Winterizing Above Ground Pool with Hard piped plumbing

jbilliel

May 5, 2020
Connecticut
I have a new above ground pool with a pool heater and hayward pump and filter that were installed with 1.5" PVC. While I technically could remove the pump, filter and disconnect all the plumbing, do I have to?

Can I suck all the water out, take the cartridge filter out, pull the plugs out of the pump, put some anitfreeze in the lines for good measure and call it a day?

Do you have a shop vac or leaf blower? Try to blow the water out of the lines. If you use antifreeze do not use radiator antifreeze for cars. They sell pool antifreeze for this purpose.

At my old house (still in Ontario) we just sucked out the underground piping that went to the heater with a shop vac and unscrewed the pipes. Never used antifreeze.

I took everything apart, sucked all the water out and am thinking about just putting it back together dry and leaving it outside since I really don't have the room to store it all in my basement. Should I do anything to the pump to protect it from the winter elements? Perhaps I bring the pump inside, but leave everything else connected outside and put something over the plumbing so no animals get into the plumbing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.