighting. We also got a nice set of solar LED path lights from Lowes a couple of years ago. Like 100 bucks for a 6 pack. I think this is third 3rd season for them and they all work except one that got attacked by ants.

so after much waiting and back and forth we're supposed to start the dig on Monday. they'll come out and spray paint and we'll review before digging starts. Apart from measuring everything twice to make sure we're getting things dug the right way, anything else to be watchful for? Once dug we'll check for depth, etc..

How exciting! Have you considered adding more umbrella sleeves? I know our pool faces west and in the afternoon when it's hottest and you most need shade, the shade cast by umbrellas does not come straight down, it will be at an angle. So your umbrella on the shelf probably will not be shading the shelf. You can test where the shade goes with a regular rain umbrella in your backyard in the afternoon. And if you want a couple of chaise lounges lined up you may need a little more decking area. They take up a tremendous amount of room. We used chopped Milsap for a retaining wall. I was a little surprised at how much the stone has changed color over a year. I still like the color but it was very monotone when we installed it and now has a lot more variation. ETA: I make it sound like it turned into highly variable flagstone colors, but it didn't. I don't want to panic you. It did change in color though.

How exciting! Have you considered adding more umbrella sleeves? I know our pool faces west and in the afternoon when it's hottest and you most need shade, the shade cast by umbrellas does not come straight down, it will be at an angle. So your umbrella on the shelf probably will not be shading the shelf. You can test where the shade goes with a regular rain umbrella in your backyard in the afternoon. And if you want a couple of chaise lounges lined up you may need a little more decking area. They take up a tremendous amount of room. We used chopped Milsap for a retaining wall. I was a little surprised at how much the stone has changed color over a year. I still like the color but it was very monotone when we installed it and now has a lot more variation. ETA: I make it sound like it turned into highly variable flagstone colors, but it didn't. I don't want to panic you. It did change in color though.

yeah, the PB said we could add as many umbrella sleeves as we wanted so I'm sure we'll be adding several along the decking. the backyard faces ESE so the afternoon sun will be a concern but adding some umbrella sleeves along the right side of the pool will hopefully alleviate some of that

we're not doing solar now but may do so in the future. anything we need to do at the time of build to make it easier later? I had a reference from some thread about 'Stubbed out for solar this include 2 DP returns in the floor of the pool for the solar when we pull the trigger' but can't find what that was referring to now.

rain has torpedoed the excavation recently but we picked out some tile/plaster/coping selections today (no pics. sorry). coping is a gray precast concrete, plaster is Blue Surf (though without any of the pebbles so it's just a straight blue surf plaster) and tile is the Noble Siren (NPOS 654). not much of an update or progress unfortunately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
absolutely zero progress to report due to the rain. they can't get the dumptruck up the hill around back in order to haul off any dirt so we're stuck with a mound of dirt (from the neighbors concurrent build) for probably another week.. sigh..

The rain has slowed everything! :( Our pool has been essentially finished and ready for plaster for a couple weeks, but rain has delayed all the next steps. Our fence guy is backed up, sprinkler guys too (they are converting many of our sprinklers to drip for flower beds behind pool and near house) and the plaster crew. Being patient :)

Hope all goes as scheduled for y'all tomorrow!!

we're set for plumbing/steel early next week. did get the PB to plumb up for a 'deep heat' setup (we're looking to add solar down the road) since we don't have a heater without the attached spa. all the returns are plumbed independently but said they're not all valved separately. should I push for this? I had a note from one of the many threads here that it was handy to have that so problems could be isolated down the road.

I would have as many things valved independently as possible to the point of even paying a little extra to make it happen. You might not need it BUT if you do you will be glad you had it done when you need it. I am all for better safe than sorry.

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.