Jul 23, 2021
Mchenry, illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,
So it’s our first year with an above ground pool, we just moved in, and I’m wondering after we close it for the year are there any special things we have to do it over the winter before we open it next spring? I just don’t wanna open it to a pool full of algae.
thanks! 🌸

So I’m wondering when is a good time in Chicago to winterize a pool? It’s going to be 70 the next two days, but it gets to high 30s low 40s at night, and the pool water is 58. Thank you!

If you think that’s it, then it’s a great time to close in a few days. Doing so at Slam level will take quite some time to burn off once covered an hopefully get you to when it’s cold-cold.

Some years the universe throws some hot weeks back at us long after the fact. Whattayagonnado? :ROFLMAO:

Opening early when it’s still cool makes it a one sided fight if needed, because the algae is still dormant.

Send my condolences to the sad doggy shark that doesn’t understand any of this nonsense.

Reactions: Jennybird
If you think that’s it, then it’s a great time to close in a few days. Doing so at Slam level will take quite some time to burn off once covered an hopefully get you to when it’s cold-cold.

Some years the universe throws some hot weeks back at us long after the fact. Whattayagonnado? :ROFLMAO:

Opening early when it’s still cool makes it a one sided fight if needed, because the algae is still dormant.

Send my condolences to the sad doggy shark that doesn’t understand any of this nonsense.
Thank you, my doggie shark will be anxiously waiting til next year! 😂
When would be a good time to open so the algae is dormant?

When would be a good time to open so the algae is dormant?
Just like now….. and sorry for the non answer…. But it all goes by the weather. 🤷‍♂️

It could be warm early, or cold late. Gotta wait and see. Once it’s on its way (also just like now) sometimes Mother Nature changes her mind for one last hurrah of winter in April/May. In those times, it’s not cold enough or long enough to do any freeze damage so running the pump for a few days is all you’ll need. *if* it snaps cold again.

*water temps of 60 is your target for both. Right now it’s 58 and technically ok but it would only take a few warm days to push it back to 65. So wait until the extended forecast seems stable and below what you have today and close ‘er up. The exact reverse is your spring plan. Get past the last freeze and let ‘er rip. If you open ‘too early’ the daily FC loss will be next to nothing so it’s not like you’ll be slaving away at the pool in April. Your daily adds will last a week or two each at that time.

Reactions: Jennybird
*water temps of 60 is your target for both. Right now it’s 58 and technically ok but it would only take a few warm days to push it back to 65. So wait until the extended forecast seems stable and below what you have today and close ‘er up. The exact reverse is your spring plan. Get past the last freeze and let ‘er rip. If you open ‘too early’ the daily FC loss will be next to nothing so it’s not like you’ll be slaving away at the pool in April. Your daily adds will last a week or two each at that time.
Thank you!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.