Would this bother you? (pump pictures)

Yeah, I probably would’ve just shook my head and begrudgingly accepted the overspray, but with the paint thinner, completely erased serial numbers, and how he spoke with you - I’d probably play hard ball and refuse to pay until you got a replacement pump. Sucks for him, but his worker should’ve taken more care on both the paint and the cleaning. You have the upper hand until you pay, but once you pay him, there’s 0% chance of getting it rectified. Even having a signed contract with him saying he’ll cover/vouch for the warranty is worthless, unless you’re willing to go to small claims in the future and assuming he’s still in business. What is the warranty on one of those anyways?

If your existing plumbing was painted almond then it seems appropriate that they'd assume you want the new to match.

Overspray is a mistake but not that big of a deal in the long run.

Bills can be due upon receipt and have a pay by date that's later than that, it's not a contradiction.

Idk. Yes overspray on a new pump sucks but it seems like you've played a part escalating this into "difficult customer" territory.
I‘m having difficulty determining what the OP did to deserve the poor customer service, shoddy work, and potentially costly mistakes here.

I guess I would earn the next level beyond ”difficult customer” because I’d be extremely loud and embarrassing until this got fixed.

Reactions: Newdude
I‘m having difficulty determining what the OP did to deserve the poor customer service, shoddy work, and potentially costly mistakes here.

I guess I would earn the next level beyond ”difficult customer” because I’d be extremely loud and embarrassing until this got fixed.
By difficult customer I mean more in the company's view, not an actual judgement of who's right or wrong. Right or wrong, it's not a good idea to do business with people who are annoyed with you.

There's a restaurant near me that has good food and bad service. It's frustrating because the food keep you coming back, but the bad service is annoying. They're borderline rude and will often forget your condiments etc. When I see someone getting irate with them I shake my head because it is what is dude. You want good service? Don't come here, that's not what they serve, and making a scene about it isn't gonna make it any better for you, they'll probably just make your food worse.

If a company bungles an installation, they're likely to bungle the fix. If you keep pressing them further you're just asking to make it worse.

At the point OP is at now I would either cut losses and accept the pump as likely being functionally intact, ask for a discount or credit... or I would unhook it myself, tell them you'd like to return it, and go somewhere else for replacement. What I absolutely wouldn't want is demand it be "made right" by the same company that got you into this situation or you're likely to get the cosmetically perfect lemon that's been sitting in the back of their stock room.

Reactions: Bperry and wgipe
@Kevinr14
Yikes!!!! No way... Completely unacceptable. There is no excuse for this lack of attention-to-detail and workmanship.
Complete "remove and replace" at someone else's expense should be in order here. And they should of masked off those Hi-Temp unions as well as the pump.
Sorry this happened to you....
r.

EDIT: Since you're here in the Phoenix area, can you share with me who did this? If you don't want to say publicly, feel free to send me a PM. Looking at what happened here is really irritating to me. Thanks...

Last edited:
@Kevinr14
Yikes!!!! No way... Completely unacceptable. There is no excuse for this lack of attention-to-detail and workmanship.
Complete "remove and replace" at someone else's expense should be in order here. And they should of masked off those Hi-Temp unions as well as the pump.
Sorry this happened to you....
r.

EDIT: Since you're here in the Phoenix area, can you share with me who did this? If you don't want to say publicly, feel free to send me a PM. Looking at what happened here is really irritating to me. Thanks...

As long as it's not against forum rules, i don't mind sharing <please share via DM...Moderator> For what its worth, they did a full pool remodel in November before i bought this house and i think it was an excellent job. That's why i called them to do the pump. Everyone who has come out has been super nice and helpful. I think they just screwed up on this pump job, made it worse trying to fix it now don't want to deal with it.

I certainly don't want them to repaint it. They're just going make things worse. The owner hasn't contacted me again since saying they'll send someone to paint. I'll try calling and texting again tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Teald024 mentioned in post 16:
The installer just wants you to pay the bills so he can stop returning your phone calls.
I’d get something in writing that he’s going to cover the warranty and have him include the serial numbers and installation date. Either that or he should get a new pump with serial numbers. Without the numbers you’ll have no stance for a claim in the future if you have issues. It’s not likely that you’ll have to file a warranty claim but you will have to decide if you want to take that risk. Him painting over the pump will effectively hide any serial numbers anyway. If it was me, I would not have the pump painted.

Recently I had some service on my equipment. The repairman mentioned something specifically about how my pump is still under warranty as we were looking at the serial numbers. If you have no serial numbers you have no warranty, simple as that. When everything is properly taken care of to your satisfaction then pay the contractor. DO NOT PAY until you are satisfied. That is the only hammer you have with this guy.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know what model pump you have, but last year I purchased a Pentair 3HP 011028 model VSP for $995 and installed it myself. I also received a $350 rebate from my electric company, so $650 total for the pump. I did have to write them a letter indicating that I'm qualified to install my own equipment and they sent an inspector out to verify the installation. For the amount of money you paid for that pump, I'd be furious at their unprofessional attitude towards your investment.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.