Yellow mustard algae

Phil60

Aug 31, 2019
Spring TX
In my area the yellow mustard algae quickly started to attack my pool. I went to several pool stores and about all they could do was sell me shock and test my water. One day I was at one of the home improvement stores and started a conversation with a guy buying some chlorine tabs and he told me to use algaecide worked great got rid of the problem and never had to use shock again. Actually yellow algae is not effected by chlorine so it’s not useful. Now I realize that the pool stores or not there to help me but to sell me.

Welcome to the forum!
Sorry to say, but the guy at the home improvement store has no idea what he is talking about.
Mustard Algae - Trouble Free Pool is quite rare.
To eliminate it, you must follow the SLAM Process
To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the https://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html/ A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.