Mar 17, 2021
Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey y'all,

So I'm closing my pool for the first time, but I know for a fact the pool company who had done it the previous few years never dropped the pool water level at closing time.

If I blow the skimmer lines won't it be impossible to keep the water out if the water level is the normal level? Unless I hold the weir door up to block the water from the pool until the skimmer is dry, and then screw in the gizmo and then
just let the water back in the skimmer basket around the gizmos? I thought I wanted the basket dry though? The gizmos they had been using that I have are solid plastic. I'm ready to go but a bit confused on this one detail.
Were they just not even clearing the skimmer lines??? lol...

Thanks for any help!

Dry would be ideal, but unless the water level is lower than the skimmer, you would need to stop or slow the amount of water trying to enter the skimmer while you hustle to insert the Gizmo. Closing the weir would help. Once the Gizmo is inserted, it's no different than some owners who then raise their water level back up to support their pool cover. Whether that or winter rain accumulation, the Gizmo should protect the skimmer and plumbing line. However you can also add a couple pieces of a cut-up pool noodles in the skimmer as additional protection from water that may accumulate and try to expand. @Newdude anything else to add?

Reactions: Newdude
Dry would be ideal, but unless the water level is lower than the skimmer, you would need to stop or slow the amount of water trying to enter the skimmer while you hustle to insert the Gizmo. Closing the weir would help. Once the Gizmo is inserted, it's no different than some owners who then raise their water level back up to support their pool cover. Whether that or winter rain accumulation, the Gizmo should protect the skimmer and plumbing line. However you can also add a couple pieces of a cut-up pool noodles in the skimmer as additional protection from water that may accumulate and try to expand. @Newdude anything else to add?
Great, much appreciated. That's a good point as well, I do want the water level up for the pool cover. I'll 'battle' to get the gizmo in, then add some pool noodle as well. Now I'll see if my pancake air compressor will get the job done, or if I need to hunt down a cyclone blower. Thanks!

The pool company may have just carried the 5 sizes (?) of skimmer mouth plugs to stop the water while they worked. 2 of those sizes probably cover most pools. 🤷‍♂️

If you go the hold the weir door closed route, you should be able to remove the blower and get the gizmo in one fell swoop without letting much water back in the pipe. The low spot were that 10th of a gallon collects should be below the frost line and antifreeze from the equipment side is secondary insurance on top of the original blow out insurance.

The pool company may have just carried the 5 sizes (?) of skimmer mouth plugs to stop the water while they worked. 2 of those sizes probably cover most pools. 🤷‍♂️

If you go the hold the weir door closed route, you should be able to remove the blower and get the gizmo in one fell swoop without letting much water back in the pipe. The low spot were that 10th of a gallon collects should be below the frost line and antifreeze from the equipment side is secondary insurance on top of the original blow out insurance.
Yeah, for sure. I'll have a helper on hand so that will make it more manageable. I think I'll grab gizzmos with the spout on top in the future....that'll make it simple.
Just wasn't sure if it was a major nono to leave water in the basket but with the gizzmo and some pool noodle, should be fine. Thanks!

Okay, so I've closed my pool and it went pretty well. I didn't love how my 'few year old' gizzmos fit, not sure if the threads are out of whack or what...so I ordered new ones and I might just blow the skimmer lines again on a warm day and use the new gizzmos instead.

Also, curious....besides being a detriment to the water chemistry, is there any other negative reasons NOT to put a cover on my pool?

is there any other negative reasons NOT to put a cover on my pool?
It's a crud shoot if the liner may fade faster with 5 more months exposed to UV, but it's very little UV this time of year, so 🤷‍♂️

The biggest reason to cover is falling debris. I lived on a heavily treed yard and crud fell all year. Now I'm on an open yard and don't need to. I did get a safety cover but it's solely for the dogs, so they don't fall through the ice taking 'the shortcut'.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.