Perth, Western Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Monarch ESC24 / ESC7000
We had to "go elsewhere" for "a few" months and in a hurry. Last time I looked at the pool water was in February. Balance was good with plenty of salt. Pool was uncovered and maintenance consisted of my mother clearing the skimmer basket once a month.
Come November and it's time to head home, the pool water was clear but a thick green blanket of decomposing organics on the bottom. I got mum to tip in the remains of a bottle of chlorine (some 33ppm worth). Had her pop to the pool store for a cya and salt test, and brought home enough of both to hit 50ppm cya and 3500ppm salt and turned the filter on manual, then got her to sweep the bottom. So the clear water turned into green soup, then blue soup and that's how it remained. When the cya had dissolved I had her put the filter back on auto (1 hour in the morning, 4 at night).

We got home last week to a blue soup and filter pressure through the roof, so backwashed the filter, put the suction cleaner in and got it to pull most of the stuff off the bottom and into the skimmer & filter (yeah, yeah, I know). Backwash filter again and we're back in business. Less than a week later and after an extra 10ppm cya, 110ppm calcium, 1000ppm salt and 46ppm boates we're back to crystal clear water. pH remained bang on the entire time.

A quick recovery from nearly a year of neglect. Lost a heap of chemicals over winter with rain overflow, but it was all good. There was just enough salt to keep the green peril at bay. No algae on the sides, just in the organic matter on the bottom.
The fibreglass is shagged and there's now some persistent black flecks in the bits where the gelcoat has gone, but it's 50 years old next year and probably due for a re-coat. I might give it a rub with a sock full of cal-hypo just to see what happens. After 50 years another couple isn't going to hurt.

No questions, just needed to vent and nobody else around my place wants to talk about the pool. They just want to swim in it.

You have to look at the bright side: At least it didn't split while you were "elsewhere". Still a bummer...

Nope, you are dead right. On the other hand our hot water cylinder did that and we lost ~146KL of hot water. The water & gas bill was “not insignificant”. Could have filled the pool a few times over with bath temperature water!

New Davey CCF21 installed. Had a bit of bother with the new filter not coming with the fittings but including the valve, and being supplied with the filter *and* a (seperately boxed) new valve including fittings but the new valve not fitting the filter (internal riser too long). The new fittings also didn't fit the old valve (too long). Apparently Davey didn't have any 21" units in WA, but promised me to try and get me one 'by Christmas". That doesn't cut it with the kids, so had to modify the guts to fit the new valve (just had to shorten the internal pipework by 21mm. The other option was to chuck up the new fittings and shorten them in the lathe, but doing it this way I get the current spec valve should I run into trouble in the future (10 year warranty on tank, but only 2 on the valve).

Of course when I piped it up I transposed the pump and return ports, so a bit more re-work required to fix that one. Still, it's working now. Only 48 hours with no filter and we're back online.

The pool store offered to replace the 21" with a 25", but I don't have the pump or pipework to meet the minimum backwash flow on the bigger pot. Hopefully that's my excitement for summer over.

Of course when I piped it up I transposed the pump and return ports, so a bit more re-work required to fix that one. Still, it's working now. Only 48 hours with no filter and we're back online.
It doesn’t take long to destroy the filters if the flow is reversed. They have no strength from the inside out. Use them only the absolute least that you have to until the flow is corrected.

edit. Just realized it’s probably not a cartridge filter.

edit. Just realized it’s probably not a cartridge filter.

Nope, and my first move was to backwash it, so I had zero flow out the backwash port and the pressure gauge was flatlined, so it was fairly quickly evident that I'd completely "got it wrong". I even checked it twice, and re-read the instructions before I started.

I blame the heat (it hit just over 40C) combined with not enough beer.

Reactions: Newdude
Looks like you are getting there. At least you seem to have the weather for a pool. Not like bloody Melbourne, pool is freezing cold again, just in time for Christmas...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.