Wiring schematics

RicDedrick

Oct 3, 2020
Southern Ontario
My 1 hp Hayward pump is single speed dual voltage. I prefer to run it on 230volts but the wiring schematics doesn't show the neutral connection. To achieve 230v, I need two 120v feeds, a neutral and a ground. Where on the pump does the neutral connect?

Hi, and welcome to TFP! While others here will likely be able to help you with your wiring, I instead will try to sneak in ahead of them to advise you to seek a professional when it comes to pool wiring. It's not like indoor house wiring, and the consequences for getting it wrong are much more severe. Find a licensed electrician that specializes in pool wiring. Not all electricians or even pool contractors know everything they're supposed to when it comes to a pool. Hint: wiring for 220 and asking about the neutral is a red flag that you're not quite up-to-speed on even basic house wiring, let alone pool wiring. Pardon me if that sounds rude, as that is not my intent. Good luck, be careful.

By the way, as others might ask, why do you think you need to swhich to 230? That's not likely going to help your pump or its performance in any way.

Last edited:
By the way, as others might ask, why do you think you need to which to 230? That's not likely going to help your pump or its performance in any way.

A SS dual voltage pump RPM is limited at 120V to not pull excessive amps. You get max performance out of such a pump when run on 240V. Not that most pools need max pump performance.

A SS dual voltage pump RPM is limited at 120V to not pull excessive amps. You get max performance out of such a pump when run on 240V. Not that most pools need max pump performance.
That would seem to contradict the following post by @mas985, along with a quick look at a list of Hayward pump specs I just found, indicating there is no HP difference between voltages, but that's all I know about this subject. Where can I find the information you're referencing, as I'm curious? More importantly, if the OP doesn't have any actual need to go to 240, especially if the performance will be the same (or adequate for his pool), then why bother?

Other than the supply wiring gauge requirements, there is no difference between a pump wired at 120v vs 240v.

Reactions: Dirk
I suspect that you meant a variable speed pump will limit the amps at 115 volts vs. 230 volts, which is what happens with the Superflo vs.

From the manual, the maximum amps at 115 volts is 13.2. So, that limits the watts to 1,518.

The maximum amps at 230 volts are 11.5. So, that limits the watts to 2,645.

The pump must be reducing the rpm as needed to keep the amp draw below 13.2 when the voltage is 115.

full

I suspect that you meant a variable speed pump will limit the amps at 115 volts vs. 230 volts, which is what happens with the Superflo vs.

From the manual, the maximum amps at 115 volts is 13.2. So, that limits the watts to 1,518.

The maximum amps at 230 volts are 11.5. So, that limits the watts to 2,645.

The pump must be reducing the rpm as needed to keep the amp draw below 13.2 when the voltage is 115.

full

Yup, that is what I remembered. VS pumps, not SS pump performance varies depending on voltage.

Reactions: JamesW
From what I remember most VS pumps that come in dual voltage don't behave that way. The Superflo and I think there is one other that may do that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
These Jandy pumps limit the power on 115 volts.

VSFHP270DV2A. 2.7 hp.

230 VAC. 10.5 amp. 2,550 watts.

115 VAC. 16.0 amps. 1,840 watts.

VSPHP270DV2A. 2.7 hp.

230 VAC. 10.5 amp. 2,250 watts.

115 VAC. 16 amps. 1,840 watts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.