Winter cover- losing water

Jul 1, 2013
New Jersey
Hi everyone. Still rather cold here in the northeast, but looking for some help while my pool is still closed. Quick back story, Closed pool for the winter back in October and all was well until my cover pump died. I ended up buying a "better" more powerful pump for my cover. I did reuse my tarp cover from last year which I think now has some rather small holes in it. Water level has dropped significantly and as I was pumping water off the cover, it was never really emptying off the cover it seemed. I think due to the small holes I have actually been pumping out pool water!

My question is, how do I now try and resolve this issue? Seems as though there is no way to empty the cover only so I can replace it and refill my pool. Any ideas or tips here I can try to get the water off my cover so I can refill?

Thanks for any help you can give me in the cold northeast!

Dump the water on your cover into your pool. You will get the pool cleaned up once you open it.

Thanks Allen.. sounds like the only solution.
I was hoping there would be a "trick" someone had so all these leaves wouldn't have to fall in!

I will use a pool brush to rake off leaves sitting on my cover before it gets dumped into the pool. It gets some of them and reduces the pool cleanup.

Thanks Allen.. sounds like the only solution.
I was hoping there would be a "trick" someone had so all these leaves wouldn't have to fall in!
Do you not have a way to stick a hose under the cover to fill the pool?
I would net off whatever debris you can for sure :)
One thing we do now, is leave our solar cover under the winter tarp, it prevents the pool siphon issue.

I'll try and scoop as much as possible off the cover first.
I can put a hose under cover and add water. I actually started doing that and noticed since the cover is so low at this point all the water I was adding was just running through the holes in the cover to the top. Not what I was planning.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.