Please help! Pool lost a foot of water

rbrand1003

May 17, 2023
Champaign, Il
I have a 32x16 fiberglass pool built in 2022. Currently closed and winterized in central IL. Last week the pool was frozen solid and the level was fine. This past Monday we had an ice storm and I noticed the next day that my pool had begun losing water under the cover but a great deal of water was on top of the cover. I was instructed to pump the water off and did so. It took about 2 1/2 hours and it seemed like it was more water on their than precipitation we got. Then overnight the cover became wet again despite no more precipitation, more water loss occurred.

The concrete deck near the shallow end of my pool has a crack it didn't have before. We had a sudden deep freeze and several frost quakes in the area. I'm a bit panicked as the pool is still ice and leak detection can't come out until it's defrosted enough to get the cover off. But I'm scared that by then the water will be so low that the autocover won't be able to retract safely.

Called the pool builder. They said that the only thing I should worry about for now is keeping the water off the cover. But if the water is pool water, then aren't I doing more harm than good there?

Added pics. These were taken Wednesday. The water has dropped a bit more since then. The cover pump is still on and the cover seems wetter than should be for the precipitation we've gotten.

Very nervous and would appreciate any insight.

Attachments

• 20240124_161832.jpg
    20240124_161832.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240124_161757.jpg
    20240124_161757.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240124_161740.jpg
    20240124_161740.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 36
I have a 32x16 fiberglass pool built in 2022. Currently closed and winterized in central IL. Last week the pool was frozen solid and the level was fine. This past Monday we had an ice storm and I noticed the next day that my pool had begun losing water under the cover but a great deal of water was on top of the cover. I was instructed to pump the water off and did so. It took about 2 1/2 hours and it seemed like it was more water on their than precipitation we got. Then overnight the cover became wet again despite no more precipitation, more water loss occurred.

The concrete deck near the shallow end of my pool has a crack it didn't have before. We had a sudden deep freeze and several frost quakes in the area. I'm a bit panicked as the pool is still ice and leak detection can't come out until it's defrosted enough to get the cover off. But I'm scared that by then the water will be so low that the autocover won't be able to retract safely.

Called the pool builder. They said that the only thing I should worry about for now is keeping the water off the cover. But if the water is pool water, then aren't I doing more harm than good there?

Added pics. These were taken Wednesday. The water has dropped a bit more since then. The cover pump is still on and the cover seems wetter than should be for the precipitation we've gotten.

Very nervous and would appreciate any insight.
Are you using an auto cover for a winter cover? You have to keep water off of it but if the cover sits in the water in the pool, you’re just pumping out pool water as it soaks through the cover.

Are you using an auto cover for a winter cover? You have to keep water off of it but if the cover sits in the water in the pool, you’re just pumping out pool water as it soaks through the cover.

Yes, I was told by my builder that this was okay. I know now that it is not.

So do you think that the cover pump on top of the auto cover isnt pumping rain waters but actually pulling pool water thru the cover?

How do I retract autocover if there is a lot of pool water on it? I can't see any obvious tears.
You can't retract the cover when water is on it as the amp limiter in the controller stops it so you won't damage the pool cover motor trying to open it. Hate to break the news to you but in your demographics I wouldn't waste an expensive cover on winter use. The cover you should have next winter should be a loop-lock or similar cover which isn't dependent on pool water level and is able to be opened up enough to see the water level below. For now I see only one option which is to keep pumping to the point that there's no more water so the POOL COMPANY can open it to see if the leak is the pool or the cover having a tear somwhere bringing pool water to the top of the cover. I would leave the pool uncovered for now and just make sure the water level is proper for the winter level. If you can get a winter cover still this season I'd go for it.

Reactions: Newdude
You are going to need a pump that can pump the water off of the cover faster than it can accumulate.

They are out there, but they are pricey.

Might be worth checking with the pool builder

You can't retract the cover when water is on it as the amp limiter in the controller stops it so you won't damage the pool cover motor trying to open it. Hate to break the news to you but in your demographics I wouldn't waste an expensive cover on winter use. The cover you should have next winter should be a loop-lock or similar cover which isn't dependent on pool water level and is able to be opened up enough to see the water level below. For now I see only one option which is to keep pumping to the point that there's no more water so the POOL COMPANY can open it to see if the leak is the pool or the cover having a tear somwhere bringing pool water to the top of the cover. I would leave the pool uncovered for now and just make sure the water level is proper for the winter level. If you can get a winter cover still this season I'd go for it.

I'm worried if my pool does have a leak that it will pop out of the ground if I try and take the rain off the cover now. The pool level water about level with the returns and if it falls even further then it'll pop. We've had a lot of rain this month. It's been the 11th wettest January on record. And I cannot access my sump pit as my "genius" pool builder put it in a place that I need to completely open my cover to access.

I know now that I shouldn't have used my auto cover. We used it last winter with no issues, but this January has been brutal in terms of weather.

I have a 1/4 HP and a 1/3 HP pump, would that be enough to pump faster than it refills if it is a cover tear? I vacillate between cover tear and broken return line.

Tear in cover because water accumulates even when there is no precipitation and there is a white residue left on dry spots. I think this may be pools salts leftover after the water has evaporated.

Broken return line because there is a puddle on the side of the pool near where the return line is and that happens to also be where the water line dropped to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm worried if my pool does have a leak that it will pop out of the ground if I try and take the rain off the cover now. The pool level water about level with the returns and if it falls even further then it'll pop. We've had a lot of rain this month. It's been the 11th wettest January on record. And I cannot access my sump pit as my "genius" pool builder put it in a place that I need to completely open my cover to access.

I know now that I shouldn't have used my auto cover. We used it last winter with no issues, but this January has been brutal in terms of weather.

I have a 1/4 HP and a 1/3 HP pump, would that be enough to pump faster than it refills if it is a cover tear? I vacillate between cover tear and broken return line.

Tear in cover because water accumulates even when there is no precipitation and there is a white residue left on dry spots. I think this may be pools salts leftover after the water has evaporated.

Broken return line because there is a puddle on the side of the pool near where the return line is and that happens to also be where the water line dropped to.
Maybe I don’t understand but the pictures make it look like there’s just a few ice chucks on the cover along with unfrozen water near the pump. Why not just net the ice off and then retract the cover?

The pool water under the cover was frozen. Would the cover retract with the pool being frozen?

Those pics are from 1/24. The water has dropped more since then.

I think I’m with Newdude. Remove the pump so it doesn’t sag the cover excessively any longer and fill it back up and wait for it to melt before re-assessing. If it keeps draining after the pump has been removed then you might have a leak.

Can we get current pics of the pool and surrounding areas ?

Is it still flooding/puddling or did it stop once the water level reached that height?

Can we get current pics of the pool and surrounding areas ?

Is it still flooding/puddling or did it stop once the water level reached that height?

The yard flooding is in my neighbor's side of the fence. It is hard to say for 100% sure that it is not from the heavy rains we've had because that part of his yard has always typically flooded.

Pics from today. We had heavy rain, the cover pump was unplugged. The cover should have more water than that.

The most concerning part though is that I have two new diagonal cracks in my concrete. Both near the shallow end. Last two pics.

Attachments

• 20240129_100708.jpg
    20240129_100708.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240129_100547.jpg
    20240129_100547.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240129_100720.jpg
    20240129_100720.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240129_100434.jpg
    20240129_100434.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240129_100723.jpg
    20240129_100723.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240129_100735.jpg
    20240129_100735.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240129_100827.jpg
    20240129_100827.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240129_100917.jpg
    20240129_100917.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240129_100858.jpg
    20240129_100858.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 14
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.