Winter cover cleaner: Good Idea or the next PoolRx?

TheDeuce

Gold Supporter
Jul 9, 2019
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey experts!

I'm wondering what the field thinks about the use of BioGuard Stow Away for cleaning my winter cover before storing it for the summer. For our first two years of pool ownership the pool builder came out to do the opening and one step they did was to scrub our winter cover with Stow Away before folding it up and bagging it. I'm removing the cover myself this season and I'm wondering if there's any real value to doing the Stow Away scrub.

Follow up question: if you guys recommend the use of Stow Away is it OK if I do the scrubbing while the cover is still spread out on the pool? Our PB did it that way BUT the instructions on the bottle say that the cover should be spread out on the lawn before using the product, which seems to me to be an invitation to get our cover grassy and dirty. Any reason to do it one way over the other?

Thanks in advance!

m.

The MSDS for Bioguard Stowaway says it contains 2% Quaternary ammonium compounds, benzyl-C12-16-alkyldimethyl, chlorides - https://www.hydropool.com/downloads/MSDS/bioguard/bioguard-stow-away-msds.pdf

I don't particularly want that in my pool although it will be consumed by your chlorine after a while. It will cause higher chlorine demand for a while.

For 20 years my solid pool cover gets dunked int he pool while removing it, left to drain while ont he pool deck, folded, put in its mesh bag, and left to dry before being stored in the garage. I think cleaning with Stowaway is unnecessary and just another Bioguard product to do monetary transfer from you to them.

Reactions: CraigChing
We let our mesh safety cover air out on the driveway, sweep it off once dry, then accordion fold it so it lays out easy for closing, and store it up high in the garage, away from any pests that could get at it in the mesh bag. 3 years and so far so good!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.