Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2021
AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just had a new pentair intelliflo vsf pump installed for $1650. The pump works fine but there's another issue that kinda bothers me. The installer sprayed the new piping to "match" the pump color but they got overspray all over the pump including the control panel lid. And it doesn't match the color. They didn't even try to cover the pump. What's worse is that there were water beads all over the pump still when it was sprayed so once the water dried up, it made it look like a camouflage pattern. I called the company and today they had someone come use paint thinner to get the overspray off. Well, the reason i didn't use paint thinner was because i was concerned it would melt the plastic...well guess what happened when they did...it melted the plastic. The control panel lid was actually stuck to the housing and i had to give it some force to open. The lid has a texture to it now from melting.

So now, the pump looks even worse than it did with just the paint. It looks terrible now. The pump works fine and I understand this is just aesthetics but i paid nearly $1700 and I want it to be perfect. My question is: am i being too picky or would you want the company to fix this?

Picture of the overspray before paint thinner was used...it looks like dirt but its paint.20210322_184301.jpg
20210322_184304.jpg

Pictures after paint thinner...notice sticker tag was virtually erased...not sure if thats a problem for future warranty stuff
20210325_133832.jpg20210325_133835.jpg

I think I would contact Pentaire show them the photos and ask if this would void the warranty. If they say yes I would contact the person who did this and demand they replace the pump. I'm also concerned the paint may have "sealed" your union where the pipe is joined to the pump output. Did you ask for the paint job, or did they tell you they were going to paint it ahead of time?

I would be mad that they took a brand new expensive piece of equipment and made it look like garbage. Even if it doesn't effect the function there has been damage to the esthetic value.

I think I would contact Pentaire show them the photos and ask if this would void the warranty. If they say yes I would contact the person who did this and demand they replace the pump. I'm also concerned the paint may have "sealed" your union where the pipe is joined to the pump output. Did you ask for the paint job, or did they tell you they were going to paint it ahead of time?

I would be mad that they took a brand new expensive piece of equipment and made it look like garbage. Even if it doesn't effect the function there has been damage to the esthetic value.

Good idea on contacting pentair. I called and asked if it could void the warranty and their answer was "it's hard to say...it depends on the warranty company." We all know how hard warranty companies will try to avoid paying so i could absolutely see them saying "your control panel went out but i see someone used some kind of solvent all around it and the plastic was melted/dissolved so it likely caused xyz to stop working."

No i did not ask for them to paint it. They just did it because some of the new pvc piping was bare and existing piping was an almond color.

I probably would have been okay with overspray with the water spots. They did shoddy aesthetic work, but mechanically it could be the best job around. In the end, that is what counts. Also, is $1700 expensive, yes, but that is the cost. I'm sure you wouldn't be okay with it, if it was only $500.00. Personally, I probably grab my wife's nail polish remover or some acetone and gently wipe off as much as I could.

I probably would have been okay with overspray with the water spots. They did shoddy aesthetic work, but mechanically it could be the best job around. In the end, that is what counts. Also, is $1700 expensive, yes, but that is the cost. I'm sure you wouldn't be okay with it, if it was only $500.00. Personally, I probably grab my wife's nail polish remover or some acetone and gently wipe off as much as I could.

If they would have just said "sorry about the paint but there's nothing we can do," i would have been ok with it. I wouldn't have loved it but I'd deal with it. But they said "we can take care of it" and sent someone out with a solvent that made it much worse. That's the same reason i didn't want to try anything to remove it because i figured most anything that removes paint can damage plastic.

In fact, i didn't even call them about the paint issue. I called about a squealing issue which i discussed on the phone and i mentioned it as feed back for the installers when he offered to send someone out to fix it.

The plot thickens and the pool company is being shady. First, the owner doesn't respond to calls or texts. I sent pictures of the pump after being damaged by the solvent. I called and left him a voicemail. He finally calls back and instead of addressing my concerns, he starts out with "you haven't even paid for the pump yet" i told him the invoice he sent me says due 4/04/21 and i will absolutely have it paid by then. It was a confrontational call and the feeling i got was "just pay us so i can stop returning your calls." He said payment is due upon completion so i asked why the invoice says due 4/04. He skirted the question. Anyway, he says he will send someone out to paint the pump. I'm not paying until 4/4 since that is on the invoice. I'm documenting everything they're doing and saying in case this turns into an issue. How frustrating. It's not that difficult to do the right thing for your customer when you screw up.

Last edited:
You're a better man than me. If that was how he started the conversation I would have told him in that case I am not paying a dime until I have an undamaged piece of equipment. Don't like it, come get it and I'll find someone who can do it right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your existing plumbing was painted almond then it seems appropriate that they'd assume you want the new to match.

Overspray is a mistake but not that big of a deal in the long run.

Bills can be due upon receipt and have a pay by date that's later than that, it's not a contradiction.

Idk. Yes overspray on a new pump sucks but it seems like you've played a part escalating this into "difficult customer" territory.

If your existing plumbing was painted almond then it seems appropriate that they'd assume you want the new to match.

Overspray is a mistake but not that big of a deal in the long run.

Bills can be due upon receipt and have a pay by date that's later than that, it's not a contradiction.

Idk. Yes overspray on a new pump sucks but it seems like you've played a part escalating this into "difficult customer" territory.

Maybe you missed the part where they covered the pump in a solvent that has damaged all the plastic. Its not about overspray. They offered to send someone out to "take care of" the overspray when i mentioned it while calling them about something else. They then made it much worse and want to ignore my calls and texts now.

Reactions: dlance and MyAZPool
The installer just wants you to pay the bills so he can stop returning your phone calls.
I’d get something in writing that he’s going to cover the warranty and have him include the serial numbers and installation date. Either that or he should get a new pump with serial numbers. Without the numbers you’ll have no stance for a claim in the future if you have issues. It’s not likely that you’ll have to file a warranty claim but you will have to decide if you want to take that risk. Him painting over the pump will effectively hide any serial numbers anyway. If it was me, I would not have the pump painted.

What a bummer. Given Pentair’s response regarding warranty, I would absolutely insist that they replace the pump and would not give him a dime until he’s done so. It is not at all unreasonable or “difficult” to expect that someone deliver what you paid for.

I have a feeling when they wiped off the serial number they invalidated your warranty. (like those don't tear this off or the whole world will end tag on your mattress ) He damaged the pump with the solvents. And then based on his response I would not pay.. If this ended up in small claims court he would have to make you whole, and you would have to pay the agreed price.. but for now you have the leverage. Tell him you will be happy to pay the agreed upon price for a new pump. The one they installed looks used, the serial number is gone and the control panel cover is damaged. Good luck.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Would bug the snot out of me. You hold all the cards, since you have not made payment. I would insist that I get a pump that is in new condition. That one is not. I would let them come and take the pump and walk away before I'd pay them for that kind of work and equipment.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.