birdman579

Dec 18, 2020
Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I live in Maryland and plan to close my pool myself for the first time. Overall, the process seems straightforward except for winterizing the sheer descents pump. I have a dedicated pump located below the waterline that pulls water from a dedicated drain in the deep end. The return is a single pipe into the ground that feeds 4 sheer descents. There is only one valve on the suction side of the pump.

Specific questions: how do I get all the water out? It seems like water could easily get trapped in one of the pipes to a sheer descent because there’s no way to isolate each of the pipes.

Another question: how do I connect my air blower to blow out the suction side? My other pumps have threaded plugs that I can attach my Cyclone. This pump does not. Is there a fitting I can use to the actual pump?

Thanks!

Post pics of your equipment pad, water feature pump, and valves.

You have to get creative. See Modified Pump Cover to Connect Blower for Closing Swimming Pool

With a single pipe feeding four sheers I would check that I can feel air coming out of all the sheers. Maybe tape up or block three of the four sheers to force air to come out of each one.

Your builder should have given more thought to winterizing your pool.

Here’s a picture of the sheer descents pump (on the left). I have so many pumps it takes several pictures to capture everything 😆. I’m the 3rd owner of the pool so whatever was installed originally may have been removed by someone that didn’t understand the design.

Attachments

• ED7DDDF6-6944-4714-9023-441440DCCF50.jpeg
    ED7DDDF6-6944-4714-9023-441440DCCF50.jpeg
    536.4 KB · Views: 11
You can use the modified cover, lock off the valve on the output side so all the pressure goes towards the suction side the after lots of air bubbles come out close that valve to air lock the line. Then open up the output and blow for a good time to rid the pipe of water. Don't forget the one or two drain plugs at the pump base.

Sounds reasonable. What is the modified cover? Is that something I make? I haven’t seen one in the pile of old equipment/supplies left by the previous owners.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.