Would this be acceptable, quality plastering workmanship?

chrisbridgers

Jul 25, 2023
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Greetings to all. I'm a home owner that just underwent a total pool renovation (as result of a popped pool, ~3-4" on the skimmer side) and suspect that I've ended up with a bad plaster job. I'm no expert at pool construction or plaster which is why I'm reaching out to this group of experts and gratefully seeking input/advise/comments based on the pictures here, taken within hours after the plastering was completed and while pool was being filled.
Details: I live in Austin Texas and the plastering was performed on a scorching hot day (7/14/23) with temperatures over a 100F. Was re-plastered with traditional white plaster. As evidenced by the photos, there are numerous bumps, deep dents, trowel/tool marks, and considerable lumpiness, and absent a smooth finish on the plastered walls. Any comments on whether this is normal, or perhaps indeed flawed (and whether it might portend future problems), would be much appreciated. Thanks!

1-plaster-1.JPG1-plaster-2.JPG1-plaster-with-trowel-marks-circled-in-red.jpg2-plaster-1.jpeg2-plaster-3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.
Did they do a full chip out of the old plaster or did they just chip out the bad parts of the old plaster?
It appears to have fairly deep trowel marks.

Maybe @AQUA~HOLICS or @1poolman1 can provide some direct feedback.

Hi, Yeah I think so. I was gone a bit of the time and wasn't onsite every single moment to inspect their progress. But this was listed on the estimate/bid, and the original crew did a good job until a specialized plaster sub came in and quality of work declined, IMO.. From invoice:

White Plaster ($8330)​

Drain the pool as needed
Drill holes through the pool floor to relieve hydrostatic pressure as needed
Saw cut under the tiles and around all fittings
Remove any loose and unbonded plaster
Power wash the entire pool and seal around all fittings and niches
Apply 100% bond coat coverage and allow to cure for 48 hours
Install new VGB cove approved anti-vortex main drain covers
Refinish the pool in traditional white plaster"

Greetings to all. I'm a home owner that just underwent a total pool renovation (as result of a popped pool, ~3-4" on the skimmer side) and suspect that I've ended up with a bad plaster job. I'm no expert at pool construction or plaster which is why I'm reaching out to this group of experts and gratefully seeking input/advise/comments based on the pictures here, taken within hours after the plastering was completed and while pool was being filled.
Details: I live in Austin Texas and the plastering was performed on a scorching hot day (7/14/23) with temperatures over a 100F. Was re-plastered with traditional white plaster. As evidenced by the photos, there are numerous bumps, deep dents, trowel/tool marks, and considerable lumpiness, and absent a smooth finish on the plastered walls. Any comments on whether this is normal, or perhaps indeed flawed (and whether it might portend future problems), would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Most contracts, and contractor's boards, require the work to be done " in a workmanlike manner. " That is a high standard the surface of that pool doesn't meet.
From SGM, a pool plaster manufacturing company:
All materials and effected areas should remain above 50°F / 10°C (fifty degrees Fahrenheit / ten degrees Celsius) or below 100°F / 38°C (100 degrees Fahrenheit / 38 degrees Celsius) 24-hours prior and 72-hours after placement.

Reactions: HermanTX
That is a crappy plaster job.
Thanks Allen, that's what I'm building a consensus of. And my basic knowledge of materials science, it's not likely something that can easily be brushed smooth (and fixed) with a brush once the plaster has fully cured, which is something that's being offered as an explanation. Although I am selling my house next month, hence the need to repair the popped pool, I do want to make sure the plaster has some level of integrity / durability (eg: to not delaminate, etc. in short order) for the new home/pool owner to come...

Unfortunately when you turn on the pool lights at night it’s going to make the uneven finish even more noticeable.
With the temperature over 100 at the time of application the plaster was setting up too fast to work the surface to a smooth finish. Tarps and misters may have helped in lowering the surface and air temperature and given the crews the time needed to work the finish properly.

Most contracts, and contractor's boards, require the work to be done " in a workmanlike manner. " That is a high standard the surface of that pool doesn't meet.
From SGM, a pool plaster manufacturing company:
All materials and effected areas should remain above 50°F / 10°C (fifty degrees Fahrenheit / ten degrees Celsius) or below 100°F / 38°C (100 degrees Fahrenheit / 38 degrees Celsius) 24-hours prior and 72-hours after placement.
Thanks for the feedback. One person in the local pool maintenance industry (not my contractor) commented that typically in very warm places (ie: Central Texas in July, in record hot summer) should have used a reflective tarp or tent to minimize direct heat/sun exposure while the pool had a chance to fill. I brought this notion to the attention of the contractor and they said they NEVER do anything like that, and that heat was more or less irrelevant. Anyhow that comment implied that any heat wouldn't be responsible for the bulging, lumpy plaster finish. Any suggestions on how to effectively reproach the contractor with facts and industry standard best-practice to have the plaster subcontractor look at re-doing it, or fixing it?

Thanks Allen, that's what I'm building a consensus of. And my basic knowledge of materials science, it's not likely something that can easily be brushed smooth (and fixed) with a brush once the plaster has fully cured, which is something that's being offered as an explanation. Although I am selling my house next month, hence the need to repair the popped pool, I do want to make sure the plaster has some level of integrity / durability (eg: to not delaminate, etc. in short order) for the new home/pool owner to come...
Brushing will never smooth that surface, its white concrete, essentially. Sanding would do a little, but would remove all that expensive plaster and probably look worse. That job should be done over.

Reactions: chrisbridgers
Unfortunately when you turn on the pool lights at night it’s going to make the uneven finish even more noticeable.
With the temperature over 100 at the time of application the plaster was setting up too fast to work the surface to a smooth finish. Tarps and misters may have helped in lowering the surface and air temperature and given the crews the time needed to work the finish properly.
Geez.. You're absolutely right, and this is the first time I've turned the light on to witness that. Also appears to be way more plaster dust (now silt particles) in the pool than observed in daylight. And I paid the company ~$1000 for a 10-day startup procedure, and still have a mess of silt as that 10-day process nears completion.plaster-night-1.jpegplaster-night-2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

White Plaster ($8330)​

Drain the pool as needed
Drill holes through the pool floor to relieve hydrostatic pressure as needed
Saw cut under the tiles and around all fittings
Remove any loose and unbonded plaster
Power wash the entire pool and seal around all fittings and niches
Apply 100% bond coat coverage and allow to cure for 48 hours
Install new VGB cove approved anti-vortex main drain covers
Refinish the pool in traditional white plaster"
That 4th bullet point indicates they only removed plaster that was “loose and unbonded plaster”. So while they applied bond coat over everywhere, not all old plaster was removed.

Poor workmanship, applying when temperaturs above 100 def F and not a full chip out all contributed to the pool final finish.

That 4th bullet point indicates they only removed plaster that was “loose and unbonded plaster”. So while they applied bond coat over everywhere, not all old plaster was removed.

Poor workmanship, applying when temperaturs above 100 def F and not a full chip out all contributed to the pool final finish.
Thank you so much for that insight.

There estimate literally states. that they didn't chip the plaster out they just pressure washed it to "rough" it up and went over the old surface. i have countless videos of jobs we have re-done because they have hollow spots everywhere 3-6 months down the road over this.

Reactions: chrisbridgers
There estimate literally states. that they didn't chip the plaster out they just pressure washed it to "rough" it up and went over the old surface. i have countless videos of jobs we have re-done because they have hollow spots everywhere 3-6 months down the road over this.
Very helpful, thank you!
And a huge THANKS to everyone who chimed in with their valuable, professional feedback. As a result of sharing this thread with the main contractor, it has helped to get him to agree to have it re-prepped and re-plastered - hopefully by a different plaster sub who actually know what they're doing. And will make sure ALL of the old plaster is removed the right way during the prep work. Thanks again!

Reactions: .ben and KevMo
Very helpful, thank you!
And a huge THANKS to everyone who chimed in with their valuable, professional feedback. As a result of sharing this thread with the main contractor, it has helped to get him to agree to have it re-prepped and re-plastered - hopefully by a different plaster sub who actually know what they're doing. And will make sure ALL of the old plaster is removed the right way during the prep work. Thanks again!
Wasn’t properly chipped out and way too hot for plastering should have done when under 90 degrees or less if would have went to contractor license arbitration they would have definitely required to be redone one of the worst jobs I have seen sorry you had to deal with that

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.