Winterizing my pool

ammonz

Jun 14, 2021
Chanhassen, MN
First time closing my pool. After completing blowing out my skimmers and return lines. I am using 2 Gizmos in the skimmers and 2 duck valves in the return jets. I wanted to wait a week after I blew out the lines to see if water was returning to the lines. Well, after a week I again blew out 2 skimmers and 2 return jets, and all four lines had water return. (Eventually, I will be adding anti-freeze to the lines.) What would be the cause of water returning in the lines? I just want to make sure I am safe for the winter.

Can you post pics? Did you plug everything at the equipment pad as well? Does your main drain tie into your skimmers? Once sealed, NO water should enter those lines.

First time closing my pool. After completing blowing out my skimmers and return lines. I am using 2 Gizmos in the skimmers and 2 duck valves in the return jets. I wanted to wait a week after I blew out the lines to see if water was returning to the lines. Well, after a week I again blew out 2 skimmers and 2 return jets, and all four lines had water return. (Eventually, I will be adding anti-freeze to the lines.) What would be the cause of water returning in the lines? I just want to make sure I am safe for the winter.
The newer gizmos have an o-ring that can slip up the tube when you tighten them down. The solution to that is to only tighten them just enough to have the oring compress a little bit. Or you can Teflon tape the threads instead.

Depending on which duck valves they are, I’ve read they don’t always work reliably. I have some bungee valves that don’t seem to seal all that well either.

The newer gizmos have an o-ring that can slip up the tube when you tighten them down. The solution to that is to only tighten them just enough to have the oring compress a little bit. Or you can Teflon tape the threads instead.

Depending on which duck valves they are, I’ve read they don’t always work reliably. I have some bungee valves that don’t seem to seal all that well either.
I used Teflon tape on both the gizmos and duck valves. I retightend everything wait a couple of days and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Can you post pics? Did you plug everything at the equipment pad as well? Does your main drain tie into your skimmers? Once sealed, NO water should enter those lines.
As I am aware the main drain is not tied into the skimmers. I haven't been able to use the main drain in the 3 years that I have owned the pool. I have the valve turned off. I have tried to use the main drain once and it sucked too much air.

I didn't plug anything at the pad. I closed all the valves thinking that would create an air lock.
That will just lock any water that is in the pipe at the valve. You have to evacuate the water somehow. You must drain all the equipment as well. If you’re in MN, you better do it right as that winter is no joke.

As I am aware the main drain is not tied into the skimmers. I haven't been able to use the main drain in the 3 years that I have owned the pool. I have the valve turned off. I have tried to use the main drain once and it sucked too much air.
That may be because someone in the past didn’t blow the line before winter and caused it to break. Don’t let that happen to the other lines. Get them blown out and sealed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.